Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Lopez vs. Howard

i think our best chance to get dwight is to trade lopez for him, even though our pipe dream would be to simply get him via free agency. however, seeing lopez blossom these last few games, it's making me regret the idea more and more.

lopez and dwight are polar opposites. howard excels from his strength, quickness, and defense. lopez excels from his shooting touch, footwork, and offensive fundamentals.

howard is a terrible free throw shooter, brook is very efficient. sigh, if only you could combine the strengths of both big men. or get them both on the same team.

thoughts?

Default Re: Lopez vs. Howard

If the Only way to get Howard is to trade Lopez then I will do it in a heartbeat.

of course i would do it, too. no questions asked. dwight is the best center in the league hands down and can single handedly carry a team to contention and no one would pass up the opportunity to pair him up with the best point guard in the league.

it's just that now, we're seeing the potential of a motivated brook lopez, and it's obvious that this guy's a stud. not a project like favors. lopez is unequivocally a stud center right now, a valuable piece. what's also clear is that almost every strength of lopez is a weakness for dwight.

for me, it would be a slow and reluctant heartbeat for lack of a better phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by RecSpecs110
    of course i would do it, too. no questions asked. dwight is the best center in the league hands down and can single handedly carry a team to contention and no one would pass up the opportunity to pair him up with the best point guard in the league.

it's just that now, we're seeing the potential of a motivated brook lopez, and it's obvious that this guy's a stud. not a project like favors. lopez is unequivocally a stud center right now, a valuable piece. what's also clear is that almost every strength of lopez is a weakness for dwight.

for me, it would be a slow and reluctant heartbeat for lack of a better phrase.
    I Like Lopez and he has a bright future. Lopez is gifted offensively. Give Dwight touches and he is just as good as Lopez is Offensively. Not to mention Dwight's Defense and posting up ability
    Last edited by D12"Magic"; 03-12-2011 at 02:06 AM.

   

hard for me to post well from this phone gadget, but just wanted to say- i found the topic &posts very apt & intelligent, recspecs. i really enjoy watching players blossom with the team that draftd them, so it would be tough for me to see lopez go... even for the likes of howard.

and one random note- i am really looking forward to the attractive power that brooklyn & the charles barkley facility are going to have on other players around the league, including dwight. it's going to be like having a couple all-star recruiters working for us 24/7, for free. i mean, the old problem of how to attract good players to the nets is going to quickly turn into 'let's make sure we don't make any bad signings or overpay anyone too much', if you know what i mean.

and the issue of making sure that d-will is happy now & happy w the future seems to be evaporating by the day. ^_^

thanks, and i agree. i'm confident that the nets can re-sign deron if they follow through and get more talent on the team. everything else we have is more enticing than any other team.

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

A few weeks ago I loved the idea of getting Dwight Howard. I watched many of the Magic's games when Vince was playing for them. Now, the idea of getting rid of Brook Lopez for Dwight is not as good, simply because Lopez is a few years younger, and Dwight demands the ball way too much, which would decrease other players shots, like Morrow,or Farmer, and I don't like that. Basically having Howard on the team means the ball will always be dumped down low into him, and that's not the Nets offense. I would love to keep Deron and Brook, and surround these two superstars with a third star, that plays amazing defense. Josh Smith comes to mind. I hope his name can come up in Billy King's mind soon.

   

Quote Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
    Josh Smith comes to mind. I hope his name can come up in Billy King's mind soon.
    LOL

(edit- not laughing at your suggestion of smith, but over the way you stated that last line)

anyway, good post, and i agree with a lot of it. if the nets were only able to get howard in a sign-and-trade, i don't think it would be a good move. you know, because the wing positions and the bench need a talent infusion, and by giving up several #1 picks to get howard, we'd be stuck for years with mediocrity at too many positions... like the miami heat.
    Last edited by gigantes; 03-15-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Hey Hey! I got a better idea. We should first re-sign Humphries and then package him in a deal for Howard instead of Brook. Humphries' increased value will help us.

That way we can slide Brook to a more comfortable position at PF, and have all the benefits on our frontcourt. Brook's post play, shooting touch and free throws. Combined with Dwight's defense, rebounding, and shot blocking.

I would hate to see Humphries go, but Dwight does everything he does and much more.

That would be EPIC!!!

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
    Dwight demands the ball way too much, which would decrease other players shots, like Morrow,or Farmer, and I don't like that.
    I think you'd be the only person in this entire universe that would prefer Anthony Morrow or Jordan Farmar to shoot than Dwight freaking Howard. Brook already takes 3-4 more shots a game than Dwight and shoots 12% worse. Obviously as a Net, we'd hope to get Dwight's shot average to around 15-20, but that's a good thing. When a guy makes 60% of his shots and shoots 15-20 shots per game...that's a good thing.

Oh, and I'd trade Brook easily.

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    I think you'd be the only person in this entire universe that would prefer Anthony Morrow or Jordan Farmar to shoot than Dwight freaking Howard. Brook already takes 3-4 more shots a game than Dwight and shoots 12% worse. Obviously as a Net, we'd hope to get Dwight's shot average to around 15-20, but that's a good thing. When a guy makes 60% of his shots and shoots 15-20 shots per game...that's a good thing.

Oh, and I'd trade Brook easily.

I don't prefer it, but I have seen how a dwight howard offense looks like. I watched the entire boston vs magic series, where even the commentators stated that the magic are doing the celtics a favor by giving dwight the ball rather then, vince or jameer, or whom ever. don't get me wrong having dwight howard doesn't make us a bad team. i just don't prefer giving up lopez who is several years younger, and nearly identical, stats wise. but if we can get them both on the nets that would be amazing. i can see a co-existence between them two.

   

@recspecs,
    brook at PF? hmm...

i could maybe see that working on the offensive end, but on the defensive end, i reckon he'd get left in the dust against the average NBA PF.

feel free to convince me, though.

I agree with Gigs here. I dont think Brook is fit to play PF, if we get Dwight, hes probably gone. Either is great though. I really dont mind if dont get Dwight (I dont see him moving imo) because Brook has proven to be a great player. Hes still only 22 guys, he still has time to work on his weaknesses.

i don't want to sound like a flip-flopper, but after watching the past few games without dwill, i change my mind. brook is to much of a liability on defense and he's way too soft, he gives opponents confidence against him.

i thought he changed, i really did, but he's right back to where he was. i realize that he mostly plays well against weak/short teams. but against the top teams, he folds like a chair. and i don't see him changing with age. a wimp is a wimp. against dwight, he looked like a girl. against horford, he let him school him all game and he accepted it like that was ok.

to build a championsip powerhouse, you cannot have a foundation of a center who plays like a girl against the top teams and against legit big men.

im sorry but brook is soft in every sense of the word. my 4 year old cousin has more fight than him.

we should go all out for dwight.

we should do our best to keep humphries and morrow, but everybody else should be up for grabs.

we should also try to sign a scoring powerforward who can rebound and defend a bit like david west maybe. he got injured recently, so if we're lucky, we could pick him up for cheap. a big man rotation of west, humphries, and dwight would be a monster.

then we should look for a decent sf. wilson chandler for the right price would be good, but idk if we can get him since he's a rfa.

but a lineup of deron, morrow, chandler, west, howard with a bench of humphries, gaines, outlaw, damion james etc etc, would be a pipe dream. THAT imo would be a legit title contender.