Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Default Re: Winter Olympics: Men's Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    I was quoting a couple of countries who have made that a public statement. Obviously countries that don't have a shot aren't going to dismiss the Olympics. But wouldn't you agree they would rather have that gold than owning the podium?

In regards to my OP, what other sport puts more emphasis on winning on an Olympic international level? I can only come up with 100m.
    I think it's specific for each country.

I mentioned Austria and Norway, they are mountain countries and A LOT of people ski there. I think countries like that take more pride in being the best across the board in events where the genre of sport is part of their national identity.

As for the emphasis of winning after the 100meter I just don't know, and I'm not going to pretend to know there's more pressure/emphasis on the US team to win gold in Hockey than there is for a #1 ranked chinese ping pong or badminton player.
    Last edited by ZenMaster; 02-14-2014 at 08:28 AM.

Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles UConnCeltics's Avatar

I think gold in hockey is more about protecting your home turf. Canada at Vancouver, Russia at Sochi. The next time the USA hosts the winter games there will be added pressure on the hockey team. It means something. I feel like Figure Skating is up there too for the Olympics, but I don't care about it.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

damn americans are so obsessed with ranking everything

even tho I agree that hockey is the most interesting, but there is no need to even start comparing it with other activities.

Is there any other Olympic sport that puts more emphasis on winning Gold for their country? Not only is this the only sport that really matters in the winter Olympics(let's be honest, it's the only sport with mass appeal outside hockey countries) but for a couple of countries this could only be a successful Olympics if gold is won in this event. I've heard this about Canada and Russia. The only event I can think of in this magnitude is men's 100m.
    Really, winning hockey is like winning the Winter Olympics
    This is true in Canada. It's the medal that matters most, no doubt.

That being said, as much as I would like to see Canada win it again. I think the U.S is going to take it this year, they have a hell of a team. Speed and good goal tending

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    I think it's specific for each country.

I mentioned Austria and Norway, they are mountain countries and A LOT of people ski there. I think countries like that take more pride in being the best across the board in events where the genre of sport is part of their national identity.

As for the emphasis of winning after the 100meter I just don't know, and I'm not going to pretend to know there's more pressure/emphasis on the US team to win gold in Hockey than there is for a #1 ranked chinese ping pong or badminton player.
    I think you've misinterpreted my statement again. I'm not implying no other sport has no added pressure. I'm saying that for men's hockey specifically the goal for a lot of countries is win gold for specifically the winter Olympics or bust. I don't think the Chinese are going to think their Olympics flopped if they didn't win ping pong nor would it be ever more of a crowning glory if they won. With hockey it is more than any other sport. I think winning Hockey is just as valued here as it is winning the podium.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
    This is true in Canada. It's the medal that matters most, no doubt.

That being said, as much as I would like to see Canada win it again. I think the U.S is going to take it this year, they have a hell of a team. Speed and good goal tending
    How many countries would you say put the same emphasis?

How many other sport would you say places the same emphasis by their country on THAT level?

Would you say hockey more than any other event in Olympics actually has a bigger following per capita that value the gold in this sport more than other events combined?

Maybe you can be a little assistance here helping me explain.

[QUOTE=hateraid]
    How many countries would you say put the same emphasis?
    I'm from Canada, so I can't say for sure, but I would think the 'usual suspects' put a major emphasis on winning in Hockey (Canada, U.S, Russia, Finland, Sweden)
    How many other sport would you say places the same emphasis by their country on THAT level?
    Tough to say, Canada expects a gold, anything less is a failure. I'm sure the U.S has the same expectations of their basketball team.

Would you say hockey more than any other event in Olympics actually has a bigger following per capita that value the gold in this sport more than other events combined?
    Yes! no doubt. I don't think people really care too much about who wins the two man luge event (for example.)

Maybe you can be a little assistance here helping me explain.
    Hope I did, Hockey in Canada is miles more important than any other event.

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

USA is going to take that gold.

I think you've misinterpreted my statement again. I'm not implying no other sport has no added pressure. I'm saying that for men's hockey specifically the goal for a lot of countries is win gold for specifically the winter Olympics or bust. I don't think the Chinese are going to think their Olympics flopped if they didn't win ping pong nor would it be ever more of a crowning glory if they won. With hockey it is more than any other sport. I think winning Hockey is just as valued here as it is winning the podium.
    I'm guessing the enhanced focus on the Olympics in Hockey is because a lot of NHL players don't go to the world championships. That would make the Olympics the most prestigeous international hockey tournament to win.

As for the gold or bust statement I guess it depends on what you think is a lot of countries, so far all I've heard is that it's Canada because all that matters there is hockey, the US because they have a really good team, and Russia because they're at home.
    I think the rest of the countries particapating are so realistic in their chances that they wouldn't judge their Olympics from a single event they knew couldn't be won from the start.

Wow, Russia vs USA. Shootout is keep on going.

Interesting rule after 3 shooters you can send in whoever you want.

USA just let Oshie shoot.

oshie had the hot stick .. good thing for that rule

Quote Originally Posted by dude77
    oshie had the hot stick .. good thing for that rule
    for the US, now

Kessel is going to be a household name after this Olympics.

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

i wonder how butt hurt putin is right now.