Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: I would take Jonny Flynn over both Rubio and Jennings

I played him in High School. I was a sophmore (I am a senior now) and he was a Senior. Simply amazing haha! My favorite and I can not wait to follow his NBA career.

Quote Originally Posted by Bibby4Three
    I played him in High School. I was a sophmore (I am a senior now) and he was a Senior. Simply amazing haha! My favorite and I can not wait to follow his NBA career.
    Niagara Falls HS

Quote Originally Posted by Posterize246
    Niagara Falls HS

Yup, Paul Harris went there too but I missed playing him by a few years.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder
    Defense - Rubio is last???

Come on dude, defense is arguably the best part of Rubio's game. As a 16 year old he was averaging 3.2 steals per game in only 18 minutes of play.

Rubio's handles are better than Jenning as well, he took him off the dribble with pretty much one hand easily in the few minutes they were against each and other and then forced Jennings into a few turnovers.

Other than that, looks pretty good.
    I'm not saying Rubio isn't a good defender because he is. But this whole steals in the Euroleague thing is nonsense. I watch this guy play and he gets some kind of bizarre special treatment in Europe that no other player gets on defense. He is allowed to literally mug the offensive player basically all game long and hardly gets called for fouls. Other players can only play like he does all game long maybe once or two possessions before they get whistled for the foul - even well establish stars that are much better than him at the current moment.

Even in FIBA tournaments Rubio seems to get this special treatment. His defense is basically mugging the other team and getting preferential treatment from the refs for whatever reason (maybe because he's physically outmatched by the men he plays against so the refs let him do it since he is really still a kid?)

Anyway, when you combine that with the fact that the NBA doesn't allow hand checking I don't see his current defensive game translating well at all to the NBA. If he was just reffed the same as other Euroleague guards are he would not even be mentioned for his defense. But everyone is like "he averaged 3 assists in his rookie Euroleague year!"

I'm saying it straight out, he is getting very biased reffing and without it and without being able to hand check in the NBA his defense will take a big hit, at least initially. But he's very aggressive on D and he's got great ball instincts and very quick hands so the talent is there on D, but those steals stats are big time inflated IMHO.
    Last edited by Lakas Fan Yo; 01-03-2009 at 01:04 AM.

Banned

Just checkin stats but..

Brandon Jennings is shooting 13% (4-29) from 3 this year. And that's not an NBA 3 either.

Rubio's 4.7 apg in 11 mpg are damn impressive, though only through 3 games.
    The more and more I follow the Euroleague the more I learn about the many plethora of myths American b-ball fans have about the game over there. This is one of them - that it is easier to shoot 3's over there because the line is closer. And I think most US fans really believe that and take off 5-10 percent of a guy's percentage to "translate" it to an NBA shooting percentage.

The problem with all of that is that if you actually watch enough of the games you would see that the perimeter defense at the 3 point line in the Euroleague is about 3 times better than it is in the NBA. I mean teams REALLY contest shots over there, in a way that NBA clubs just don't. Granted, when I say Euroleague teams I don't include the Spanish ones in that because they don't play the same defense (but the majority of Euroleague teams are playing tough D especially the Russian club and the Greek clubs). That's one of the reasons I think people are confused by Rubio's play in "the best league in Europe" as everyone keeps calling it in that ACB of Spain. But without a doubt the Euroleague defense is seriously superior to defense in the ACB league.

I actually think it's harder to shoot the 3 over there than it is in the NBA. In fact the line being closer just makes it even that much harder. If you see the games you can see often players are closing out on the 3 well. Players are often bigger, more athletic in some cases and just about always more disciplined and trained in team defense than NCAA players and they are able to close out on the shorter line, unlike in the NBA where it the line is further out and it makes it harder to do so.

The average US fan thinks the opposite, that it's harder for Euro players to shoot 3s in the NBA because "the defenders are all bigger and more athletic". Well that may be true certainly for NCAA players but it's not so for Euroleague ones. Jennings is playing against some serious team defenses and team defensive tactics and strategies over there. It's literally amazing seeing how tough the D is that some teams over there play and the American side of basketball fans just about all believe they play no defense in the Euroelague.

Basically what I am saying is Jennings certainly needs to work on his outside jump shot without a doubt, but he is seeing perimeter D that is leaps and bounds above what anyone in the NCAA sees.
    Last edited by Lakas Fan Yo; 01-03-2009 at 01:02 AM.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Yeah...

but Eric Snow has had injury problems as of late
    Well played...

Quote Originally Posted by Lakas Fan Yo
    The more and more I follow the Euroleague the more I learn about the many plethora of myths American b-ball fans have about the game over there. This is one of them - that it is easier to shoot 3's over there because the line is closer. And I think most US fans really believe that and take off 5-10 percent of a guy's percentage to "translate" it to an NBA shooting percentage.

The problem with all of that is that if you actually watch enough of the games you would see that the perimeter defense at the 3 point line in the Euroleague is about 3 times better than it is in the NBA. I mean teams REALLY contest shots over there, in a way that NBA clubs just don't. Granted, when I say Euroleague teams I don't include the Spanish ones in that because they don't play the same defense (but the majority of Euroleague teams are playing tough D especially the Russian club and the Greek clubs). That's one of the reasons I think people are confused by Rubio's play in "the best league in Europe" as everyone keeps calling it in that ACB of Spain. But without a doubt the Euroleague defense is seriously superior to defense in the ACB league.

I actually think it's harder to shoot the 3 over there than it is in the NBA. In fact the line being closer just makes it even that much harder. If you see the games you can see often players are closing out on the 3 well. Players are often bigger, more athletic in some cases and just about always more disciplined and trained in team defense than NCAA players and they are able to close out on the shorter line, unlike in the NBA where it the line is further out and it makes it harder to do so.

The average US fan thinks the opposite, that it's harder for Euro players to shoot 3s in the NBA because "the defenders are all bigger and more athletic". Well that may be true certainly for NCAA players but it's not so for Euroleague ones. Jennings is playing against some serious team defenses and team defensive tactics and strategies over there. It's literally amazing seeing how tough the D is that some teams over there play and the American side of basketball fans just about all believe they play no defense in the Euroelague.

Basically what I am saying is Jennings certainly needs to work on his outside jump shot without a doubt, but he is seeing perimeter D that is leaps and bounds above what anyone in the NCAA sees.
    That isn't what I was getting at. I see where you're going, it's a very good post.

But I was more showing that Flynn is shooting over 37% from 3 (the college line is 20 feet 9 inches) while Jennings is shooting 13% from 3 (the international line is 20 feet 6 inches). The 3 inches really don't matter, I think I was more trying to get at...

WHY THE **** IS JENNINGS SHOOTING SO MANY 3S WHEN IT'S OBVIOUS HE'S NOT MAKING THEM

I hate Chad Ford but...

He has Jonny Flynn #1 on his 2009 "Draft Sleepers"

McCants is Available!!

Just watched the Florida/NC State game and I'm sorry but Calathes>>>>>Flynn

On top of him being taller at 6'6, he is a better playmaker and better shooter. Flynn is more athletic and quicker, but if we're talking better NBA point guard prospect, Calathes wins.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Basketball#1
    Just watched the Florida/NC State game and I'm sorry but Calathes>>>>>Flynn

On top of him being taller at 6'6, he is a better playmaker and better shooter. Flynn is more athletic and quicker, but if we're talking better NBA point guard prospect, Calathes wins.

How many 6'6''+ point guards have you seen succeed in the NBA?...

I know you thought LeBron would go to the team Curry got drafted to, but jeez making such a statement after viewing one game is retarded.

McCants is Available!!

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather

How many 6'6''+ point guards have you seen succeed in the NBA?...

I know you thought LeBron would go to the team Curry got drafted to, but jeez making such a statement after viewing one game is retarded.
    IF you read a couple of my posts you would have know I've been saying this dumbass. I think I even mentioned it in this thread before a couple pages back.

EDIT: And I didn't say Bron would go to the team Curry went to. I said it could influence his decision stop twisting my words.
    Last edited by Mr_Basketball#1; 01-03-2009 at 07:50 PM.

Banned

IF you read a couple of my posts you would have know I've been saying this dumbass.

This has to be a joke. A semi athletic (is barely quicker than a turtle), set shot shooting, oversized, sub par defender (quicker players kill him), point guard is better than Brandon Jennings, Jonny Flynn, and Ricky Robio...

Please...

This guy is too much of a tweener to make a serious impact on the NBA. He isn't quick enough to compete with opposing PG's and isn't strong enough or get enough height on his jumper to succeed at the SG position either.

edit: You said there was a good chance...Which is a complete fail considering Curry is a glorified volume shooter who fill have problems finding his shot in the NBA.

McCants is Available!!

There you go again. I said I'd take Calathes over Flynn.

Banned

There you go again. I said I'd take Calathes over Flynn.
    And Flynn is better than Rubio and Jennings...

McCants is Available!!

Flynn is more of a what you see is what you're going to get type player. He may be better than Jennings, but I think Rubio and Calathes are better prospects and have more potential. That's just me.