Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Default Re: Point Guard options

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfreak
    Agreed, ONLY if it is a worth it move.

About the lakers deal with houston, don't forget that we would have unloaded two big contracts of underachievers in Odom and Pau to get that done to take on a superstar in return.

I guess in that case, for the lakers it was "Chris Paul or nothing". And can you blame them? Taking on all those players would have been a big financial load for a team that we don't even know is going to win the championship. Kobe said it best himself "Other teams are just mad that there would have been a superstar to carry the team after im gone...." Thats honestly what that Chris Paul trade was for. Not to get us to win championships, but to prepare for the long anticipated departure of the second greatest shooting guard to ever play the game.

Make sense?
    Well since we already unloaded Odom......and the Houston deal would unload Pau we would be completely fine financially......I actually preferred dealing directly with Houston to get those multiple guys rather than to only get Paul.

You NEVER know that a team is going to win a championship.....just ask Miami

What you do is take your best shot.....and if you have the best player in the game you have a damn great shot as long as you have the balls to make intelligent moves. I'm sure Jerry Buss would love to win 2 more titles to pass Boston before he dies....I'm sure Mitch and Kobe agree on this one.
    I sure as hell know I do after enduring all those @ss kickings in the 60's.

I don't see wasting the last great years of Kobe's career as an option.....we may never have a greater, more determined, fearless winner as Kobe.....he and Jordan are in a class by themselves....so we have to take advantage of this NOW!!!!

After Kobe retires we will have a ton of cap room and will still be THE destination to play in and the franchise to play for......we aint Cleveland. Picking up a superstar or two will not be a problem trust me.
    Last edited by DKLaker; 02-13-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker
    Well since we already unloaded Odom......and the Houston deal would unload Pau we would be completely fine financially......I actually preferred dealing directly with Houston to get those multiple guys rather than to only get Paul.

You NEVER know that a team is going to win a championship.....just ask Miami

What you do is take your best shot.....and if you have the best player in the game you have a damn great shot as long as you have the balls to make intelligent moves. I'm sure Jerry Buss would love to win 2 more titles to pass Boston before he dies....I'm sure Mitch and Kobe agree on this one.
    I sure as hell know I do after enduring all those @ss kickings in the 60's.

I don't see wasting the last great years of Kobe's career as an option.....we may never have a greater, more determined, fearless winner as Kobe.....he and Jordan are in a class by themselves....so we have to take advantage of this NOW!!!!

After Kobe retires we will have a ton of cap room and will still be THE destination to play in and the franchise to play for......we aint Cleveland. Picking up a superstar or two will not be a problem trust me.
    And I don't doubt that honestly...Leave out the fact that we are an attractive big market team, but also factor in that we have owners who want that superstar always.

NBA lottery pick

Here's the latest that I read:

[QUOTE]Two sources familiar with the workout said Arenas moved well and made a positive impression, but there was no sense of how quickly

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfreak
    And I don't doubt that honestly...Leave out the fact that we are an attractive big market team, but also factor in that we have owners who want that superstar always.
    You got that right

Maybe Jerry West was there to advise Mitch......Jerry is so loyal to the Lakers.....gotta love him
    No, I don't see the Warriors in the mix for Arenas

Local High School Star TryToBeUnbias's Avatar

Last edited by TryToBeUnbias; 02-14-2012 at 02:15 PM.

I am for signing Arenas bc their really is a low risk with him at the vets min. Any points off the bench is better than what we are getting. But an interesting point I heard on 710 today was they may hold out bc they are at 14 players, and having an extra roster spot could help in terms of flexibility if they make a trade. If they think a deal is possible, they may hold out on him until the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
    I am for signing Arenas bc their really is a low risk with him at the vets min. Any points off the bench is better than what we are getting. But an interesting point I heard on 710 today was they may hold out bc they are at 14 players, and having an extra roster spot could help in terms of flexibility if they make a trade. If they think a deal is possible, they may hold out on him until the deadline.
    Like Kobe said, it really can't hurt. I think Gilbert averaging 10-12 points on 45% shooting, as well as 5-6 assists would be a much bigger contribution than what Fisher has done this season. Plus, hearing that Gilbert's procedures that he had done makes me relieved if we were to sign him. Maybe he can start for us for 3 or 4 years. Who knows. Has to work hard though, he can't just come here and vacation. He'll be back home so maybe thats an incentive for him to play well.

NBA lottery pick

I think he has a huge incentive besides that..... it's playing in the NBA again. This could be his last shot, he needs to make the most of it. I would think he probably has a chip on his shoulder and wants to prove himself again.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I think he has a huge incentive besides that..... it's playing in the NBA again. This could be his last shot, he needs to make the most of it. I would think he probably has a chip on his shoulder and wants to prove himself again.

Off topic thought.....sorry but, anyone hear anything about what's going on with the Crittendon trial.....when is it going to get started?

NBA lottery pick

I think Stephen A brought it up when he was trying to make his point of why the Lakers shouldn't sign Arenas, but he didn't mention any specifics. It sounded like that was going to happen soon though.

I rule the local playground

I think LA could use a PG who can pass the ball and hit 3pt.

Seems like Toronto is almost desperate to move Calderon. LA could try a move to take him. He is a below average defender, but can't be worse than Fisher and Blake, and he gives high assists, low turnovers and good shooting.

He has a higth contract, though.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMedallist
    I think LA could use a PG who can pass the ball and hit 3pt.

Seems like Toronto is almost desperate to move Calderon. LA could try a move to take him. He is a below average defender, but can't be worse than Fisher and Blake, and he gives high assists, low turnovers and good shooting.

He has a higth contract, though.
    Calderon's D might not be worse, but I think it's probably on the same level of Fisher & Blake. He's a far better scorer though. It would be interesting to see what he could do in a different city though and it's still an upgrade.

Local High School Star DirtySanchez's Avatar

No quick movement on Arenas means he probably did not impress.

I am all for getting Sessions. We need youth man.
    Give the kid a try see what he can do.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by DirtySanchez

Not necessarily, I wouldn't think they'd make any moves until after the all-star break anyhow. Remember, they only have one extra roster spot and they are trying to figure out if they are going to need it for a trade or not. I think that has more to do with it than anything.

NBA lottery pick Lakers_Kobe_Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DirtySanchez

huh? i dont understand that. He is not a fg where the lakers can just give him a try and then sign him

Lakers would have to trade for him and his asking price is a 1st rounder. The lakers are trying to get Howard by trading bynum/ 1st round picks.

I hope they keep those 1st rounders and not blow it on sessions. Anything can happen closer to the deadline. his asking price may come down.