Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: This must be said: The Wire is overrated

[FONT=Arial]I could have predicted Andgar’s opinion of The Wire. His favorite brand is Apple, his favorite band is The Beatles, his favorite current show is apparently Game of Thrones.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Don’t get me wrong, I actually like all of those things. But still, these things all share similar traits in a way and are telling of Andgar's taste. Apple is known for their aesthetically pleasing, easy to use computer products. The Beatles are known for their instantly catchy songs and universal appeal. Game of Thrones is essentially a very slick and simplified cliffnotes version of ASOIAF.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]What they all share is that they are some of the most accessible brands within their respective segment. Which is good. However, accessibility also tends to come at the expense of depth, which is clearly the case for all of these things. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]The Wire is the opposite of that, it’s value doesn’t show on the surface. It's not slick, it's not simple, it's not catchy. Instead it’s introspective, symbolic and heady. It’s exactly like the sort of stuff I figure someone like Andgar wouldn’t appreciate. [/FONT]

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

LOL @ all the personal attacks

I guess some of you can't form an objective argument.

Never did I say that the show sucked now did I?

And to Jackass, you have a slight point. But there's been other shows that I've seen that met or surpassed the hype. It's hard not to get impacted by anything none of us are impression less and I always try to detach myself from the hype. If I had seen the Wire without any of the hype I would've said it was a good show highly recommended. Only reason this thread exists is because the hype around it is monumental. Like I stated, a large amount of people online consider it GOAT, which it is not.

But some of the replies only make my case.

Some of you need to work on your predictable comebacks and learn how to make better arguments.

[QUOTE=LJJ][FONT=Arial]I could have predicted Andgar

Personal attacks?

It's not exactly a secret that you prefer shiny and simplified over more complex and challenging. If you think that's an attack you need to get more comfortable with your own identity.

Read your opening post again. The body of your argument is this:

[QUOTE=andgar923]Acting was good, rarely great. The big bad drug dealers were not, nothing original, nothing groundbreaking, nothing spectacular, shit

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Personal attacks?

It's not exactly a secret that you prefer shiny and simplified over more complex and challenging. If you think that's an attack you need to get more comfortable with your own identity.

Read your opening post again. The body of your argument is this:

What, you expect intelligent replies? No. You get what you deserve.
    LOL

You know me so well because I like Apple products,

I tried adding some quick tidbits for fun, whoopee!!! I still made my main point, it isn't what ya'll say it is. This groundbreaking revolutionary show. That my friend was the Sopranos, Simpsons, Twilight Zone to name a few.

None of the characters are original.
    None of the plot lines are original.

As some mentioned on another thread, this is a plot driven show. They touch briefly on some of the character's lives, they attempt to do some character analysis but it's just that

list 3 better crime dramas

if you say Breaking Bad, would neg

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923

A cop that has morals and is driven to crack the case but is filled with personal issues
    A drug dealer with a heart
    Cops tired of their jobs
    Corrupt cops
    Corrupt higher level officials
    The wise old cop that solves crimes
    Wow, you understood so little about the show or the characters. Keep confirming my biases buddy.

This is what you call an "analysis"?

Wow.

The show isn't even really about the plot or the characters. You failed at even the very basis of the show.

[QUOTE=andgar923]LOL

You know me so well because I like Apple products,

I tried adding some quick tidbits for fun, whoopee!!! I still made my main point, it isn't what ya'll say it is. This groundbreaking revolutionary show. That my friend was the Sopranos, Simpsons, Twilight Zone to name a few.

None of the characters are original.
    None of the plot lines are original.

As some mentioned on another thread, this is a plot driven show. They touch briefly on some of the character's lives, they attempt to do some character analysis but it's just that

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    You never watched the whole series so commenting on it's layers is pretty pretentious.

The seasons on the school system and the one on Baltimore politics were deeper than I've seen on TV. The authenticity of the show is about as good as it gets for TV. The fact that you don't see it probably means that you can't identify with the themes or characters.
    I mentioned that I only saw the first season. Perhaps you're correct, it may develop into something more as seasons progress.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Wow, you understood so little about the show or the characters. Keep confirming my biases buddy.

This is what you call an "analysis"?

Wow.

The show isn't even really about the plot or the characters. You failed at even the very basis of the show.
    So I'm lying?

Correct me then.

And of course that isn't a full analysis, it was a simple rundown.

rank sentamentalist

you've only watched the first season??

this is the equivalent of walking out of a good movie after 20 minutes and then complaining to your friends who saw the whole thing

shut up and watch the rest of it

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    So I'm lying?

Correct me then.

And of course that isn't a full analysis, it was a simple rundown.
    You want me to spoil the whole thing for you?

That's all the hints I care to give, the real meat of the show is not the plot or the characters. It's not about that. That's not the subject of the show.

Also the way you think of the characters, like "the cop with morals, the drug dealer with a heart" is a completely wrong train of thought for this show. Just a word of advice.

rank sentamentalist

the show is intended as a dramatic rendition of an institutional analysis more or less. its not about the way people are, its an explanation for why they do what seems inexplicable.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuckey
    list 3 better crime dramas

if you say Breaking Bad, would neg
    Sopranos
    OZ

Don't really watch too many (or any) crime dramas on tv since most of them are the same and almost all of them are on network tv. I haven't seen the Shield so I can't comment on it.

And YES Wire is a good show, never said it wasn't.

Again, do most of you not understand what the term 'overrated' is?

To refresh everybody's memory, many have said it was the GOAT show. Not GOAT crime drama but GOAT show period and that's my main reason for this thread.

In regards to BB vs Wire

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    the show is intended as a dramatic rendition of an institutional analysis more or less. its not about the way people are, its an explanation for why they do what seems inexplicable.
    Thanks for the great insight!

This is something that isn't even subtle, hard not to see how this is one of the main driving themes. Corrupt system, class inequalities, broken down families, gay tolerance (or views on gays), welfare system, most of that stuff is covered and hard not to miss.

Yes if you compare it to network tv this kicks its ass.

But we covered this stuff with OZ, Sopranos, Twilight Zone (albeit on different angles).