Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Kevin Durant admits he doesn't like chucking heaves

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Wade said basically the same thing as Durant. This is why I feel fans need to stop putting so much emphasis on statistics.
    I don't necessarily think paying attention to FG% is a bad thing though, especially when they're doing it on a good team. Why should Wade be taking low % shots playing with Lebron, Bosh, and a bunch of sharpshooters? The fact that he's paying attention to this means instead of taking bad shots he realizes he has great teammates and looks to pass up for more efficient opportunities.

Anyway you spin it, a player with Durant's scoring ability worrying about his %'s is a weakness in his game. The truth is, the Thunder would be better if Durant shot more, and everyone else shot less. If Thunder are going to win a title, it's going to be Durant that carries them there, not Ibaka, Martin, or Westbrook.

Quote Originally Posted by PJR
    Again, no he didn't.

This was the quote you're referring too.
    Ok. So he essentially says the same thing. They both are mindful of their stats. Or FG%. Durant just elaborates more.

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    I don't necessarily think paying attention to FG% is a bad thing though, especially when they're doing it on a good team. Why should Wade be taking low % shots playing with Lebron, Bosh, and a bunch of sharpshooters? The fact that he's paying attention to this means instead of taking bad shots he realizes he has great teammates and looks to pass up for more efficient opportunities.
    I see it as he starts to pass up available shots when his FG% dips below 50%. Shots he woukd normally take. Thus hes not playing to win.

And just for emphasis, people dont knock pkayers like Kobe for taking a lot of shots. Its his shot selelction. He takes way too many bad shots.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Anyway you spin it, a player with Durant's scoring ability worrying about his %'s is a weakness in his game. The truth is, the Thunder would be better if Durant shot more, and everyone else shot less. If Thunder are going to win a title, it's going to be Durant that carries them there, not Ibaka, Martin, or Westbrook.
    I feel Durant was too "safe" in last years finals. Even though he statistically had a strong performance, I feel he shouldve done more.

[QUOTE]Russell Westbrook:

I saw this posted awhile back (Durant's response) but the other responses are pretty funny. Westbrook just gained a bunch of respect from me.

Quote Originally Posted by red1
    how is this guy not the most likeable player in the league
    Cause he's kind of a dbag.

Other than that though, great!

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Ok. So he essentially says the same thing. They both are mindful of their stats. Or FG%. Durant just elaborates more.
    Dywane Wade was pissed that Tyreke Evans stole the ball from him at the end of the game because he registered a turnover. Of course these guys care about their stats. It's the new breed of superstars PER>all

NBA Leaders in end of quarter heaves (3 seconds or less, 25 ft or more is what I set): http://www.basketball-reference.com/...l=&order_by=fg

So the league leader in these shots has taken 25. Obviously these heaves don't affect your FG% that much.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Yeah, I have no idea how legitimate that is, but it wouldn't be such a shock considering Wilt used to look at his stats during game, set statistical goals for himself and was friends with stat keeper Harvey Pollack, and they'd discuss whether the official statistics were incorrect. And Michael Jordan had this triple double thing going during the 1989 season when he'd check how many rebounds and assists he had during the game, and did admit in an interview from around 1994 that he cared about stats in his early years.

Plus there have been other instances like David Thompson and George Gervin going for the scoring title on the last day of the '79 season, or David Robinson doing the same thing in '94.
    I feel Kareem was concerned about certain personal stats as well, at least his second large double figure scoring streak: Within these 10 seasons, without counting the start of the 1987-88 season, he had a suspiciously high number of games with exactly 10 points (20) and none with less, although he did have 3 such games in the postseason (1 in 1982 and 2 in 1987), which, as we know, doesn't account for the official streaks.

I get that most of these guys are concerned w/ their individual statistics, its just annoying to ACTUALLY hear them say it.

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    Dywane Wade was pissed that Tyreke Evans stole the ball from him at the end of the game because he registered a turnover. Of course these guys care about their stats. It's the new breed of superstars PER>all
    he got made because stealing the ball when the game is over is a punk move

Quote Originally Posted by esiotrot
    NBA Leaders in end of quarter heaves (3 seconds or less, 25 ft or more is what I set): http://www.basketball-reference.com/...l=&order_by=fg

So the league leader in these shots has taken 25. Obviously these heaves don't affect your FG% that much.
    dont be surprised when people ignore this, some guys here will try just anything to try and say stats are meaningless.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Wrong. Westbrook impacts the Thunder much more.