Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: US gun related murder rates compared to other countries

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    But people aren't drinking 5-10 times a year. The majority of drinkers (which I would hazard a guess and say the total is more than the number gun owners) are drinking weekly and daily. And yet with so much more prevlent alcohol use they are only raking up 5,000 more total deaths per year (based on the figures you gave).

If people consumed alcohol as much as they used their guns imagine how low the number would be. 5-10 drinking sessions a year for everyone and I'd conservatively claim you would slash the total deaths in half.
    I don't care about the exact number of drinkers or drinks or gun shots fired. His point was 99.99999999% of alcohol use is safe, thus it shouldn't be banned. The same is true of firearm use, yet he thinks we should ban it.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by ripthekik
    You can't used overal death toll, because by your own argument, we need to look at rates! Alcohol usage rate is nearly about a million times more than guns in the country. Use rates: what is the rate of a death caused, everytime an alcohol beverage is consumed, compared with what is the death rate caused every time a gun is fired?

I'm using the example to show you the difference in indirect/direct danger. Do you finally see it now?
    Irresponsbile gun use kills people. Irresponsible alcohol use kills people. Irresponsible use accounts for tiny fractions of less than 1% in both cases.

Yet you think 1 should be banned and the other not. Do you finally see how your views don't make sense?

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmulls
    I don't care about the exact number of drinkers or drinks or gun shots fired. His point was 99.99999999% of alcohol use is safe, thus it shouldn't be banned. The same is true of firearm use, yet he thinks we should ban it.
    Well I'm not sure of many alcohol related incidents that have caused the deaths of multiple teachers and students or movie goers.

Right now all you've shown yourself is that at a 1:1 comparison firearms are more dangerous than alcohol.

Additionally, these recent deaths aren't caused by "irresponsible" use. Once alcohol can be used by violent people to cause mass death then we might have more cause for alarm. Right now alcohol related deaths are only caused by irresponsibility.

Irresponsbile gun use kills people. Irresponsible alcohol use kills people. Irresponsible use accounts for tiny fractions of less than 1% in both cases.

Yet you think 1 should be banned and the other not. Do you finally see how your views don't make sense?
    he has never said that it should be banned, restrictions like many other countries implement should be considered. The rest of the world is so far ahead of America on this issues and other crime related issues.

this argument is still going on? seriously??
    '
    they are NOT equal. ok, let's say there is more death caused by alcohol per year than guns. Say 55000 alcohol to 50000 by guns.

55000 death caused by alcohol/ 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 cans of beer opened

50000 death caused by guns/ 9999999999 guns fired

think this is still a fair comparison? the stupidity, goddamn

you have more chances of winning the lottery than a death caused by alcohol. think about it. about a million cans of beer are being opened right now as I type this post. Do you think you can take the same chances with guns?
    Last edited by ripthekik; 12-17-2012 at 05:17 AM.

I check out these gun control threads to see what new analogies are in and what sort of refreshment is being compared to something that was invented to kill people easier.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

'
    they are NOT equal. ok, let's say there is more death caused by alcohol per year than guns. Say 55000 alcohol to 50000 by guns.

55000 death caused by alcohol/ 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 cans of beer opened

you have more chances of winning the lottery than a death caused by alcohol. think about it. about a million cans of beer are being opened right now as I type this post. Do you think you can take the same chances with guns?
    If he doesn't get it by now I give up even talking to him about this point. bmulls, it is time for you to move on to your next argument for guns, or restart one of your old ones, the one about how mass killings only make up a small amount of total firearm deaths was a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    If he doesn't get it by now I give up even talking to him about this point. bmulls, it is time for you to move on to your next argument for guns, or restart one of your old ones, the one about how mass killings only make up a small amount of total firearm deaths was a good one.
    Thanks man, I agree, too much time wasted here. Was just going to rep back, but I'd given too much in the past 24 hours.

Banned

So with all the talk about Mexico, Russia and stats being skweded, can we all agree the USA is looking good in the gun related homocide department?

Good.

Oh the Bealsanity

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    I check out these gun control threads to see what new analogies are in and what sort of refreshment is being compared to something that was invented to kill people easier.
    Its amusing isn't it?

Shooting guns = drinking alcohol

Decent college freshman

'

So if you want to start counting beers opened, then we need to start counting bullets fired too right? I usually shoot around 1000 rounds of .22 at the range in a couple of hours, and I shoot around twice a month. Extrapolate that over 50 million people and we're looking at billions and billions of bullets fired. You get the point.

All you're doing is splitting hairs now. Trying to argue whether alcohol use is 99.999999% or 99.9999999999999999999999% safe is ridiculous. The bottom line is irresponsible gun use accounts for an incredibly tiny percentage of total gun use, same as alcohol.

At the end of the day thousands of people end up dead for "worthless" hobbies, yet you support one and not the other.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by GatorKid117
    Its amusing isn't it?

Shooting guns = drinking alcohol

Dead people = dead people

That's hilarious right?

Krust Kingz

[COLOR="Navy"]Best post in this thread j/k[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by jaydacris
    japan and south korea lead the world in sword/ninja star related deaths
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]I think the message is confused. No one is saying banning guns. Increase the restrictions of gun accessibility.

I wonder when people here will broach the economic portion of banning or restrictions....

The comparison of alcohol to guns is ludicrous and a stretch. Simply put one is a weapon of death/targeting the other is a beverage thirst quenching. A gun being used and a beverage being used is incomparable. The beverage has a longer daisy chain of mitigating circumstances to cause death.

I would love to hear how the ecomomics of gun restriction/banning?[/COLOR]

Oh the Bealsanity

Dead people = dead people

That's hilarious right?

Your a sick individual, man. Laughing about dead people. You should stick to terrible analogies. At least we can laugh at you.

Decent college freshman

it's gonna require more than just prohibition to solve the problem. the problem is the culture of violence that's already endemic.

and honestly despite the tragedy that just occurred, I doubt there will be substantive effort towards tighter gun control. The idea of right to firearm is so steeped into the american culture that anything contrary will meet no just opposition from special interest but popular outrage.

People also take what they want to see from tragedies like Sandy hook. I know many people are talking about "arming" school staffs as a response.