Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Draft

I am Chris Wilcox

Default 2009 Draft

Well, since this has been a very uneventful season for us Grizz fans, I thought I'd start this thread. We have pretty much nothing to talk about regarding the Grizzlies, who have gone 6-26 since the start of '09, so we may aswell give ourselves something to talk about, that being this year's draft.

This is probably the event I've been looking forward to most, ever since this lackluster season started. However, what I'm not looking forward to is seeing the Grizz get screwed once again and get a terrible pick. I wouldn't be surprised if some how we didn't even get a top 5 pick and to be honest, I'm kind of expecting to get a bad pick.

So who are the players we should be looking at?

Here's my list of guys that should be on the list (there not specifically ordered, but the players who we should go for are going to be higher on the list).....

Blake Griffin - PF - If, by some freak of nature, we get the first pick, Griffin will be a no brainer. But I can almost garuntee we won't get the first pick, so we don't really need to worry about this one.

Greg Monroe - PF - Yes, his stock has fallen, but he fits this team so well. Excellent high post player and a very good passer, he would definitly work well with cutters like Conley and Mayo. He's my first choice after Griffin. He may take a while to get going in the pros, but in a few years he'll be an excellent player. However, I have feeling that he'll return for a second year at G'Town after his poor season.

Earl Clark - SF/PF - I really like Clark, he's athletic and incredibly gifted player. If we pick him, I can see him coming off the bench to start and as he gains confidence and the coaches support I can see him becoming a solid player for us. Kind of like a much better and much more versatile Darrell Arthur. He can run, rebound, pass, shoot and is strong and athletic. If Monroe doesn't enter the draft, I think he might be our first option.

Hasheem Thabeet - C - Great size, solid defender at the college level, his lack of athleticism may be a disadvantage in the pros. He'd definitly bring that extra defensive presence that we need and as they say, you can't teach height, but you can teach a guy to put the ball in the basket. He'd definitly need to work on his offensive game, but overall, he'd be a good pick.

Jordan Hill - PF - Strong player, will fill a need at PF, but not nearly as talented as Monroe, or as versatile as Clark. We should only pick him if both Monroe and Clark are gone.

Stephen Curry - PG/SG - He will definitly fill a need that this team has, that being a shooter who can spread the floor and also fill the backup PG/SG position. Having Curry behind Conley and Mayo, would be fun to watch. In this case, we look to get a PF propsect with our late first round pick we got from Orlando.

James Harden - SG - His best attribute is his IQ and selflessness. We already have Mayo, but taking Harden will open up many trade scenarios for us. We don't need both Harden and Mayo, so Harden would most likely get traded. If we had a need for a starting SG, Harden would be much higher on this list, but we don't really have a need for him.

What's everyone's opinions on this year's draft?

Who should we draft?

What should we be looking for?

Playoffs? Playoffs!!! Mississippi's Avatar

Default Re: 2009 Draft

I'm really hoping that we at least get a top 3 pick and the obvious guys would be Griffin, Monroe, & Harden. We really don't need Harden but I think if he's available, we should draft him because we could get something good in return through a trade. Harden is the third best player in the draft and we'd be stupid to pass up on him. In the event that we are out of the top 5, we should go after a big like Craig Brackins who alot of people are sleeping on. He plays somewhat like Chris Bosh. He can bring the ball up the court and step out and knock down the three. I wouldn't be surprised if Rudy Gay is traded on draft day. A team like the Spurs could use his services. They've been looking to get a young wing for years now and he'd be a good fit. I really want Terrance Williams on this team though. He does every thing that Rudy doesn't. He will get you a triple double on any given night.

I am Chris Wilcox

Williams is an excellent player, but I only see him playing as an SF on a small team. And I don't see Memphis trading Gay away, to make room for Williams. If we got Williams, he would probably be traded, as would Harden if we got him. There's not point in holding on to all these talented players, because someone is going to be getting limited minutes, which isn't fair and might cause friction.

If we get anyone from Louisville, I hope it's Clark. I'm really enjoying the way he plays.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi
    I'm really hoping that we at least get a top 3 pick and the obvious guys would be Griffin, Monroe, & Harden. We really don't need Harden but I think if he's available, we should draft him because we could get something good in return through a trade. Harden is the third best player in the draft and we'd be stupid to pass up on him. In the event that we are out of the top 5, we should go after a big like Craig Brackins who alot of people are sleeping on. He plays somewhat like Chris Bosh. He can bring the ball up the court and step out and knock down the three. I wouldn't be surprised if Rudy Gay is traded on draft day. A team like the Spurs could use his services. They've been looking to get a young wing for years now and he'd be a good fit. I really want Terrance Williams on this team though. He does every thing that Rudy doesn't. He will get you a triple double on any given night.

Quote Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
    Well, since this has been a very uneventful season for us Grizz fans, I thought I'd start this thread. We have pretty much nothing to talk about regarding the Grizzlies, who have gone 6-26 since the start of '09, so we may aswell give ourselves something to talk about, that being this year's draft.

This is probably the event I've been looking forward to most, ever since this lackluster season started. However, what I'm not looking forward to is seeing the Grizz get screwed once again and get a terrible pick. I wouldn't be surprised if some how we didn't even get a top 5 pick and to be honest, I'm kind of expecting to get a bad pick.

So who are the players we should be looking at?

Here's my list of guys that should be on the list (there not specifically ordered, but the players who we should go for are going to be higher on the list).....

Blake Griffin - PF - If, by some freak of nature, we get the first pick, Griffin will be a no brainer. But I can almost garuntee we won't get the first pick, so we don't really need to worry about this one.

Greg Monroe - PF - Yes, his stock has fallen, but he fits this team so well. Excellent high post player and a very good passer, he would definitly work well with cutters like Conley and Mayo. He's my first choice after Griffin. He may take a while to get going in the pros, but in a few years he'll be an excellent player. However, I have feeling that he'll return for a second year at G'Town after his poor season.

Earl Clark - SF/PF - I really like Clark, he's athletic and incredibly gifted player. If we pick him, I can see him coming off the bench to start and as he gains confidence and the coaches support I can see him becoming a solid player for us. Kind of like a much better and much more versatile Darrell Arthur. He can run, rebound, pass, shoot and is strong and athletic. If Monroe doesn't enter the draft, I think he might be our first option.

Hasheem Thabeet - C - Great size, solid defender at the college level, his lack of athleticism may be a disadvantage in the pros. He'd definitly bring that extra defensive presence that we need and as they say, you can't teach height, but you can teach a guy to put the ball in the basket. He'd definitly need to work on his offensive game, but overall, he'd be a good pick.

Jordan Hill - PF - Strong player, will fill a need at PF, but not nearly as talented as Monroe, or as versatile as Clark. We should only pick him if both Monroe and Clark are gone.

Stephen Curry - PG/SG - He will definitly fill a need that this team has, that being a shooter who can spread the floor and also fill the backup PG/SG position. Having Curry behind Conley and Mayo, would be fun to watch. In this case, we look to get a PF propsect with our late first round pick we got from Orlando.

James Harden - SG - His best attribute is his IQ and selflessness. We already have Mayo, but taking Harden will open up many trade scenarios for us. We don't need both Harden and Mayo, so Harden would most likely get traded. If we had a need for a starting SG, Harden would be much higher on this list, but we don't really have a need for him.

What's everyone's opinions on this year's draft?

Who should we draft?

What should we be looking for?
    Can anyone point out if any of these guys are playing on the big dance? I'm too lazy to look for them. Just wanna know how these guys play at all.

I've only seen as much as Blake Griffin highlights and one Stephen Curry game

I am Chris Wilcox

Blake Griffin - Oklahoma - Yes.

Greg Monroe - Georgetown - No, unless for some crazy reason G'Town get selected to take part, I highly doubt it though.

Earl Clark - Louisville - Yes. They just won the Big East conference last night, after beating Syracuse. Should be a number 1 seed. Clark is my guy to watch for this tourney.

Hasheem Thabeet - UConn - Yes. Should be a number 1 seed.

Jordan Hill - Arizona - I think they will be in.

Stephen Curry - Davidson - Don't know. Probably will be.

James Harden - Arizona State - Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonislegend
    What's so funny? If you have seen Williams play, then you wouldn't be laughing. He's undersized but he does it all on the court unlike Rudy who just sits out on the perimeter and jack up contested shots.

I rule the local playground

Size is not everything. If it was, Haddadi would be a starter in the team, not a D-Leaguer.

I am Chris Wilcox

What's so funny? If you have seen Williams play, then you wouldn't be laughing. He's undersized but he does it all on the court unlike Rudy who just sits out on the perimeter and jack up contested shots.
    Triple double is a bit too much, but Williams can do just about everything. He can score, rebound, pass and steal the ball.

He had 11/7/6 and 7 steals against Syracuse in the Big East championship game. The guy can do everything.

Triple double is a bit too much, but Williams can do just about everything. He can score, rebound, pass and steal the ball.

He had 11/7/6 and 7 steals against Syracuse in the Big East championship game. The guy can do everything.
    Who said anything about a triple double?

Terrance Williams is listed at 6'6 but I actually think he's closer to 6'4 which will most likely prevent him from being a three in the NBA.

I am Chris Wilcox

Who said anything about a triple double?

Terrance Williams is listed at 6'6 but I actually think he's closer to 6'4 which will most likely prevent him from being a three in the NBA.
    It was mentioned in your first post.

I think a few players will be measured undersized. Griffin might be closer to 6'8 than 6'10. Clark might be close to 6'7 than 6'9. As long as no one is as exaggerated as Beasley was last year, then it really shouldn't be too much of a problem.

The only player I can see it hurting is Blair. If he measures lower than 6'7, his stock might be hurt quite a bit.

It was mentioned in your first post.

I think a few players will be measured undersized. Griffin might be closer to 6'8 than 6'10. Clark might be close to 6'7 than 6'9. As long as no one is as exaggerated as Beasley was last year, then it really shouldn't be too much of a problem.

The only player I can see it hurting is Blair. If he measures lower than 6'7, his stock might be hurt quite a bit.
    Oh okay I thought you were implying that from the last post that I posted. I still think he can get a triple double or close to it on any given night. He fills the stat sheet up.

Wow I would love to get terrence williams here. He would be a huge upgrade over buckner and ross off the bench. The problem is that he will not fall to us.

If we end up with thabeet I think we should trade millic for a pick or two. The thunder have like five picks this draft. We could probably get one of theirs. Maybe the one thats ranked 16.

Learning to shoot layups

we have terrible luck in the draft .i can see us getting five or six.the draft class is not great this year.with our second round pick we need to pick lester hudson.

I agree its not full of stars like the draft last year. But it is full of good role players. If you get lucky you could find a player or two to clean up our horrible bench.