Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: How old do you think you can carry on playing basketball til?

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Six months?!
    Yep, the joint is broken and totally stiff

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by AirFederer
    Yep, the joint is broken and totally stiff
    Dang, that's a real bummer, guy. That seems like a worst case scenario in terms of finger injuries. I ruptured a tendon in my hand and I feel my recovery was less than half that time. I'm thankful it wasn't something like you're experiencing.

Idk...I've always been more of a cerebral player as opposed to an athlete. I get my enjoyment from outsmarting people or making good passes. I'm always going to be pretty long, have a jumper and the ability to pass. IMO I should be ale to really compete in summer leagues until like 40. I hope to be playing in the over 30 leagues until I'm 60 provided my body holds up(knock on wood).

The battle isn't so much that you are getting older and slower....it's all the responsibility that comes with age. I'm 28 and I can't play anymore because my hours are crazy. If you are working 70 hours per week your body just isn't going to be the same and that is what scares me.

College superstar

You can adapt.

I'm coming back from a broken fibula, my first week back playing (no rehab), I was slow as shit, could barely jump off my left (like a 3 inch vertical on layups, no joke).

I still found ways to contribute (in pickup games only) and I would have to say that by the time I'm 50, I'm likely to still be more athletic than I was coming back from that injury.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Idk...I've always been more of a cerebral player as opposed to an athlete. I get my enjoyment from outsmarting people or making good passes. I'm always going to be pretty long, have a jumper and the ability to pass. IMO I should be ale to really compete in summer leagues until like 40. I hope to be playing in the over 30 leagues until I'm 60 provided my body holds up(knock on wood).

The battle isn't so much that you are getting older and slower....it's all the responsibility that comes with age. I'm 28 and I can't play anymore because my hours are crazy. If you are working 70 hours per week your body just isn't going to be the same and that is what scares me.
    Yep. I think the fact that people don't have time is what kills the athlete inside =/ If I had time to train everyday I could see myself playing well until 50+. Sitting in a desk all day shortening hip flexors, weakening lower back and core, and losing flexibility really sucks when you want to play ball.

So while being finger injured (lol) I have been doing vertical excersises 3 times a week, and tonight I got my first dunk in about 8 years!! Feels good, even if the rim might have been an inch or two low. Turning 37 in 6 days, dang!

Saw a basketball once

I'm 29, and I'm thinking another 29 years.

To be honest my dad robbed me of playing organized ball through highschool. He was big on academics and even though the coach tried convincing him to let me play, there was no luck.

Now that I'm old enough to live my own life, I play ball as much as I want (time permitted) and as seriously as I want. I practice and play like competitvely, and see no end in site for me. But if I ever had to stop, I will get so freakin' depressed, for real.

I rule the local playground tomSR.'s Avatar

till i start peeing myself

I just turned 27 earlier this year. I played with a bunch of 50 yrs.old in a pickup game. They are still good. I learned plenty of "gulang" from them.
    Last edited by Lebron23; 01-17-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Saw a basketball once Hollowman's Avatar

I agree with the above posts about players being older and still effective.

I've come against guys in their 40's and even 50's who are very skilled players. As long as you still enjoy playing is the first step. I don't think there is necessarily a max age (realistically) that should stop you playing.

I recently turned 30 and thought I may start to notice a drop in speed (I play SG), but I feel just as quick as I did when I was 25 if i'm being honest. I stay in shape, play twice a week and try to keep improving.

Don't let an age being a negative impact on improving your game.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Hollowman
    I agree with the above posts about players being older and still effective.

I've come against guys in their 40's and even 50's who are very skilled players. As long as you still enjoy playing is the first step. I don't think there is necessarily a max age (realistically) that should stop you playing.

I recently turned 30 and thought I may start to notice a drop in speed (I play SG), but I feel just as quick as I did when I was 25 if i'm being honest. I stay in shape, play twice a week and try to keep improving.

Don't let an age being a negative impact on improving your game.
    Yup. I think a huge part of it is mental. Knowing age 30 was a round the corner, I admit I hit some confidence snags on the hardwood over the last year, only because I began to let myself wonder, "Alright, is this when I'm going to start losing my athleticism? Will I see a big decrease in my skill now?" And merely thinking that kind of made it happen at times.

However, it turns out I'm still pretty much the same guy. I will say, the major thing that may end up hampering those who plan on playing until 50: lingering injuries. From what I've gathered, soreness and random injuries begin adding up as we age, so I can see that being a deterrent to many. I've experienced some of that over the past year. Random things like back soreness and elbow tendinitis can add up at times.

Learning to shoot layups

I also wanna play forever God willing. Weight lifting is an advantage to keep going and going (and don't skip leg days lol). I just turned 30 and because I've lifted throughout my 20's I haven't lost anything physically and I still feel great. Feel even better than in my teens when I was skinny and didn't do any strength training. I always seemed to be sore then but now my lifting days recover me. The days I'm not playing I'm lifting. So lifting is my advice to staying young. Only thing that's harder as I get older is losing weight as fast as I used to but with proper diet I've worked around it.

However many days I have on this planet that's how long I want to keep playing. Let's be the generation playing into our 100's.

I just hurt my knee maybe 2.5 months ago. Probably a torn meniscus on medial side of my left knee. I have a feeling if I go to the doctor he will find out about my torn knee and suggest surgery if I chose to want to play sports seriously.

I can walk just fine and there is no swelling on my knee but whenever I start running it hurts and I have to stop. That's my physical excuse to quit playing.

But what I learned from playing is that if I played to win then I would continue playing forever. Because you can never win enough. Whenever I am shooting around and some1 would challenge me I would play to "defend myself" (not unlike MJ in the 1998 all star game when kobe semi challenged MJ).

Obviously I am no star but am competitive in my own right. I would put up a good fight, scoring a few points but almost letting the guy win. I didn't wanna try hard anymore because if I did and I won, I would be on path to be addicted to the desire to win. I have come to this epiphany more easily because I was not that good.

You can quit out of "cowardice" or frustration (usually looked down upon in American society). But in my case I quit out of futility because I know no matter how hard I try, I will always be a scrub. I am okay saying this in 2014 though probably not in 1997 when I failed to make my high school varsity team junior year.

Failing at basketball does not mean failure as a person. (Lol new age self rationalization) I was determined to use basketball to my liking and convenience and not let it rule my life and sense of worth and self esteem. It's a sport originally meant to be a form of physical education. No more no less.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Are you serious you play until you can't play anymore.

It might be tomorrow, next week or 40 years from now. Only you will know, it's your body.
    That day has come.

I tore my ACL/meniscus.

I am fckin' done man!

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    That day has come.

I tore my ACL/meniscus.

I am fckin' done man!
    Guy, that sucks. How old are you again? Surgery forthcoming? How did it happen? Very painful?