Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: NBA labor talks broke down on October 20; No new meeting scheduled

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    Try and get Melo's dick out of your mouth for a second. Both sides are guilty. Gotta laugh at the fans picking sides. Like either one gives a f*ck about you. Both sides are completely stuck on getting the best deal for themselves. Clearly far apart.

People should hate the situation and how greedy both sides are, not just hate on side for not caving.
    You're gonna sit here and tell me that what the owners doing is right? You realize that they've pretty much been lying to the fans consistently about what's been offered and what's been happening. I mean they go into the negotiations offering like 46%, the hard cap, shorter contracts and some other things... are you kidding me? Yes I understand that most teams are losing money, but the loses are covered with the players at 53 and the owners still want more. I mean cmon these guys buy these teams for hundreds of millions of dollars not for business reason but for essentially "a toy." Hell even Dan Gilbert (one of the biggest hawks) was quoted a few years ago saying that buying an NBA team was like buying a fancy piece of art. You don't buy art, a ferrari or a diamond ring to make money off it...

Also I don't see why you would relate this to me being a Melo fan... that really has ZERO effect on my views. The way I see it is, why should the players be giving up so much when it was these owners who made the decision to buy a team and these same owners who set the player's value so high.

Very good NBA starter

Try and get Melo's dick out of your mouth for a second. Both sides are guilty. Gotta laugh at the fans picking sides. Like either one gives a f*ck about you. Both sides are completely stuck on getting the best deal for themselves. Clearly far apart.

People should hate the situation and how greedy both sides are, not just hate on side for not caving.
    Well that's one thing that's for certain, both sides are in it for themselves. But when billions of dollars are at stake I can't blame them. The thing I don't agree with is that players should be making all the concessions. They've given up money to cover the owners losses, so why can't the owners be held accountable for controlling their own costs?

3-time NBA All-Star

so even the spurs owner want a system change. Hmm

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knicksman
    Yup, he didn't have that issue when the Spurs were dominant though.

Now that they got knocked out in the first and his team is old as Mount Rushmore, he has a problem now.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    Well that's one thing that's for certain, both sides are in it for themselves. But when billions of dollars are at stake I can't blame them. The thing I don't agree with is that players should be making all the concessions. They've given up money to cover the owners losses, so why can't the owners be held accountable for controlling their own costs?
    Because its the owner's money. The owners have the right to do what they want with their money. If they wanted to reduce players salaries coz their investments are losing, then they have the right to do that.

Funny because his team is the example that spending doesn't equal winning. Then he spends a lot this year and loses in the first round to the 8th seed and he's crying bloody murder. His situation is proof that the system is fine, with maybe some tweaks (a little stricter maybe with shorter contracts seems reasonable). They keep saying that spending gives certain teams an advantage and obviously that's true but there also more teams that are hamstrung by their spending. The owners wanting a hard cap or a system similar to a luxury tax is more about them trying to stop themselves from bad decisions than to create parity.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MeLO MvP 15
    Funny because his team is the example that spending doesn't equal winning. Then he spends a lot this year and loses in the first round to the 8th seed and he's crying bloody murder. His situation is proof that the system is fine, with maybe some tweaks (a little stricter maybe with shorter contracts seems reasonable). They keep saying that spending gives certain teams an advantage and obviously that's true but there also more teams that are hamstrung by their spending. The owners wanting a hard cap or a system similar to a luxury tax is more about them trying to stop themselves from bad decisions than to create parity.
    And why do the players not want it, to the point of it being a deal-breaker?

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by knickscity

Now that they got knocked out in the first and his team is old as Mount Rushmore, he has a problem now.
    Or maybe he knows the system is really not fair for small markets.

3-time NBA All-Star

if he thinks that the system is not fine despite having the most wins among the small markets, then the system is really broken. If hard cap works with NFL so why not try it in the nba. And its their right to stop themselves from making bad decisions. If NFL which is a more successful sport have unguaranteed contracts whose players are getting injured every game, why cant the nba? The NBA have higher BRI split despite being less profitable compared to NFL yet they are selfish?Worse is that they even have guaranteed contracts whereas everybody else could get fired if they are not performing and yet owners are selfish despite donating their money to eddy curry's in the league.

Utryin2getthepipe? SevereUpInHere's Avatar

The Spurs are a funny one, sure they drafted magnificently with dudes like Gino and Parker. But they got lucky as f@ck... Balls don't fall their way to get Duncan, they're just another team. Now that those guys are on the decline, they know what's going to happen to them.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Or maybe he knows the system is really not fair for small markets.
    The pack up and move, and quit crying about your not making money, or sell your damn team.

And quit begging for big market bailouts.

3-time NBA All-Star

The pack up and move, and quit crying about your not making money, or sell your damn team.

And quit begging for big market bailouts.
    Its not about the money, its about the chance of small markets in winning a chip. And money will follow after that. The higher the chance, the higher the fan support. And if the owner of the spurs says its it despite winning 4 chips, then theres really something wrong with the system.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

These mother****ers can't meet for more than three days in a row less than two weeks before the season should start. They can ALL go to hell.

The owners are so ridiculous IMO. Seriously the players are giving back 4.5 percent of billions of dollars and you want more? That covers their supposed losses and they still want more. Not to mention this whole system BS. They want to limit their own stupid decisions with a hard cap and they have the gall to say it's for parity. There can't be parity in sports... I mean you don't expect every team to be competitive all the time and it's not like the only teams winning are the big spenders/ big markets. And if they want balance it won't work out because there will always be better cities and organizations. I just wish that these guys would put this much effort into their basketball decisions instead of just trying to bully the players into some crazy new system. The players have literally made multiple concessions and the owners are like that kid in that commercial "... and?" Greedy bastards.

I was completely against decertification but I think it's probably the only way to get these jerks exposed.

Jeez...

/end rant
    Yep.

Wow, how can you still be upset at the Melodrama? He didn't even mention him in his post. Once.

The whole forum was jock riding the owners all of last week, saying it was the players' fault the lockout was still going on. All MM15 did was address the fact that the owners have been lying to the media about the lockout this entire time. So it means he's sided with the players? Pretty big reach.

I do agree with your last sentiment, however; this lockout is dumb. But unions are there to protect the interests of the employees, and owners are there to make sure the wealthy stay wealthy. Expecting either group to make concessions is wishful thinking.

Richard Jefferson's contract.