Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

Default Re: Rockets and Tracy McGrady agree to try to part ways (Dec 28)

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    lol JJ = Shane Battier, sounds like you again trying to sell off Jeffries. You must work with the Knicks mgmt in some form or another.
    Explain to me why Battier is leagues better than JJ.

Actually bagelred, can you give people a rundown of Jared Jefferies? I haven't got the foggiest what kind of player he is apart from the fact he was lamented as a horrible contract a few years ago.

And if he's just another Battier, why would the Rockets want him? It would just clog up minutes at the SF ;)

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    Explain to me why Battier is leagues better than JJ.
    Offensively, there isnt much to compare. Shane has range, something Jared Jeffries lacks. He can hit the shot from downtown, something Jared cant. Shane has the ability to put the ball in the basket (better ball handler), something Jared gets lucky doin. All Jared is? Solid defender who focuses mainly on that because of his shortcomings. And Shane is a better all around defender than Jared Jeffries. Really not hard to explain. Perhaps you watch both more and stop trying to sell off Knick players onto other teams because of this "dream" you envision next season.

Quote Originally Posted by brantonli
    Actually bagelred, can you give people a rundown of Jared Jefferies? I haven't got the foggiest what kind of player he is apart from the fact he was lamented as a horrible contract a few years ago.

And if he's just another Battier, why would the Rockets want him? It would just clog up minutes at the SF ;)
    He would do just that...clog up the position. Heck dude cant even do something as simple as hit Fts. He's missed some key/big ones as a Wizard in the playoffs. He's the type you foul at games end, Shane? Not so much. And of course someone can say come on what are we talkin about FTs? FTs? Well we cant talk about anything offensively when it comes to this guy.

Saw a basketball once Canadiandude13's Avatar

Retire

he will just do the same thing he did in Houston to any other team he is at

OK, here's some numbers comparisons this season between Jeffries and Battier, with Jared's adjusted to equal Battier's minutes. Do they look that different? Battier has more points, Jeffries more rebounds....but very similar right?

Battier is clearly a better shooter, fine.
    Jeffries gets more rebounds.
    Battier is a better free throw shooter.
    Jeffries is the league leader in charges taken.

Jeffries is taller and can also defend more positions on the court.

Here's their efficiency ratings. Is Battier much better?

Not saying JJ is better, just saying how one guy is beloved, other guy is considered a scrub, yet they are similar type players.
    Last edited by bagelred; 12-31-2009 at 06:08 AM.

Perhaps there's a reason why Battier plays 32 minutes and Jefferies plays 24 minutes. Also, numbers are never, never good indicators of players like Battier and Jefferies. Plus I like seeing Battier's credential as College Player of the Year, on the shortlist for the Olympic team, and All-Defensive 2nd team.

Perhaps there's a reason why Battier plays 32 minutes and Jefferies plays 24 minutes.
    Yeah, it's because MDA didn't play JJ beginning of year much. JJ's minutes are up last 12 games. Perhaps that's the reason Knicks are winning. Perhaps.

Also, numbers are never, never good indicators of players like Battier and Jefferies.
    Of course not. Classic.

It's just based on Battier's perception of being much better, which clearly he's not.

When JJ leaves the floor, Knicks defense gets MUCH MUCH worse. So maybe JJ's value is higher than Battier's.
    Last edited by bagelred; 12-31-2009 at 06:25 AM.

Saw a basketball once

I just don't see NY as a good trading partner for the Rockets.
    JJ may help the knicks defense but we have ariza and battier, we don't need him.
    I think if there's a trade it will be with Chicago.

Perhaps there's a reason why Battier plays 32 minutes and Jefferies plays 24 minutes. Also, numbers are never, never good indicators of players like Battier and Jefferies. Plus I like seeing Battier's credential as College Player of the Year, on the shortlist for the Olympic team, and All-Defensive 2nd team.
    You like someone who accomplishes things in his career. Makes the most out of his career. Is a good player. Thats Shane Battier, not Jared Jeffries. So the Jeffries supporters can play with stats, they can become parrots and say "defense suffers when he leaves the game" all they want. At the end of the day they are trying to sell you a used car. And as a car salesmen they gotta bullshyt you. You're being bullshytted. So you can buy what he is selling or not. Or you can come across the street and get a good deal on a reliable car.

If both were the onyl free agents on the market and teams were asked who would they sign? Battier would win that poll easily. But then the teams who voted for Battier just didnt check out the stat chart given to see they are basically 1 and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    You like someone who accomplishes things in his career. Makes the most out of his career. Is a good player. Thats Shane Battier, not Jared Jeffries. So the Jeffries supporters can play with stats, they can become parrots and say "defense suffers when he leaves the game" all they want. :
    Gobb, be honest. How many Knicks games have you seen this year? Be honest. So actually, how do you know ANYTHING about Jeffries. Seems to me YOU are just looking at the stats.

I never said JJ was better than Battier, just that they are similar players. And at this point, the way JJ is playing, I don't believe JJ is much worse at all.

Just like Zach Randolph and Elton Brand. Last year or two, everyone HATED Zach. Thought he was an overpaid bum. Brand could do no wrong. I didn't understand it either. I thought they were similar. Similar numbers. Similar type of talents. Both never really made the playoffs. Except one was the "good guy" and one was the "bad guy".

Look at Zach and Elton now. Which one would you rather have?

I see a similar parallel in Shane and JJ. One is an amazing role player, one is a scrub, right? Really? I don't think so.....

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    Gobb, be honest. How many Knicks games have you seen this year? Be honest. So actually, how do you know ANYTHING about Jeffries. Seems to me YOU are just looking at the stats.

I never said JJ was better than Battier, just that they are similar players. And at this point, the way JJ is playing, I don't believe JJ is much worse at all.

Just like Zach Randolph and Elton Brand. Last year or two, everyone HATED Zach. Thought he was an overpaid bum. Brand could do no wrong. I didn't understand it either. I thought they were similar. Similar numbers. Similar type of talents. Both never really made the playoffs. Except one was the "good guy" and one was the "bad guy".

Look at Zach and Elton now. Which one would you rather have?

I see a similar parallel in Shane and JJ. One is an amazing role player, one is a scrub, right? Really? I don't think so.....
    And now people hate Elton. Wanna know why? Same reason they hated Zach for the most part. Contract. I dont recall anyone saying Zach was a bum. And I never said nor implied you posted JJ > Battier. All I'm saying is you're reaching trying to prove (and havent really done a good job at it) JJ is as good as Battier. The only difference is people like Shane and dont care much for JJ who is viewed as a scrub.

I've seen Jeffries enough in his career to gauge he didnt improve much this season as a player. Only seen enough Knicks games I can count on 1 hand. Shall I force myself to watch more then scout Jeffries to see if there is any changes, improvements to his game? Just so I can feel how I am feeling now? Satisfied with being right? Ok. Maybe I'll do that for you bud.

NBA has alot of role players. Doesnt mean they are all as good as the other. Maybe your line of thinkin and chances are I could be right on this. Is when someone says Shane is better, your brain reads "Shane >>>>> Jared" and well here we are in this thread.

Welcome to the New Age Raj Da Dodge's Avatar

ok whoever is comparing jeffries to battier is a ****ing retard...are yall fcking serious??? Have yall seen Battier play D??? He is the 2nd best perimeter defender in the league behind artest...he is the only player that gives superstars hard times playing. He studies them like nobody else, and yall say jeffries is the same...yall gotta be joking me...I hope yall watch when lakers play rockets every year cuz if yall don't then yall gotta be blind...Battier is a player every team/coach/gm wants to have on their team, one of the first people that pop up is battier, not ****ing jeffries...I seriously think yall are joking. Don't look at Battier's stats, look at what he does defensively, look at the other stuff he does. oh and yall should read the article about Battier in the NY Times...****ing ridiculous...comparing battier to jeffries... just wow...kinda shocking coming from NBA fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Raj Da Dodge
    ok whoever is comparing jeffries to battier is a ****ing retard...are yall fcking serious??? Have yall seen Battier play D??? He is the 2nd best perimeter defender in the league behind artest...he is the only player that gives superstars hard times playing. He studies them like nobody else, and yall say jeffries is the same...yall gotta be joking me...I hope yall watch when lakers play rockets every year cuz if yall don't then yall gotta be blind...Battier is a player every team/coach/gm wants to have on their team, one of the first people that pop up is battier, not ****ing jeffries...I seriously think yall are joking. Don't look at Battier's stats, look at what he does defensively, look at the other stuff he does. oh and yall should read the article about Battier in the NY Times...****ing ridiculous...comparing battier to jeffries... just wow...kinda shocking coming from NBA fans.
    Yet the Knicks are the #2 team in the league at defending the perimeter, with JJ as our defensive captain...hmmmm....go figure.

NBA Finals

Quote Originally Posted by Bano114
    Yet the Knicks are the #2 team in the league at defending the perimeter, with JJ as our defensive captain...hmmmm....go figure.
    really? wow. i didnt think anyone took D'Antoni serious when he said that they were gonna start playing Defense