Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain free throw dunks:

Quote Originally Posted by Asukal
    Mind telling me why Wilt claimed he dunks from inside the circle while in the Tex Winter interview he said Wilt was not on top of the circle but 3 steps behind?

THIS...

Great "witness"..

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Give it up Dickwad...

You have been shredded here. And you NEVER provide ANY evidence to the contrary in ANY of these discussions.

We have VIDEO footage, respected first hand accounts, newpaper articles which confirm them...and all you provide is that you don't believe it.
    Haha, how am I getting shredded when all you do is BS..
    Wilt's "witnesses" are so great that they don't even tell the same story as Wilt himself..

*Check ASUKAL's post..

Mind telling me why Wilt claimed he dunks from inside the circle while in the Tex Winter interview he said Wilt was not on top of the circle but 3 steps behind?
    AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAAAAAAAA

Oh your Mr. "TAKE WILT LITERALLY!" All of the sudden!?

Wilt exaggerated Sherlock. Surely this can't be news to you!? - If it is you have a selective memory..... It seems in any other situation you wouldn't hesitate to point this out.

Tex on the other hand, inventor of the Triangle Offense, told sh!t like it was, rarely with a sense of humor. And his version of the story in 1956, and 2011 both offered a perfect and detailed description of Wilt taking 3 steps.

Believing what Wilt says word for word is NOT good practice. Believing what someone else says two different occassion's that line's up chronologically with the gist of what Wilt says is absolutely plauible.
    Stop being retarded

When wilt says top of the circle, does this mean the 3 point line? I just don't see how that's humanly possible.

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    Haha, how am I getting shredded when all you do is BS..
    Wilt's "witnesses" are so great that they don't even tell the same story as Wilt himself..

*Check ASUKAL's post..
    Wilt exaggerates. Everyone admits it regardless of what they believe he does or not. Stop being so ridiculously stupid

It's obvious in this situation. Tex Winter's story is true - and the gist of what Wilt says is true (dunking as a freshman). He exaggerates how he did it because of course, he's Mr. 20,000 himself.

Put the two consistent parts together, subtract the exaggeration - and BOOM you've got what happened

It isn't rocket science unless your f_cking retarded

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAAAAAAAA

Oh your Mr. "TAKE WILT LITERALLY!" All of the sudden!?

Wilt exaggerated Sherlock. Surely this can't be news to you!? - If it is you have a selective memory..... It seems in any other situation you wouldn't hesitate to point this out.

Tex on the other hand, inventor of the Triangle Offense, told sh!t like it was, rarely with a sense of humor. And his version of the story in 1956, and 2011 both offered a perfect and detailed description of Wilt taking 3 steps.

Believing what Wilt says word for word is NOT good practice. Believing what someone else says two different occassion's that line's up chronologically with the gist of what Wilt says is absolutely plauible.
    Stop being retarded
    That's why we whom jlauber love to call "wilt haters" don't believe all of Wilt's stories. Most are just tall tales.

You're pretty funny actually since it is you who posted what Wilt said as your argument and proof of his claim. Who's retarded now? Me who questioned the inconsistency or you who posted the tall tale as proof?

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

{copied this from another thread...... http://insidehoops.com/forum/showthr...=236610&page=6
    and it's post #78 on there}

I don't know the myths on ish about Wilt dunking free throws.... but here is some fact.

Interview with of Tex Winter, Kansas State basketball coach back in the 50s, talking about being chair of the Coaches Rules committee, and going to see Chamberlain as a freshman at KU.

You may or may not know, but K State - KU is a terrific rivalry.......... so for Tex to come up with some rules that would stop the arch-rival is, well, typical college operations.

The whole interview is awesome, the Chamberlain talk starts about 3:15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyz-FhP2ONk

Kind of like a Bill of Attainder lol "legislating" against Chamberlain.

Of course, no video footage, so it never happened right

The first guy I ever saw leap to the hoop from the free throw line was Mr. Jerry West. He didn't dunk the ball, he rolled it in over the rim. In those days a lot of guys never dunked at all. The idea was, it was considered insulting and would make the other team play harder against you. Lot of times I saw Logo's hand at the top of the block though... that man could sky plus, his arms were looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnngggg

like Mr. Fantastic lol

But yeah Tex saw Chamberlain dunking free throws....

This thread though, is just like the clips of Chamberlain's vertical.
    Even when these guys see proof with their own eyes they don't believe it, so what can you do? If you bring a horse to water and he won't drink, well everybody knows you just got a dumb horse. Glue factory?

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    When wilt says top of the circle, does this mean the 3 point line? I just don't see how that's humanly possible.
    No 3 pt line then. Take Tex Winter's account more literal than Wilt who liked to exaggerate.

Take what Wilt says with a grain of salt. He also claimed 20,000 women because he likes to embellish stories (Which is not the same as making things up from scratch). Wilt probably f*cked a lot of women, and all the evidence suggests Wilt dunked free throws at least once in front of the scouting eyes of Tex Winter as a freshmen - what he says and what Tex saw as far as the freshman season goes, lines up perfectly.

For the literal description, listen to Tex Winter's account for how he did it.

Wilt took 3 strides, took off (jumped) from behind the line and dunked the ball.

Which coincidentally enough is exactly the same as his high-jump take off technique. - If all he needs is 3 steps to win High-Jump events and championships, than 3 steps is all he needs to free throw dunk exactly as how Tex Describes it in detail. Not how Wilt recalls it. Wilt is the same guy who recalls 20,000 women. Don't take him word for word just take the gist of his story and use it as a means to back up what Tex says.
    http://www.desmoinesregister.com/Vid...lain-high-jump
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 02-26-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Wilt was not only 7-1 (actually probably 7-2) with a measured 7-8 wingspan, but he was also a CHAMPION HIGH JUMPER (doing so PART-TIME, and with poor technique) as well as a competitive LONG JUMPER, TRIPLE JUMPER, and SPRINTER at KU.

We also have this footage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EpVZS26BUs

Now, Dickwad USED to demand VIDEO footage (even though there was very little of ANY footage back then), and now we have EXACTLY that. A VIDEO, in which a Wilt has little time to react, and has to go straight-up (no running start), and his fingertips are clearly near the top of the backboard.

We also have the highly respected Philly sports icon, Sonny Hill, who witnessed Chamberlain touching the top of the backboard, as well as longtime Sixer trainer Al Domenico also making that claim.

THEN, we have the VIDEO conversation in which TEX WINTER claims that Wilt was dunking his FT's, AND, multiple NEWSPAPER accounts, AT THE TIME, which verified it.

Just what in the hell more does Dickwad need???

He also laughed at my assertion that Wilt had a good outside shot (using a FT attempt by a Wilt, late in his career, as some kind of "evidence".) And yet, we not only a HOF coach claiming that Wilt did INDEED have a good outsdie shot, we are now getting more-and-more in game footage in which Wilt is CLEARLY hitting a variety of shots from 15+ feet, including JUMP SHOTS.

Still, Dickwad doesn't believe (well, he doesn't WANT to believe it.)
    But there is a HUGE difference between the long jump and high jump. Long jumpers need to build up momentum. Dunking a ft would be similar to a long jump. I dont see how he could do that with three small steps. Inside the circle.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Take what Wilt says with a grain of salt. He also claimed 20,000 women because he likes to embellish stories (though, not necessarily make things up from scratch). Wilt probably f*cked a lot of women, and in this scenario Wilt dunked free throws goofing around in practice as a freshmen.

But listen to Tex Winter's account for how he did it.

3 strides jump and dunk.

Which coincidentally enough is exactly the same as his high-jump take off technique. - If all he needs is 3 steps to win High-Jump events and championships, than 3 steps is all he needs to free throw dunk exactly as how Tex Describes it in detail. Not how Wilt recalls it. Wilt is the same guy who recalls 20,000 women. Don't take him word for word just take the gist of his story.
    http://www.desmoinesregister.com/Vid...lain-high-jump
    Astonishingly enough jlauber believes EVERY word.

That's why we whom jlauber love to call "wilt haters" don't believe all of Wilt's stories. Most are just tall tales.

You're pretty funny actually since it is you who posted what Wilt said as your argument and proof of his claim. Who's retarded now? Me who questioned the inconsistency or you who posted the tall tale as proof?
    Support

And the fact that winter saw it or is making the claim is the only thing thats giving this validity at all.

But then again, there's been thousands of accounts about big foot. And I still don't beliieve it

But there is a HUGE difference between the long jump and high jump. Long jumpers need to build up momentum. Dunking a ft would be similar to a long jump. I dont see how he could do that with three small steps. Inside the circle.
    He was 3 (Wilt sized) steps behind it. Not inside it.

Listen to Tex Winter's account. Don't listen to Wilt word for word, he's well known to embellish his exploits.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

there wasn't a 3 point line back then.... the ABA had one but that was easily a decade after Chamberlain was in college.

Now Tex Winter says Chamberlain was about 3 steps behind the circle, while Chamberlain said he could do it starting at the circle.

This article talks about Chamberlain's broad jump

http://ezinearticles.com/?Wilt-Chamb...all&id=4113288

Around the same time Wilt was also putting up ridiculously impressive broad jump numbers that are understood to be as far as 22 feet. For comparison purposes almost all high school track athletes can not reach 22 feet in a running long jump and Wilt is reported to have reached that length from a stationary standing broad jump position.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/4113288

Well the math is kinda cool because if you can standing broad jump say, 15 feet, you won't get to the rim since it's 10 feet up. But now Wilt's standing reach was 9'6" so to touch the rim from a standing broad jump, he might only have to get maybe 17 feet.... far enough in the arc of his leap that he can still touch the rim you see.

edit: I don't know that the guy can jump that far.... I'm just saying these articles are EVERYWHERE saying he could. Now a running long jump? absolutely I'd bet money he could get 22'
    I've seen Chamberlain many a time take 3 huge running steps from the corner to the basket when he was playing defense. This was when he was a Sixer.

And if you think about it that is some freakishly amazing size with serious springs in those legs so yeah I have no doubt he could pretty much dunk free throws. Nobody back then doubted it, but we were watching the guy you know? and you could see for yourself what he could do right on the court.
    Last edited by La Frescobaldi; 02-26-2012 at 02:10 PM.