Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: This must be said: The Wire is overrated

All this thread reaffirms is that you didn't understand anything about the show.

Literally every single insight in regards to the show you personally came up with was completely besides the point of the show. And this is not just me or your "haters" ( ) talking, literally everyone in the thread observed this.

You try to criticise the show based on it's content, but you completely fail to even identify said content. It's one of the most cringe inducing analyses I have ever seen.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    All this thread reaffirms is that you didn't understand anything about the show.

Literally every single insight in regards to the show you personally came up with was completely besides the point of the show. And this is not just me or your "haters" ( ) talking, literally everyone in the thread observed this.

You try to criticise the show based on it's content, but you completely fail to even identify said content. It's one of the most cringe inducing analyses I have ever seen.
    Yeah I didn't understand anything because it was extremely deep. Almost every single one of the things mentioned that I supposedly didn't "get" I did. I think most of you are trying too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Almost every single one of the things mentioned that I supposedly didn't "get" I did.
    Which is why you "got it" only after people mentioned it and completely failed to properly assert it on your own iniation.

Quote Originally Posted by BRabbiT

whether or not you're into it, the Wire can NOT be evaluated after one fukcing chapter. it's an epic story. it's not episodic.

I disagree. If he watched the first season, and didn't like it, what makes you think he's going to like Season 2 or Season 3? The topics change season to season, but the tone is the same.

The Wire is just not for him. Probably likes CSI or CSI Miami or CSI New York. Stick with those.

^^

well, i agree with you that he (or anyone) can decide if they don't like something (e.g., the Wire) after just a taste (e.g., one season).

no argument there.

but a small sample size isn't enough to properly evaluate something as 'worthwhile', 'overrated', or somewhere in between.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    I never watched Lost, but when you think Breaking Bad, The Wire, and The Sopranos aren't very good the problem isn't the shows.
    Game, set, match.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Also have to LOL @ show's lack of "originality" when 90% of the characters are drawn from David Simon's actual experiences in Baltimore.

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    Also have to LOL @ show's lack of "originality" when 90% of the characters are drawn from David Simon's actual experiences in Baltimore.
    Don't forget Ed Burns. He was The Wire's secret weapon.

He spent 20 years as a cop then retired and became a school teacher. The Wire is much more about his experiences than Simon's. In fact season 5 which focused on the failures of the press and thus was based on David Simon's experiences was the weakest season.

Burns was a producer, writer, and co-creator (also with Simon) of the HBO series The Wire. They originally set out to create a police drama loosely based on Burns' experiences working on protracted investigations of violent drug dealers using surveillance technology. He had often faced frustration with the bureaucracy of the police department, which Simon equated with his own ordeals as a police reporter for the Baltimore Sun. Writing against the background of current events, including institutionalized corporate crime at Enron and institutional dysfunction in the Catholic Church, the show became "more of a treatise about institutions and individuals than a straight cop show."[7]
    David Simon obviously brought his own talents to The Wire, but Ed Burns is the real deal. I think both Burns and Simon come from religious traditions that teach that you can't give up on the poor. I know that watching The Wire, I was reminded of the best parts of Catholic moral teaching.

Here's an interview with him.
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=6524743

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

I havent seen it but hate how much love it gets. No way its better than sopranos. I will start watching it next week.

Good show, but too many black people. I like Season 2 though. Less black people.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

It's really good, but I have no clue how anyone can say its better than The Sopranos.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

season 3 and 4 are up there in regards to best seasons of all shows all time.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CeltsGarlic
    I havent seen it but hate how much love it gets. No way its better than sopranos. I will start watching it next week.
    I absolutely loved the sopranos when i started watching it. I thought christopher was such a bad ass. After i finished the sopranos, i started the wire. It out shined the sopranos is every facet.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    I absolutely loved the sopranos when i started watching it. I thought christopher was such a bad ass. After i finished the sopranos, i started the wire. It out shined the sopranos is every facet.

This is where The Wire starts to get overrated. The Sopranos will forever be known and talked about. The Wire will be remembered by people that post on message boards and drive a Prius. Its a great show, but it isn't better than The Sopranos.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    This is where The Wire starts to get overrated.
    That's basically why I made this thread. The Sopranos revolutionized not just TV, but impacted culture and film in the process. Like you stated it will be rembered forever as that.

Wire was good but there's a difference between being good and GREATEST SHOW OF ALL TIME. Do people not see the hyperbole around this show.