Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saw a basketball once

Default Should I put insoles in my basketball shoes?

I got an extra pair of Dr Scholl gel insoles and wonered if I should put them in my basketball shoes. Would they slow me down? Would they help?

Default Re: Should I put insoles in my basketball shoes?

lol why dont you just put them in your shoes and see how they feel? everyones different

Yea I mean if it feels good then it can only help.

NBA Superstar

Are there any insoles that tend to work better for athletes (as opposed to general, walk-around shoes)? My Jordan I's came with loose insoles that bunch up on every single cut and I wondered if it'd ever be possible to find something that'd make those shoes playable.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore ABPrints's Avatar

I don't like putting gel inserts in sports shoes, or ones that will be worn for that purpose anyhow. I feel the cushioning effect doesn't give enough reaction force. For instance, try jumping up to touch the rim off a gymnastics mat, then try it off the gym floor.

Quote Originally Posted by ABPrints
    I don't like putting gel inserts in sports shoes, or ones that will be worn for that purpose anyhow. I feel the cushioning effect doesn't give enough reaction force. For instance, try jumping up to touch the rim off a gymnastics mat, then try it off the gym floor.
    Wouldn't it be easier on your joints though?

I don't get picked last at the park anymore ABPrints's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    Wouldn't it be easier on your joints though?

I don't think there is enough to trade off of explosiveness for a bit of joint protection. If someone has achy joints, they may want to use them as they may not have, or care about the reactive force.

Decent playground baller Lancerballer21's Avatar

I havent ever put insoles persay in my shoes but from 8th to 10th grade i had to wear heel supports cause i had pains on the heels of my feet (its cause i used to run on my heels and when i would run track, since the spikes had no heel support and it damaged them pretty bad. I never wore them for basketball really but i found that they were great for soccer except for sometimes when i kicked the inserts would slide up and that was a little uncomfortable.

But i would recommend them if you have any bad pains in your feet. Cause now i dont need my heel supports anymore.

Not airballing my layups anymore Euroball5's Avatar

Try springbak insoles they wont slow you down but they might make you a bit faster and are great for injury prevention. Google it if you don't believe me.

Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

It depends on your foot type. If you have the wrong type of shoes for your foot, then you add the wrong insoles to band-aid the problem, your feet are going to change molds, and you will develop foot problems.

If your insoles slide inside your shoe, that means you are either putting your shoes on wrong(putting them on like slippers) or the shoe size is sligtly wrong(not neccessarily length of the shoe, but the width too).

If you feel you must have insoles, I reccomend you research moldable insoles. Archmolds is one example.

Sprinkbaks are technically inserts, and not insoles. You put them under the insole, and don't use them as insoles. People don't search for "shoe inserts" so you can understand why they don't market them like that.

Local High School Star BrentISballin's Avatar

I have custom insoles from a chiropractor and they are specifically for athletes, had them for about 9 months and they have not worn down. The company is called foot levelers, check it out if you want

http://www.footlevelers.com/

Learning to shoot layups LRVBADASSBALLIN's Avatar

Those insoles don't do jack. They might feel good but as far as support, fallen arches, ankles turning inward/outward, your need the real supports...orthodics. Those cost $250 & up. That's what the NBA, pro athletes use. And they make a world of a difference too!

Quote Originally Posted by LRVBADASSBALLIN
    Those insoles don't do jack. They might feel good but as far as support, fallen arches, ankles turning inward/outward, your need the real supports...orthodics. Those cost $250 & up. That's what the NBA, pro athletes use. And they make a world of a difference too!

Damn... I need to get this job at Costco so I can buy me some of those

Learning to shoot layups LRVBADASSBALLIN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrentISballin
    I have custom insoles from a chiropractor and they are specifically for athletes, had them for about 9 months and they have not worn down. The company is called foot levelers, check it out if you want

http://www.footlevelers.com/
    Heeeeeyyy, this exactly what I got. My bud is a Chiro & he highly suggested I get these. I've got the leather ones, AWESOME! I don't know what I'd do w/o them! THAT HOW GOOD THEY ARE!

Saw a basketball once

Update, I stuck the insoles in my shoes and played one game of pickup basketball and my feet started hurting. I knew I was going to get injured if I kept them in so I threw them out right after the game was over.