Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default Posterize's Pro Prospects

I decided to make a thread in which I break down 1 player each day leading up to the draft. I'll discuss their abilities, their stock, what teams I see them fitting in with, what their best case/worst case scenarios are, and a comparison if possible. The guys I will not discuss are Brandon Jennings, Ricky Rubio, Gani Lawal, Marcus Thornton, and Omri Casspi, as well as any other international players because I know very little about them.

The players will be chosen at random and in no particular order. So to start it off...

James Harden, SG, Arizona St.

James, put in the right situation, could be the player in the draft most ready to contribute now. A crafty lefty, Harden has an uncanny ability to get into the lane and to the free throw line whenever he pleases. His slashing ability tops out in this draft at his position by far and he has a way of finishing difficult shots around the basket. His passing from a 2 guard position is above average, though sometimes he can get into trouble if his drives to the bucket are cut off and the defense collapses on him, leading to a turnover.

Harden's biggest weakness as of now is shooting off of the dribble. When he receives the ball on the perimeter, his only options are to isolate and try to get to the bucket, catch and shoot, or pass. If his lane to the bucket is cut off in isolation chances are he's going to miss the jumper. Part of this could be because he doesn't get much elevation on his jumper, therefor barely getting it over his defenders hands.

The closest, and no not an exact comparison, that I can come to is Manu Ginobili. Both left handed, similar size, great driving ability to get to the basket and similar as stand-still shooters. What Manu has that Harden doesn't is mentioned above, the ability to shoot off the dribble. If Harden can develop this ability his offensive arsenal could be lethal.

Best Case Scenario: 21 ppg, 2nd option on a team
    Worst Case Scenario: 6th Man
    Stock: No higher than 3, no lower than 12
    Best Fit Situations: Thunder (3), Raptors (9), Bobcats (12)

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Default Re: Posterize's Pro Prospects

I still like Harden a lot as a player, but personally I've cooled on him a bit. As weak as this draft is, he's probably still a top 5 pick. But I'm not sure he'll ever be more than a quality 6th man, I really don't think his ceiling is much higher than what we've already seen from him. From a top 5 pick you're expecting a bonafide starter with ASG aspirations, and I don't think he'll ever give you that.

This is such an odd draft, we're going to look back on it in 5 or so years and wonder what the hell some teams were thinking letting Player X slip out of the lotto or taking Player Z at 6 (just an example Sota fans, no harm meant). It's all potential.

Harden's probably one of the "safer" picks in the lottery. You know that when you draft him you're not getting that every year all-star, but you're not getting a scrub either. The guy can play. There are probably a good 12 teams he's capable of starting for as a rookie and contributing fine. I think at the worst he's a Delonte West type offensively. Not someone who completely stands out in the offense but gives you what you ask of him.

James' wingspan (6'11") is also key in helping him get swipes from his opponents. Could someday be a 2 steal per game guy. Personally I'd like to see him be Durant's sidekick, but I'm unsure if the Thunder would go that way (they could go big with Thabeet or if Rubio drops they won't pass on him). Toronto is also a good landing spot for him if he dropped.

McCants is Available!!

I've noticed alot of guys don't know much about Thornton. There really is no spot on comparison for him but he kinda reminds me of Jannero Pargo and JR Smith. He's the type of guy you bring off the bench to get you buckets. He takes some wild shots that will make you scratch your head but when they fall all you can do is clap and hope he gets back on defense.
    Last edited by Mr_Basketball#1; 05-31-2009 at 11:50 AM.

Decent playground baller

People are forgetting that Harden was a better prospect then BRoy coming out of college, and he's 2 years younger.
    2 years is a huge difference w/ players that young.

His game is fairly similar to Broys.

Can anybody name a lefty that doesn't at least have a decent jumper? I don't even know any of my lefty friends that can't shoot. Just seems like it's something instinct with them.

Terrence has the most complete overall game with few weaknesses of any SG/SF in the draft. He's an Andre Iguodala clone. A jack of all trades type with the only thing holding him back is his outside jumpshot, which while still shaky has come a long way in his 4 years. In fact, him playing a full 4 years is what's holding his draft stock so low. This is one of those cases where I hate how the NBA teams become fascinated with players who have shown little (Derozan for example) over guys who have shown and all-around game like Williams.

Williams has the potential to be the guy on team who guards the opposing team's best wing player. He has plenty of size/quickness to guard any SG in the league, and the skill to guard certain smaller SF's. He's a guy who gets plenty of steals and gets out on the break to show his athleticism. Williams should top out as one of the best athletes in the draft.

In my opinion, he should be ranked higher in the draft than what most mocks show him at (in the early 20's) and would rank him well above fellow SG's Tyreke Evans, Wayne Ellington, Chase Budinger, and possibly Gerald Henderson. He ranks #1 from the position in passing, rebounding, and man-to-man defense IMO with shooting/ballhandling the only attributes he's not on top of the list.

The best situations for Williams are Chicago (16) or New Orleans (21), with NO being the best spot. The Hornets only have 1 SG/SF under 30 years old on the team (Julian Wright); ages are Rasual Butler (30), Peja (31), Posey (32), Peterson (31), Devin Brown (30). Terrence could form a great backcourt with Chris Paul and be his running mate in an up-tempo game, while also creating scoring opportunities for the Hornets shooters. His lack of shooting would be hidden with the Hornets good deep-ball threats.

To add to the Andre Iguodala comparison, here's the stats of each player from their last year in college...

Terrence Williams- 33.0 mpg|12.5 ppg|5.0 apg|8.6 rpg|2.3 spg
    Andre Iguodala- 32 mpg|12.9 ppg|4.9 apg|8.4 rpg| (can't find Andre's steals, but as a 1.8 spg career # I assume it was a lot)

And their draft combine measurements...

Terrence Williams- 6'5

Patty Mills!
    Once this dude isnt in a position to carry his team and have a smart shot selection he could be a beast, hopefully Tony Parker v2. I mean at the olympics he got:
    22pts in 24 mins vs Argentina
    15pts in 25mins vs Iran
    13pts in 17mins vs Lithuania
    20pts in 29mins vs USA

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

I'm almost to the point where if none of the big names drop (Holiday, DeRozan, etc) to 13, I expect Indy to take Williams. I'd love to have the kid. With Marquis Daniels soon to depart, Dunleavy Jr on the shelf for who knows how long, there's not much depth at the wing at all. Williams can play right now in a backup role with the potential to blossom into a very good 6th man. Bird loves polished and experienced players, and I think it's going to be Williams, Maynor, or Blair.

McCants is Available!!

I heard that the Hornets were selling there first round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    I'm almost to the point where if none of the big names drop (Holiday, DeRozan, etc) to 13, I expect Indy to take Williams. I'd love to have the kid. With Marquis Daniels soon to depart, Dunleavy Jr on the shelf for who knows how long, there's not much depth at the wing at all. Williams can play right now in a backup role with the potential to blossom into a very good 6th man. Bird loves polished and experienced players, and I think it's going to be Williams, Maynor, or Blair.
    I think it was the Pacers forum I posted in saying that T-Will would be good for them. But I forgot about Brandon Rush. What's going on with him? He had some great games (statistically) at the end of the year.

edit: It seems Williams is moving up some mocks. draftexpress now has him going to the Pacers
    Last edited by Posterize246; 06-01-2009 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Basketball#1
    I heard that the Hornets were selling there first round pick.
    I heard that a couple weeks ago. Seems like they're old though, I'd keep it.

I usually hit open layups

Harden, is probably the best all-around player in this draft. I think he'll have a huge impact in the league and will be a better pro than he was a college player. He reminds me a lot of Brandon Roy with this size and ability to even play point guard. Like Roy, Harden is sneaky with his quickness and athleticism as well. I think his best destination would be Washington where he can share ball handling duties with Arenas.

Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaSportz
    Harden, is probably the best all-around player in this draft. I think he'll have a huge impact in the league and will be a better pro than he was a college player. He reminds me a lot of Brandon Roy with this size and ability to even play point guard. Like Roy, Harden is sneaky with his quickness and athleticism as well. I think his best destination would be Washington where he can share ball handling duties with Arenas.
    Washington has Nick Young in place at SG. I'm assuming Washington goes big with Jordan Hill or Earl Clark since Antawn is getting old and Haywood is coming off injury.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

I'm not particularly sold on Williams. I love his athleticism, am intrigued by his all around play...but as a player I think he doesn't seem to have that competitive spirit. He reminds me of a poor man's T-Mac, a guy who has the talent to be way more than he is, but is content in doing just what he's asked to do. I just think he could be an Eddie Jones good type player, but instead I think he'll end up just being a glue guy instead.