Default SONY Developing V/R for the PS4

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/18/p...rtual-reality/

This would be sweet....or cause seizures.....either way, I'm in.

Default Re: SONY Developing V/R for the PS4

And the new Oculus Rift is coming out as well.

Got some competition already for VR.

Not sure if I like the idea of it though.

What does this do?

In theory, a well tuned experience would be amazing. Make you feel like you are in the game, and with the move integration, or steering wheel (driving games), it could seriously give you a sense of awe.

That said, I don't think that the ps4 is powerful enough to truly deliver an experience that will be mind blowing. The rift has the benefit that it can draw power from beastly machines, machines that run 10 or 20x more powerfull than ps4.

The more vr platforms there are, the better the chance that we get good support for it, and it doesn't go the way of og kinect, and ps move.

Now with two vr devices to develop for you have a much larger market to develop games for, and therefore make money on. Gamers won, just a little bit yesterday.

If vr becomes a huge deal, which I truly hope it does, then I fully expect the next gen consoles (ps5, etc) to come bundled with vr, and a wiimote/move. Then it is down to buying wheels, guns, other devices to fit the games you play.

Edit: I would like to add that the screen needs to be higher than 1080p. This thing is an inch from your eyeball so the pixels become super obvious. 4k tech will be a godsend for vr. I also personally believe that curved oled screens will ne great aswell so there are no dead zones. Anything can break the immersion, a slight deadzone on the sides, seeing the pixels, the refresh rate, really anything.

Valve mentioned they think vr needs to be 90hz. If that is true, then 120 will be the expected baseline next gen, and pc will already be at 360hz lol.
    Last edited by lilgodfather1; 03-19-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodfather1

Edit: I would like to add that the screen needs to be higher than 1080p. This thing is an inch from your eyeball so the pixels become super obvious. 4k tech will be a godsend for vr. I also personally believe that curved oled screens will ne great aswell so there are no dead zones. Anything can break the immersion, a slight deadzone on the sides, seeing the pixels, the refresh rate, really anything.

Valve mentioned they think vr needs to be 90hz. If that is true, then 120 will be the expected baseline next gen, and pc will already be at 360hz lol.
    http://www.roadtovr.com/what-does-it...e-oculus-rift/

The Rift is mostly curved enough for it to never break the sense of immersion. And there's a lot of rumors stating that the next version of it will almost certainly eliminate it already. link

Whether those rumors are true or not, we're gonna see pretty soon.

Banned

looks like a cool step in the evolution of VR. I'm not sold on this being much more than a tech demo this generation though. Like the kinect was last gen I don't see many developers working on a piece of tech that not every PS4 user has. It ends up with a chicken and egg situation where users need games to buy the peripheral but devs need a user base to commit to big budget games that fully utilize it.

That being said if it's priced decently I'll probably get one just for the novelty when I eventually get a PS4 sometime next year.

Also to note microsoft have been working on a VR set for a few years now as well so I wonder if this will prompt them to announce/release actual details on it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    http://www.roadtovr.com/what-does-it...e-oculus-rift/

The Rift is mostly curved enough for it to never break the sense of immersion. And there's a lot of rumors stating that the next version of it will almost certainly eliminate it already. link

Whether those rumors are true or not, we're gonna see pretty soon.
    Yeah the OR is going to be great. However, the rift is going to need a lot of power to run it. The consumer version of the rift should be 4k oled. It will be expensive, but for an immersive experience it would be worth it imo. 1600p should be the baseline for the rift.

Even minecraft level games would be great in vr. Ports of ps3 games to vr in ps4 would be good enough to get me to buy one, especially games like the last of us, and other horror games.

Edit: I almost wonder if sony will pull a magic rabbit from their ass, and make the screen 1920x1200. If the game is built with vr in mind then hitting that resolution should be possible. There is already a supersampled game on ps4, one of the lego ones.
    Last edited by lilgodfather1; 03-20-2014 at 09:02 AM.