Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Is LeBron the greatest athlete of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    Iverson was quite the athlete too, he was an amazing football player in college, and could've played college and maybe found a fit in the NFL at some point.

Let's also not forget Charlie Ward. Dude was an elite QB for Florida State and was the starting PG for the Knicks for quite sometime in the 90's and early 2000's.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

The guys who were elite in multiple sports are the ones who immediately come to mind in any discussion involving "best athlete" ever.

Dave Winfield is one that people often forget, but he has to be in any discussion like this.

Winfield was a first-ballot baseball Hall of Famer, which is arguably the most difficult sport to achieve that honor. Amazing as a hitter, fielder and base-runner. A true all-around stud athlete.

But, that is just one aspect...

He was also the starting power forward on a National Championship Minnesota college team, drafted by the Hawks and later played for Utah...

And, just for good measure, he was also drafted by the Minnesota Vikings.

He is the only athlete ever to be drafted in three professional sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    You're saying LeBron couldn't excel at other sports? Come on...

Stupid argument against him.
    No, what's stupid is assuming that he would when he hasn't.

Sorry that calling him a "genetic marvel" and "the fastest guy that size ever", but being unwilling to give him the unilateral title of Greatest Athlete Ever, hurts your feelings or somehow diminishes your LeBron-fueled fantasies.
    Last edited by JMT; 02-08-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    No, what's stupid is assuming that he would when he hasn't.
    All state receiver in high school. You mean to tell me if LeBron dedicated himself to football instead of basketball, that he wouldn't be in the NFL right now? Obviously you can't confirm that he would be, but based on logic and reason, it's safe to say LeBron could excel at the very least, one other sport.

I'm more speaking on athletic traits than skillsets... there is a difference....

You can be an elite "athlete" without actually having many athletic traits. Ala Tiger Woods. Think a little man.

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    LeBron's not that different from a guy like McGrady....but find me another Shaq.
    Shaq is a monster athlete for basketball but in other sports he'd be just useless.

I think MJ, Lebron and some other athletic dudes in the NBA are freak of natures and could play plenty of other sports and not be too big and clumsy for it. I mean lot at a game like soccer, if you're 6-2 or taller you're usually tall and clumsy. Guys like Jordan and Lebron would have no problems fitting in.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Ehh...idk.

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    No.

Probably some NFL safety or running back. Many have 40 inch verticals. Many can bench 325 + pounds. Many have 4.30 40 yard dash times.

Basically:

Lebron and all NBA players are where they are because they have skills. Lebron has good handles, an average NBA jump shot (which would be better than 99% of random people walking around the streets), and elite passing vision. That's why he's a super-star.

An NFL safety is where he is because he's fast as shit and strong as sh*t.
    Being able to dribble a basketball efficiently and have passing ability require a high amount of coordination and instincts which is what really sets him apart. It's not just the raw stats like size, strength, and speed, it's the fact that he's so ****ing balanced and coordinated, while being incredibly explosive and displaying crazy stamina and durability. He's the best all around athlete ever. You can't really argue it if you sit back and factor everything in.

He's the best all around athlete ever. You can't really argue it if you sit back and factor everything in.
    You encourage others to "think a little"... and this is your take?

Being able to dribble a basketball efficiently and have passing ability require a high amount of coordination and instincts which is what really sets him apart. It's not just the raw stats like size, strength, and speed, it's the fact that he's so ****ing balanced and coordinated, while being incredibly explosive and displaying crazy stamina and durability. He's the best all around athlete ever. You can't really argue it if you sit back and factor everything in.
    Maybe on the ball handling part, but i wouldn't say passing vision is an athletic trait. It's more of a mental skill. And jump shooting is a very specific thing.

But anyway, it seems like we are just trying to find out who would be the best at all the major sports combined. And I'd go with Deion Sanders there.

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    You encourage others to "think a little"... and this is your take?
    Dude, what the ****? Do you have an argument against it? Not like I'm going out on a limb by saying this, and everything said on here is just an opinion anyways.

What's your argument? Who measures up as an overall athlete like LeBron?

lebron is up there. he could have been an elite WR or TE in the NFL if he chose to be.

but i think Bo Jackson is just the best athlete i have ever seen. he just effortlessly excelled in everything he did.

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    Maybe on the ball handling part, but i wouldn't say passing vision is an athletic trait. It's more of a mental skill. And jump shooting is a very specific thing.

But anyway, it seems like we are just trying to find out who would be the best at all the major sports combined. And I'd go with Deion Sanders there.
    Yah, people are confusing sport skill sets with athletic traits.

I bet Tony Romo and Sam Bradford are better at more sports than LeBron... but are they better athletes in the purest form of the word? Of course not.

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Best athlete of all time = Jim Thorpe

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    lebron is up there. he could have been an elite WR or TE in the NFL if he chose to be.

but i think Bo Jackson is just the best athlete i have ever seen. he just effortlessly excelled in everything he did.
    That's kinda a crazy thing to say.

Even if he was the nation's top WR as a WR his senior year of high school, he wouldn't be guaranteed to be at Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson's, and Larry Fitzgerald's level in the National Football League.

And he wasn't number one in the nation. He was apparently one of the best WR's in his state...and there are 50 states.

Yah, people are confusing sport skill sets with athletic traits.

I bet Tony Romo and Sam Bradford are better at more sports than LeBron... but are they better athletes in the purest form of the word? Of course not.
    Huh?

So now we are discussing athletic traits in the purest form of the word?

Well then an NFL safety or running back is going to easily beat Lebron in this. They are faster, stronger, and many will be able to match Lebron's vertical. It's no contest.