Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Decent college freshman eeeeeebro's Avatar

Default Re: nbadraft.net; Mayo 5th, DeAndre Jordan 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by Manphibian420
    9th!?! I haven't been blown away by his play so far at USC, but given the incredibly slow pace they play, he hasn't really gotten a chance to shine. His very obvious talent comes out at times though, and he's clearly one of the most talented and polished Guards to come into the college game in a long time. Put him on a team like the Suns and he could average at least 15+ in the NBA right now.
    I am a Greene fan, he's taken over the #4 spot for me. He'd be getting HUGE hype in an average year, his level of offensive skill combined with size/athleticism is rare. He's been much better as a freshman than Marvin Williams was(and he was selected over Paul/Deron). Not quite Carmelo, but I could see him being a Rashard Lewis type player in just a couple years given his polish and range.
    DeAndre Jordan I continue to be lukewarm on. Really, there is nothing that makes him a better propect than Thabeet. He hasn't shown any more skill at all, and he isn't any better physically (a little stronger, a few inches shorter). I can still see the potential to be a mid lotto pick, but the Dwight Howard comparison is just stupid. He looks 2-3 years away from stacking up to a rookie Howard, who was dominating at the NBA level at the same age. As I said earlier, a Bynum comparison makes sense, and the team drafting him will probably have to have similar patience. Once again, in an average year he would probably still have enough potential to be a safe bet for the top 5, but this year there is a whole group of guys with the same star potential but a much higher current skill level (ie lower level of risk), and there are also a wealth of center options.
    As for Griffin, the first time I saw him (when I described him as not standing out) he scored 8 vs Memphis. The next time, he scored 4 @ USC. 12 combined points compared to at least 15 in every other game he's played. He's got pretty much an ideal NBA PF body, so if he's able to keep up those 15/9 type numbers against good competition as the year goes on I could see him as a top 5 prospect. I'll take Arthur of Kansas over him for now though, at least until I actually witness some of his skills.
    your saying he is better than grant hill die in a fire n00b

your saying he is better than grant hill die in a fire n00b
    I hope this is sarcasm, but I'll respond to it assuming it's typical ISH idiocy;
    #1)Player X scoring more points than another player doesn't make Player X the better player.
    #2)Grant Hill is scoring 16ppg, above the 15+ppg I said Mayo could get right now, so even if #1 wasn't true, I never projected Mayo to score more.
    #3)Hill is well past his prime (at least physically) so even if I was saying Mayo is better (and I'm not and never did, you brought it up), it would only be compared to Hill playing at maybe 75%

Saw a basketball once

A few comments on these freshmen. No Particular order.

1)Michael Beasley-a beast.....I have seen comparisons from Carmelo Anthony to Derrick Coleman. I think he will play Power Forward in the NBA.......I see him as a cross between Zach Randolph and Ron Artest.

2)Derrick Rose-true Point Guard. Love his game yeah Jason Kidd comes to mind. Can't miss prospect.

3.)Deandre Jordan-Athletic Big Man. Does remind a lot of Andrew Bynum. Huge upside here.

4.)Eric Gordon-don't love him don't hate him. He is what I call a solid player.

5.)Jered Bayless-one of those shooting point guards. A guy who could help the right team but could get lost on the wrong one.

6.)O.J. Mayo-I see Ben Gordon when I see him play. I think he will be just like Ben numbers wise etc..........

7.)Kevin Love-Does everything right. Not very athletic but man has fundamentals. I can't see him helping a bad team become good but I could see him helping a good team become great. Every team needs guys who does things the right way.

8)Donta Greeene-athletic SF type should excite crowds and contribute some.

Some of the under the radar freshmen.

1)Austin Daye-crazy potential. Long Athletic. Doesn't see the playing time at Gonzaga. Smooth game. Probably has as much potential as anyone in the draft. I see a skinny Channing Frye with handles.

2.)Blake Griffin-Carloz Booser type. Bruising athletic Big Man. Another with crazy potential. Could easily see him in the top five.

3.)Anthony Randolph-probably the most underatted freshmen out there. A Chris Bosh clone in many ways. Playing well at LSU. Another who has just as much potential as anyone.

Good college starter

DeAndre Jordan = what Kwame would've looked like if he went to Florida instead of the Wizards

madvillain

As much as I'm not really a Mayo fan, I do think he's a steal going anywhere outside the top 5 or 6. He's gone to waste in a lot of ways in a painfully slow offense that for some baffling reason USC decided shouldn't completely revolve around him.

Scouts look at DeAndre Jordan and can't help but see another potential Dwight Howard, which is pretty self-explanatory.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by new noise
    Scouts look at DeAndre Jordan and can't help but see another potential Dwight Howard, which is pretty self-explanatory.
    This Texas/Texas A&M game is making me see a potential Kwame. The guy is awful.

Karl Malone's bastard TMac&Luther's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dak121
    This Texas/Texas A&M game is making me see a potential Kwame. The guy is awful.
    Yeah, only 9 ppg and 6rpg.......if he was anything like D. Howard his average should be more than double that on the college level.

Good High School Starter

There is no good way to predict how centers will do in the NBA. If you go by collge stats, then Rafael Araujo is an all-star. Every year you see centers go, and every year there are random results. Sometimes the top center is great, sometimes the top center is bad, sometimes a mid-round pick is the best, while sometime lottery picks are out of the NBA in a few years and 2nd rounders are starters. The best you can do is use your best judgement. Whether that is Jordan will be a bust, or Jordan will be an all-star, he will still be a top 10 pick. You can say the same thing about Brook Lopez, Hasheem Thabeet, and Trent Plaisted.

Spurs Forum Moderator The Big Three's Avatar

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/lottery2008/mockdraft

Wow.... Mayo fell to #11, Phoenix in this one.

Just got Insider today, pretty happy. Only cost $40 for a year, too.

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Three
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/lottery2008/mockdraft

Wow.... Mayo fell to #11, Phoenix in this one.

Just got Insider today, pretty happy. Only cost $40 for a year, too.
    From what I was reading in ESPN, people are certain that he's going to be a great scorer on the NBA level. What people wonder is if he'll be able to contribute anything else besides points. I really see another Jamal Crawford when I look at Mayo.

Good college starter

Eric Gordon over Mayo is a joke.

Eric Gordon = Ben Gordon
    Mayo = Brandon Roy

Which guard would you take?

And DeAndre Jordan in the top 5 would confirm my thought that there are people on this message board that can draft as well if not better than most NBA GMs.

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by dak121
    Mayo = Brandon Roy
    I don't think Mayo's basketball IQ is anywhere near Roy's.

Mayo has a tendency to force things on offense, which may be because of the pace of Tim Floyd's offense. Posters on this board seem to be punishing him for the hype he received, and have put on blinders in respect to his game. One on one he has shut down both Derrick Rose and Jerryd Bayless. So in addition to his offensive game, which probably will be more effective in today's NBA, he should be more than adequate on the defensive end. If he drops out of the top 5 some GM will go from dunce to genius in one pick.

Chris Wallace is praying right now that he can put Mayo in Iavaronni's offense with Rudy Gay and let the greyhounds run up the score.