Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default When did slapping hands after every FT become the norm?

I'm thinking the late 1990's? I don't remember teams doing it in the late 80's or early 90's.

If it's a big play, I don't mind it... but in the middle of the game, and a guy misses a FT, and the whole team comes together?

C'mon son.

I remember reading about one guy who actually improved his FT % by not slapping hands after every FT. Apparently he was already thinking about slapping hands before he finished his FT (moving towards the middle), and it was actually hurting his form.

Default Re: When did slapping hands after every FT become the norm?

The 80s I wanna say. I know in the 60s they went right into the shot after they got the ball. No routines except for like Baylor.

didn't some college teams start doing it first? definitely don't remember seeing it in the NBA until the mid 90s, at the earliest

i really hate it. slows the game way down. watch some free throws from the 60's, 2 shots take like 8 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    The 80s I wanna say. I know in the 60s they went right into the shot after they got the ball. No routines except for like Baylor.

I don't think it was that early.

Here is Lakers vs. Pistons NBA Finals 1988;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ3QzPZk7-g

First FT's are at the 3:20 mark. Nobody even thinks about slapping hands after Worthy's FT. And again at the 4:40 mark, nobody tries to slap hands with Salley after the FT miss.

i only really when they give each other low fives even when the player misses his free throw. i mean, cmon!

I've wondered about this for a while. It's so stupid.

I watched a lot of old games in the Summer, and in the 80's I didn't see guys communing together. It's stupid.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

I've asked myself that question too. That's kind of recent. I boycotted the NBA from 2001-2008 and before that when I really followed the NBA through the 90's I don't remember players doing that so much. It's like the league officials told the players you need to do this. I don't care for it, I don't like things that are forced.

Decent college freshman

I've also noticed Dirk always grabs the ball after the first FT and dribbles it once before giving it to the ref. If the ref catches the ball first, he'll take it and dribble it once and give it back.

idk but carl malones routine annoyed the *** outta me

karl mother****er karl f u iphone
    Last edited by Matty2Cool; 05-10-2012 at 04:36 AM.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

I'm not gay (not that there's anything wrong with that) but what happened to the butt slap? I remember jordan used to spank at least 10 players each game during the 90's.

NBA Superstar

It happened sometime in the last ten years.

Kind of annoying when I play with guys who expect this, or expect me to high five them when I am shooting. Frankly I don't want some other dude's sweat on my finger tips pre-free throw when I have worked diligently to dry them. I normally just clap loud a couple of times instead of high-fiving but other times I feel like I have to high five the muthafakka.

Quote Originally Posted by webberz0044
    I'm not gay (not that there's anything wrong with that) but what happened to the butt slap? I remember jordan used to spank at least 10 players each game during the 90's.
    literally or figuratively?

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    It happened sometime in the last ten years.

Kind of annoying when I play with guys who expect this, or expect me to high five them when I am shooting. Frankly I don't want some other dude's sweat on my finger tips pre-free throw when I have worked diligently to dry them. I normally just clap loud a couple of times instead of high-fiving but other times I feel like I have to high five the muthafakka.
    agree 100%............and what about steve nash and all the other finger-licking players..........yuck

NBA Superstar

This is actually an interesting thought. I never paid close enough attention to realize that at one point it wasn't the norm. I'd say for most of my basketball viewing years (1991-2012) I feel like it's been present in some way or form but then again I clearly am likely just assuming as such. I know when I was in high school (1998-2002) it was common. But now that I've gone back and watched some older clips (1990 Pistons/Bulls) it's quite apparent it didn't exist on the same scale back then. In fact, in the small portion I watched, all free throws were self-contained.

Interesting phenomena. I personally did not like high-fiving teammates between free throws. I liked concentrating on my own success.

Decent college freshman theaussieguy's Avatar

its called rythym. You just do it. Like you always shoot FT's in the same motion. Never screw up the ryhtym man. Its awkward tho when a player puts his hand behind him without looking, and the person comes running like 20 feet to high five them by which time the player has stopped putting his hand out. So he gets there and just has to pat him on the back lol.