Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Blu Ray

Default The NBA of 2009: 6 on 5!

Here's the scenario:

Boston @ Portland, end of the second quarter, 10.1 seconds left on the clock. Portland is passing the ball inbounds with six players in the game. Oden gets the ball and passes to Outlaw for the jam to end the half. The entire Celtics team and staff are going insane.

The referee's say it was their mistake, they allow the basket, and Boston shoots a technical free throw.

Let me say that again, they allowed the basket.

Refs call the league office, their response is that it's a technicality and the bucket is good, and there's nothing they can do about it.

What's to stop a team for having 6 guys on the floor at any given time to score a three? All the other team gets is a technical free throw.

Absurd. I don't even want to watch the NBA anymore.

College star

Default Re: The NBA of 2009: 6 on 5!

What was the basis for them saying it was a technicality?

Blu Ray

Quote Originally Posted by sixerfan82
    What was the basis for them saying it was a technicality?
    That's all they had to say. That was the explanation.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer SoCalMike's Avatar

its still 2008 dude....

No Pun Intended ryantheporchkid's Avatar

The refs didn't feel like fixing it. All that was needed was a quick call to the score operator and bam, problem fixed. Just laziness.

Blu Ray

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMike
    its still 2008 dude....

I know.

Very good NBA starter

if the c's lose there will be hell.

Default Blazers score basket against Celtics using six players on the court

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=2883

Tuesday night in Portland the Trail Blazers are hosting the Boston Celtics and late in the second quarter were losing to the visiters 44-38.

With 10 seconds left in the half, Portland took a 20-second timeout. A Blazers substitution brought Jerryd Bayless into the game. Greg Oden was supposed to leave the game, but he didn’t.

So, after the timeout, Bayless inbounded the basketball to Steve Blake. With time ticking down, Blake lobbed it down to Oden outside the left paint near the rim, and Greg quickly flipped it to Travis Outlaw on the right side of the paint, who threw down an open dunk.

LaMarcus Aldridge and Rudy Fernandez were also on the court for the Blazers, giving them six players versus Boston’s five.

Default Re: Blazers score basket against Celtics using six players on the court

This is hilarious!!

NBA sixth man of the year picc84's Avatar

I STILL cant believe they counted the basket.

Hmmmmmmm.............

I assume referees missed fact there were 6 men on court, so game play started. Once game play resumed, and after score, referees realized what happened, calling the technical foul. But I guess technically refs can't go backwards and replay those 10 seconds, so the technical foul is the only recourse.

They can't replay it. It's just a blown call by the refs.

On rare occassions, this can happen. Especially in football, where a team might get away with 12 players on a play here or there.....I don't think its as big a deal as people think, just comical.......
    Last edited by bagelred; 12-31-2008 at 01:09 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by YAWN
    if the c's lose there will be hell.
    Yeah, they'd definitely protest the game. How hard could it have been to rescind the two points and re-run the play? Did they only notice after halftime or something?

Quote Originally Posted by brwnman
    One of the six will get suspended...
    Suspended for what? An honest mistake? I bet Blazers didn't even realize they had 6 guys on court until afterwards.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pete's montreux

What's to stop a team for having 6 guys on the floor at any given time to score a three? All the other team gets is a technical free throw.
    The rule is, the moment the refs find out there is 6 on the floor, it is a technical. So it is a big risk to have a team trying to put 6 on the floor, because usually the refs figure it out before a basket and it is still an automatic technical. So it is a big risk to put 6 on the floor, because more times than not, the refs will figure it out before a basket is made.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred

I assume referees missed fact there were 6 men on court, so game play started. Once game play resumed, and after score, referees realized what happened, calling the technical foul. But I guess technically refs can't go backwards and replay those 10 seconds, so the technical foul is the only recourse.
    My guess is that the rule is like that in case something happens for several plays in a row. The refs can't just go, "Oh wait up, we need to start the whole quarter over." Especially since without replay they can't figure out at which point there was too many players.