View Single Post
Old 01-21-2019, 11:12 AM   #3
hiphopanonymous
Made that high school varsity squad

Default Re: Does practice really make you better?

It made me a LOT better.

Tried the no practice strategy for 6 years. My IQ got better over time but not much else. You need to repeat certain movements 1,000's of times before your body can do what your brain wants it to do with precision and dexterity and a level of such efficiency you just don't even think about it - and in a sport like basketball doing things so quickly that you don't think about it is key. All the thinking gets done during practice if you practice deliberately the moves and scenarios you know happen on a court than it will just start happening during games. It's just the way it is there really is no substitute for practice in my opinion and I learned that after not practicing for so long and then suddenly deciding I was going to give practicing a shot because I felt I wasn't getting any better with what I was doing (nothing).

Talent is aptitude - some people have way more talent than others and you can never change your talent. But skill is practiced. And everyone can gain more skill with practice. Both things are very important in basketball but since you can't change your talent you might as well work on your skill - through practice.
hiphopanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote