Fire Dwane Casey

Default Raptors interested in Omer Asik

[QUOTE]

Default Re: Raptors interested in Omer Asik

I would HATE to see this go down. Casey already sits Val in the 4th and at critical moments in the 2nd half. Now if he had someone other than Aaron Gray to toss out there he would probably spilit the minutes in half. I wondered how long it would take of him being available before I saw a "raptors interested in Asik.." post.

Local High School Star

We need more quality depth at Point Guard and Power Forward (with all due respect to Amir).

This would be a nonsense trade; I pray this is just rumor.

Decent college freshman Dr.Funk's Avatar

I'm a big fan of Asik but we need to play Val and not bring in players that are going to let Casey further ruin this kid.

Plus he has a huge jump salary next season.

Decent college freshman RapsFan's Avatar

Go against the grain here, but can we use Asik in a way to get rid of some longer term contracts? Can Val play the 4 at all?

Saw a basketball once

^^^thats what I'm wondering can Val play the 4 which if he could might for a solid big man front line ala Bynum/Gasol, Gasol/Randolph, Hibbert/west, Robinson/Duncan

Val isn't a hybrid 3/4/5 like a lot of Center's these days. I don't see him being successful against quicker 4's and then throw him next to another guy who is also most successful in the paint and you have another Asik/Howard situation. Asik would be good next to someone like West, Randolph, Bosh, Dirk, etc... but not someone like Val.

don't care what asik does, if his contract is shorter than derozan I say go for it.

Riggin' for Wiggins! Chamberlain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bokes15
    Val isn't a hybrid 3/4/5 like a lot of Center's these days. I don't see him being successful against quicker 4's and then throw him next to another guy who is also most successful in the paint and you have another Asik/Howard situation. Asik would be good next to someone like West, Randolph, Bosh, Dirk, etc... but not someone like Val.
    Agreed. Asik and Valanciunas will both be at their best with a more perimeter oriented 4. David West was mentioned, and as talented in the post as he is, he can effectively play a mid range game which makes his chemistry with Hibbert very good.

Asik and Valanciunas together (and throw in Hansbrough, Johnson, and Gray into the mix) just wouldn't work that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Chamberlain
    Agreed. Asik and Valanciunas will both be at their best with a more perimeter oriented 4. David West was mentioned, and as talented in the post as he is, he can effectively play a mid range game which makes his chemistry with Hibbert very good.

Asik and Valanciunas together (and throw in Hansbrough, Johnson, and Gray into the mix) just wouldn't work that way.
    I actually think it might work since Lousy, DeRozan, Gay and Ross are all long range chuckers. Have Jonas and Asik plant themselves early under the basket and have them feast on the offensive boards. Not the most conventional method for an offensive, but hell, we don't have a conventional team.

Fire Dwane Casey

Quote Originally Posted by BoogieWoogieMan
    I actually think it might work since Lousy, DeRozan, Gay and Ross are all long range chuckers. Have Jonas and Asik plant themselves early under the basket and have them feast on the offensive boards. Not the most conventional method for an offensive, but hell, we don't have a conventional team.
    That's basically what Amir Johnson does with the occasional cringe worthy 3

I guess our next greatest move is to get Val to want to leave town for a mediocre defense-only talent.

No thanks. Redundant and counter productive since I expect valanciunas to be the better player.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

I like Asik but this would be bad for Val. They can't play together IMO. Val is not a 4. I'll pass.

College star

we have a young C who needs lots of playing time. We should not be in the hunt for any top seed or playoff. No need to add a C right now and take away time for V.