Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What position did Oscar Robertson play?

He started mostly point-guard... but he would often ping-pong between positions, he could play up to 4 positions, at his time his length/size/power was equal to plenty PFs, take a look at Elgin Baylor for example, Oscar had identical size and was even more athletic, so more accurately he was a PG-SG-SF and even PF if needed (in that order), extremly versatile...... he was the Magic or Lebron of his time...
    Last edited by pauk; 10-18-2012 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    He started mostly point-guard... but he was a la Magic/Lebron (that could play up to 4 positions, at his time his length/size/power was equal to plenty PFs)
    Let's be clear and realistic here, his size and power was nearly that of a typical SF's of that era, not at all adequate (especially in length) to match up to PF's... no way in hell Oscar could ever hope to match up in size to guys like Nate Thurmond, Luke Jackson, Rudy LaRusso, Jerry Lucas, Bob Pettit.... etc - those guys are huge in comparison. Maybe he could bump a skinny guy like Satch Sanders around a few times but even that I doubt he could do much considering Satch's defensive tools like 7-2 armspan.

220lbs on a solid frame is Oscars most imposing asset, but he's still only about 6-4.5 w/o shoes which is not even remotely close to the typical height of a PF back then, and would be on the shorter end of any SF's of that era. I'm not aware that he was equipped with any form of noteworthy wingspan relative to his height ala Jerry West. His gift was his wide powerful frame but just so history isn't skewed from what I see this is only relative to other guards, he was like a 2/3rds scale Lebron but it was still too small to exploit and consistently bang down low with players bigger than SF's. He was not the specimen of his era that one would consider comparable to Lebron or Magic - players in his era weren't any smaller in height than this or Magics era and they weren't any skinnier than they were in Magics era. So he was almost the mismatch Lebron/Magic brought, but not-quite. I'd say he was trouble from 1-3 but not 4
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 10-18-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Just Guard. In this era, he is a PG. Like West though, he could play both positions.

The Big O: my life, my times, my game - Oscar Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW

What games have you watched?

I've watched (all multiple times):

1962 NBA all-star game (nearly complete)

1966 G4 NBA playoffs vs Celtics (2nd half)
    1966 G5 NBA playoffs vs Celtics (in documentary form, game nearly complete)

1969 NBA All-star game (complete)

1971 Bucks vs Knicks playoff game

1972 NBA All-star game
    1972 Bucks vs Lakers regular season game
    1972 NBA vs ABA all-star game

and if I compressed all my documentaries and partial game highlights of the league into strictly Oscar plays / highlights I have an additional 30+ minutes of highlights of strictly him from every single season and type of game imaginable. In fact not only do I watch his games and highlights, I take the time to extract them in my video editor, which means I get even more exposure and focus on his plays than if I was just to ever casually watch a game - I literally see everything he's doing throughout games.

So what do I deduce from watching it all?:

He brings the ball up the court and has it in his hands deciding it's fate more than every single one of those players u just mentioned... His stats even reflect this in his higher assists count (in an era where u weren't given the assist when a player dribbled after receiving a pass)... He calls himself a point guard, not(ever) a forward... and others who played with him also have never once called him a forward and always call him a guard and sometimes more specifically, a point guard, not ever a shooting guard... Find a player he played against who calls him a forward or a shooting guard. Find me a game where he isn't bringing the ball up the court virtually every play that he's on the floor and determining everywhere that ball goes. The ball doesn't go anywhere without his permission, he is a point guard not a forward. Not a shooting guard. Go back to watching Euroleague games little lamb, you've strayed too far from your herd of Euro-sheep.

Do I really have to explain to you what a point guard is?

Let's be clear and realistic here, his size and power was nearly that of a typical SF's of that era, not at all adequate (especially in length) to match up to PF's... no way in hell Oscar could ever hope to match up in size to guys like Nate Thurmond, Luke Jackson, Rudy LaRusso, Jerry Lucas, Bob Pettit.... etc - those guys are huge in comparison. Maybe he could bump a skinny guy like Satch Sanders around a few times but even that I doubt he could do much considering Satch's defensive tools like 7-2 armspan.

220lbs on a solid frame is Oscars most imposing asset, but he's still only about 6-4.5 w/o shoes which is not even remotely close to the typical height of a PF back then, and would be on the shorter end of any SF's of that era. I'm not aware that he was equipped with any form of noteworthy wingspan relative to his height ala Jerry West. His gift was his wide powerful frame but just so history isn't skewed from what I see this is only relative to other guards, he was like a 2/3rds scale Lebron but it was still too small to exploit and consistently bang down low with players bigger than SF's. He was not the specimen of his era that one would consider comparable to Lebron or Magic - players in his era weren't any smaller in height than this or Magics era and they weren't any skinnier than they were in Magics era.
    The up to 20 rebounds a game averaging Elgin Baylor says hello from that era (Oscar had identical size and was even more athletic)...

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    It's true that positions weren't defined the same way, but if you defined them in today's terms then he'd have played both positions.

But for what it's worth, in most of his games that I've seen, he's playing point guard as much as Magic Johnson did, and by that, I mean he's handling the ball and setting up his teammates, but not necessarily always matched up with the other team's smaller guard, or lead guard. And lets be honest, Magic almost never matched up with actual point guards, so if Oscar isn't a point guard then Magic isn't.

By the way, Oscar has described himself as a point guard.

What's interesting is that Jerry West is always called a shooting guard, but there were seasons when his role was clearly as his team's point guard, in addition to being a scorer much like Oscar. West even played with a hall of fame shooting guard.
    Oscar was much more of a point guard than he was a shooting guard, much moreso than Jerry West ever was - though West did play what would be considered the point at various points in his career. I don't think West was as capable of anchoring an offense to the same extent and in the same manner as Ocscar - though he was better defensively.

To those who have never seen Oscar play, it's hard to really compare him to any other player before or since, but I think you're somewhat on point with the Magic comparison in that their halfcourt games show signs of similarity. His halfcourt game was somewhat akin to Magic's halfcourt game without the flash, but equally effective. He was slower and more methodical than Magic - I don't mean that athletically or even technically - but he always seemed to make the right play no matter the situation. Much like Magic, Oscar's team offenses were always top notch - hinting at his ability to anchor a successful offensive, like Magic. Here are his team's ORtgs relative to the league average

[CODE]
    1960 - +0.3(4th)
    -------------------- Oscar joins
    1961: +4.0(1st)
    1962: +5.4(1st)
    1963: +4.0(1st)
    1964: +4.7(1st)
    1965: +4.8(1st)
    1966: +2.8(3rd)
    1967: +2.5(2nd)
    1968: +4.9(2nd)
    1969: +5.2(1st)
    1970: -1.2(9th)
    1971: +7.4(1st)
    1972: +5.2(2nd)
    1973: +2.2(4th)
    1974: +3.5(1st)
    ------------------- Oscar retires
    1975: +0.3(8th)
    [/CODE]

As an offensive player, I have him 5th behind Magic, Larry, Michael, and Nash, and that was due in larger part to his on court abilities as a point guard - more-so than it was on his ability to score.

Something I've always noticed is that those who have actually seen him play tend to view him in higher regard than those who simply base their opinion on his legacy and statistics. That says to me that his on court impact and greatness was greater than what his statistics and accolades would lead someone to believe in hindsight.

Oscar could play several positions, but he was a point guard first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    The up to 20 rebounds a game averaging Elgin Baylor says hello (Oscar had identical size and was even more athletic)...
    Baylor is bigger than Oscar, Baylor was 236lbs at his heaviest and 212 at his lightest vs Oscar at 220 heaviest and 205 lightest, and Baylor was slightly taller than Oscar despite their identical list height.... Oscar was NOT - and I repeat - NOT more athletic than Elgin Baylor.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 10-18-2012 at 10:17 PM.

I think it was Jerry West who said back then positions weren't really defined as "shooting guards" and "point guards."

West, Robertson, Hal Greer, Sam Jones, Dave Bing, Walt Frazier, Earl Monroe, Pistol Pete, hell Calvin Murphy. Can we really define those players?

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA

Great Post

What games have you watched?

I've watched (all multiple times):

1962 NBA all-star game (nearly complete)

1966 G4 NBA playoffs vs Celtics (2nd half)
    1966 G5 NBA playoffs vs Celtics (in documentary form, game nearly complete)

1969 NBA All-star game (complete)

1971 Bucks vs Knicks playoff game

1972 NBA All-star game
    1972 Bucks vs Lakers regular season game
    1972 NBA vs ABA all-star game

and if I compressed all my documentaries and partial game highlights of the league into strictly Oscar plays / highlights I have an additional 30+ minutes of highlights of strictly him from every single season and type of game imaginable. In fact not only do I watch his games and highlights, I take the time to extract them in my video editor, which means I get even more exposure and focus on his plays than if I was just to ever casually watch a game - I literally see everything he's doing throughout games.

So what do I deduce from watching it all?:

He brings the ball up the court and has it in his hands deciding it's fate more than every single one of those players u just mentioned... His stats even reflect this in his higher assists count (in an era where u weren't given the assist when a player dribbled after receiving a pass)... He calls himself a point guard, not(ever) a forward... and others who played with him also have never once called him a forward and always call him a guard and sometimes more specifically, a point guard, not ever a shooting guard... Find a player he played against who calls him a forward or a shooting guard. Find me a game where he isn't bringing the ball up the court virtually every play that he's on the floor and determining everywhere that ball goes. The ball doesn't go anywhere without his permission, he is a point guard not a forward. Not a shooting guard. Go back to watching Euroleague games little lamb, you've strayed too far from your herd of Euro-sheep.
    Why type so many words for a troll?

Quality post from Phila. Tho I do think Robertson talks himself up a bit.

Also, Elgin Baylor was a PF? Baylor is a SF, so I don't know why comparing Robertson to Baylor makes Robertson capable of playing PF. Baylor was taller, thicker, and was a SF who could play some PF.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    Shooting guard and point forward. The talk about him being a point guard is a myth.
    What the hell are you on about? I've defended you in the past, but the above post makes you look like a moron.

Made that high school varsity squad LA Lakers's Avatar

I thought he was considered by his peers to be more like a D Wade or MJ? Very athletic 2 guard. And the man was a walking triple double... But everyone here is screaming pg so Im not gonna argue.

Made that high school varsity squad LA Lakers's Avatar

@PHILA, great stuff