Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Default Re: Natural Dreadlocks

I call my journey natural laziness. It's been more than a year since I've cut my hair.

pics

If you have straight hair is it impossible to grow dreads?

Krust Kingz

Quote Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
    lol does that offend you? I'd always feel bad suggesting that a person looks like they smoke when they don't.
    [COLOR="Navy"]It did annoy me for a while but it comes with the territory but during the time I was a big supporter of the sticky stuff [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by playtetris
    hahaha
    where's erykah badu at?
    [COLOR="Navy"]exactly...

I cut my hair off New Years 2000... It was pretty long. Actually I dont even think I had a beard or mustache since then....

When you make a decision to grow your hair i definitely think you have to do what is best for you and your life style.
    I am a man of mathematics and righteousness so it was a journey that I needed to go through. That might not be for everyone but I think as a person you will grow. My family and people I knew gave me the business because of it but I grew from it. I understood how to stand on my square and be my man do what I like no matter how many people disliked it or wasnt popular. I was that anyway for the most part but after that experience I do what I like and wear what I like.[/COLOR]
    Last edited by Rameek; 02-23-2010 at 08:15 PM.

There is one in the picture thread from November when I went to Australia. I'll see if I can take more this week. Doubt I'll keep letting it grow out much past this year as I'm leaving this place come November.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
    If you have straight hair is it impossible to grow dreads?

YES

♫♪♫

Quote Originally Posted by enayes
    That's a very ignorant comment. White people were the first to have dreadlocks. I'll admit that "making" your hair into dreads is "fronting", but if you just let nature take its course, what can be wrong with that?
    egyptians and other north africans/indians who worship shiva started growing dreads before anyone else

Quote Originally Posted by artex
    egyptians and other north africans/indians who worship shiva started growing dreads before anyone else

The first humans had dreadlocks, were talking cavemen.

YES
    Wrong. A good friend of mine has super straight hair (white girl), and her locks look better than a lot of island cats I know. It's harder than having African hair, but it is far from impossible. Besides, don't you have straight hair?

Quote Originally Posted by thejumpa
    Wrong. A good friend of mine has super straight hair (white girl), and her locks look better than a lot of island cats I know. It's harder than having African hair, but it is far from impossible. Besides, don't you have straight hair?
    My bad, I misread his post, I thought he said is it possible not impossible. And yea my hair is pretty straight but starts to get curly as I let it grow.

My bad, I misread his post, I thought he said is it possible not impossible. And yea my hair is pretty straight but starts to get curly as I let it grow.
    No worries....good luck on your locks. Let em grow and don't let your female make you cut them!

Here's some info from another forum I go on, this info is from poster "natural philosophy" :

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]What is a dreadlock?[/FONT]

dreadlocks are ropes of matted hair.

nearly every culture has had dreadlocks from the beginning of time including egyptians, celts, chinese, native americans, africans, etc. many religions have certain codes concerning dreadlocks. for example, savite hindus worship a god who has dreadlocks. sadhus separate themselves from vanity and one way of doing this is through neglecting their hair, thus producing dreadlocks. nazerite jews (and sometimes christians) make a vow not to cut their hair as described in leviticus. some interpret this as neglecting the hair also, since rejection of vanity (like the hindus) is the reason for this vow. some other groups include rastas, coptic christians, some buddhists, etc. this is a really interesting subject and i would suggest a google search if you want to know more.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]how do i get them?[/FONT]

dreadlocks aren't something you can get in a day. the only thing that will create dreadlocks is TIME. in the words of john holt, 'time is the master'. there are a few methods with which to go about growing dreadlocks.

methods and what to expect

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]neglect[/FONT]

the neglect method generally consists of washing the hair and ripping it into sections. hair will mat on its own given time. this method usually takes the longest but creates the most unique types of dreads. expect random shapes and sizes, crazy looking kinky loopy things, and a bird's nest on your head for a few months.

it usually takes a few months before your uncombed hair starts to actually look like dreadlocks. it took me about 8 months before they sectioned themselves out and at least 16 months for them to fully 'lock'. it is different for everyone, though. for some with bone straight it could take longer than those with kinky hair. this also depends on your level of activity and whether you wear a hat or not and how you sleep and how you towel-dry your hair and a bunch of different factors. eventually, however, all hair will lock on its own.

it is important to keep your hair clean, as greasy hair doesn't hold knots well.

those with especially kinky hair might end up with a huge ball of matt if they don't rip the sections apart, while others barely have to rip at all (i have ringlets, so they kind of sectioned themselves- i had to rip a few times when they started to get too big and pull on my scalp).

this method is sometimes called 'natural'. the description 'natural' does not do it justice as many consider backcombing to be a natural method. neglect is the best way of describing the method to avoid confusion.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]backcombing[/FONT]

backcombing is probably the most popular method. this involves sectioning the hair and combing it towards the scalp with a fine toothed comb. usually this takes a few hours and is painful for some people. it is easier to have a friend do it, but can be done alone with a mirror and some patience. some choose to backcomb very tightly, others choose to loosely comb the hair into sections.

this method creates puffy balls of hair that eventually tame down after a few washings and tighten up to create dreadlocks. with this method, sometimes the knots created by backcombing have to 'fall out' or undo themselves before locking back up. this usually happens in the first three months and can be pretty upsetting to those who are concerned with how 'tight' the dreadlocks look. usually with this method, a real matted appearance starts to take hold from 6 to 8 months and are usually 'locked' from 12 to 18 months. this is just an estimate, though, and doesn't apply to all hair types.

tenshi's backcombing tutorial:
    Basically, take the section of hair hold it taught about 3 or 4 inches from your scalp. Then take a flea comb or any comb that won't break after extended use with closely spaced teeth and comb the hair towards the scalp. Slowly relax your grip each time you comb until you feel one or two hairs slip and get pushed down, that's when you know you've found your grip.
    Then just keep on, moving your hand closer to the tip each time, maintaining that 3 or 4 inches from the part that's tangled. When you get to the tip go back over it from the bottom again pressing the hair tighter against the scalp. When you finish, hold the tip and rub it against your palm in a circular motion to get some tangles in it too. Palm roll the whole damned thing and I guarantee it won't "fall out". The main things are A. don't let too much hair slip each time B. make sure to hold it taught while you're doing it (this is the main thing) and C. make sure its packed down tight. Do that and you won't need rubber bands or a stocking in the shower and they won't come out.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]braid[/FONT]

this is a method i've only seen once or twice. this is very simple. if you braid the hair and then leave it alone, the new growth will come out dreaded and some parts of the braids may even lock themselves. after a few years it still looks like half dread, half braids, though. if you decide to try this method, post pics and your experiences, as it is probably the least used method.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]twist[/FONT]

this is the easiest way to lock afro and super kinky hair types. twists take a bit of maintenance but once they start to lock, only require ripping to prevent massive congos. its simple. just section and twist.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]twist n’ rip[/FONT]

although there is no 'official' definition of twist and rip dreads that i have seen, it usually consists of twisting or rubbing the hair with either the hands or some sort of material (wool is usually used), grabbing the tip, dividing it into two sections and pulling them apart to create a knot near the root. some choose to backcomb the root first, while others prefer to rub their entire head with some wool cloth before sectioning and ripping. sometimes this is done in the shower before letting the hair dry and ripping it then.

this seems to be a pretty effective method for starting the locks. faster than backcombing it seems. there is some disagreement on whether or not this method is better than backcombing. in my experience, dready timelines show progress is faster and more 'controlled' than with backcombing and you usually get to skip that puff ball stage.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]crochet[/FONT]

the crochet method is a combination of backcombing and using a tiny crochet hook to gather the hairs together. usually this method is done by loosely backcombing a section then rapidly poking a tiny crochet hook in and out of the section at every angle. this is the most abrasive method and definately causes damage to the hair follicles. some people say it causes breakage months and years down the road. others say it is fine.

this method creates instantly neat, clean looking sections. this is probably the neatest method, but at the price of doing extra damage to the hair. if you want to know more about it, do a google search or look through the forum. the jury is still out on this method and many disagree on whether it is helpful or harmful.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]combination[/FONT]

some people use a combination of these methods. experiment and post your results as well as pictures. let the entire dread community learn from your success and failure with these methods (or create your own).

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]TIME[/FONT]

this is the MOST important factor in dreadlocks. they aren't an instant thing. NO, your freshly backcombed sections aren't dreadlocks yet. NO, your two week neglect sections aren't dreadlocks yet. with any method, it takes months and years to form fully mature dreadlocks. there is no easy way to go about having dreadlocks. like i said before, TIME is the master.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]how do i take care of them?[/FONT]

wash

dirty, greasy hair won't hold knots. washing your hair regularly is strongly suggested. there are a differing opinions on how to wash your hair, though.

baking soda

some people use baking soda because it leaves the hair and scalp feeling clean and tingly. residue-free is the way to go when you have dreadlocks and this seems to be one of the best way to keep your locks residue-free.

glycerin soap

glycerin soap is another good way to reduce the residue left in your hair after washing. keep in mind, however, that there are two types of glycerin soaps, animal fat and vegetable. vegetable glyerin usually has a lathering agent called Sodium Lauryl Sulfate or Sodium Laureth Sulfate. these guys are chemical derivatives of coconut oil and often labeled as a 'natural' ingredient, or as simply coconut oils. SLS is bad for dreads as it is residuous and high amounts have shown to cause birth defects in lab animals. not that most people would be drenching their bodies and ovaries in SLS, but most dreadheads agree that it's best to stay away from SLS altogether.

Dr. Bronner’s

probably the most popular shampoo. Dr. Bronner's all-one natural hemp soap/shampoo smells good, does the job, and doesn't have all those chemicals found in most commercial soaps. all around favorite for dreadheads. can be found in most health food stores.

some find that Dr. B's leaves their hair sticky feeling. i have used Dr. B's for years, and haven't had much problems. i use the water method (described below) now because Dr. B's IS still a shampoo and does strip natural oils from the hair. i use the water method because i can go longer without my hair getting greasy.

water

a controversial method. some consider hair 'unwashed' if no shampoo is used, especially in the vanilla (straight haired) world. some dreadheads don't use soaps or shampoos at all and simply use water to wash their dreads with. this is the method i use most of the time. i only wash my hair with shampoo every few months and use water the rest of the time. i rinse my scalp for a few minutes, then scrub my scalp with my hands under running water, then rinse again. this is something you have to acclimate your hair to. ill have more info on weaning your hair off of chemical shampoos later in this post.

ACV cleanse

apple cider vinegar neutralizes the alkali build-up on the scalp and roots, helps to loosen flakey dandruff coming from the scalp, and also helps some people with excessive itching.

some people use straight ACV and others find that the tingling feeling is too intense and sometimes burns the scalp. others dilute it 2/1 (ACV/water) or 1/1. the easist way to do this is to dip the dreads and scalp in ACV and wrap with a towel turban style for a few minutes (10-20) and then rinsing for at least 5 minutes.

some people with mature dreads report dark residue coming from their locks when they do this. this is a good thing, as it eats away at residue that is trapped in the hair. it's good to do this once every two weeks or once a month and can be used as a shampoo replacement.

some people think this stuff smells rank but the smell goes away after rinsing.
    Last edited by enayes; 02-24-2010 at 01:58 AM.

Smile Re: Natural Dreadlocks

I started washing with bronner's on 3/2/10. So I will mark that as my start date. I will be back to post updates in the future.

6/13/10 is the new start date for my locks. I switched over to regular shampoo for awhile but went back to bronner's today.