Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Jeremy Lin and the ROckets played well today!

Lin is rebounding, play decent D, not turning the ball over, and shooting poorly.

He's not going to shoot this poorly all year. Remember how bad he was in the preseason? He'll be fine. His overall game is looking good.

Also, $8Million a year. To be an arguable top 15 PG in this league is very good and $8Million is a steal there.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

From what I watched from Lin, he is a pretty solid passer. He hasn't been turning over the ball as much and his ball handling skills has improved. Still sometimes a bit awkward, and I haven't seen what happens if they put pressure on.

His scoring is a bit of a problem though. It seems like sometimes he'll try to get his and can not execute properly. His shooting percentage have been terrible this year so far.

He has quick hands and good at stealing the ball. Atm, he's top 5 in steals.

There are lots to improve though. He's okay. Average. Maybe a bit above average. His FG% is pretty bad though.

He's not taking it to the hole like he used to. The reason why his shooting percentage was so high during Linsanity was the ridiculous percentage he was shooting from around the paint and just outside. He was also going to the line 8-10 times a GAME, which is ridiculous for a PG. Now he's getting there like 3 or 4 times. I think his TOs are down due to him playing a bit more tentative. I hope he's just trying to figure out what works and isn't over thinking things because he is the kind of guy that thrives on the flow and feel of the game...it's when he starts questioning himself is when he starts to struggle.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    Lin is rebounding, play decent D, not turning the ball over, and shooting poorly.

He's not going to shoot this poorly all year. Remember how bad he was in the preseason? He'll be fine. His overall game is looking good.

Also, $8Million a year. To be an arguable top 15 PG in this league is very good and $8Million is a steal there.
    You seem to actually understand that jeremy lin is a goodplayer, unlike ****** milwad

Dunking on everybody in the park Phantom_Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe
    He's not taking it to the hole like he used to. The reason why his shooting percentage was so high during Linsanity was the ridiculous percentage he was shooting from around the paint and just outside. He was also going to the line 8-10 times a GAME, which is ridiculous for a PG. Now he's getting there like 3 or 4 times. I think his TOs are down due to him playing a bit more tentative. I hope he's just trying to figure out what works and isn't over thinking things because he is the kind of guy that thrives on the flow and feel of the game...it's when he starts questioning himself is when he starts to struggle.
    TBH, the people straight bashing him obviously didn't watch the game and are taking things out of context lol.

Somehow, Jermey playing "well" was translated to, "Jeremy is playing like an all-star, living up to his contract, way better than Felton, top 5 guard in the league" for these guys. Of course he's not any of those yet, no one said he was.

Anyway to your post, there are several things not working in his favor aside from the chemistry issues and him learning a new system:

-No athletic big to run pick & roll with

-The Rockets shooting a horrible 28% from 3's, while taking the most in the league, allowing the opp. D to sag into the paint preventing driving lanes(Detroit played some zone and really shut them down for awhile). This is why their D is so important, allowing them to get TO's and run.

-The offense was running through Harden in the 2 losses, with Lin basically bringing the ball up and spotting up, or trying to create something in the end. That started to change though in the Pistons game, we'll see if it lasts.

When the team chemistry and shooting improves, I suspect we'll start seeing steadier numbers from Lin. It will be interesting to see if they get an athletic big to run P&R with through a trade.

Saw a basketball once

We all know Lin is a liability on defense. Just to provide some evidence to support that theory here are stats from Synergy for some Rockets' players this season.

Overall PPP(Point per possession allowed):

Lin: 0.59(ranked 15 in NBA for all positions so far)
    Harden: 1.03(ranked 182)
    Parsons: 0.77(ranked 69)
    Patterson: 0.89(ranked 125)
    Asik: 0.68(ranked 38)
    Douglas: 0.97(ranked 155)

Last season.

Lin: 0.81(ranked 128)
    Harden: 0.85(ranked 218)
    Parsons:0.83(ranked 166)
    Patterson: 0.89(ranked 302)
    Asik:0.71(ranked 24)
    Douglas: 0.87(ranked 257)

It's early in the season, so hopefully Lin can work hard and improve his defense.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Boomerang
    Yes you are. How can you prove the only reason he got his contract is because he's Asian?

You can't. There's no stats to pull up, there's no quotes, NOTHING.

That is entirely your speculation.

And if I say, the only reason Kwame Brown got his contract is because he's black, I'm racist right? Same principles goes for you.

And STFU stop acting like a Rockets fan, just because you put it on as your avatar, you're not. You're just using the opportunity to bash Lin, and using that rockets avatar as a shield. You're no rocket fan, get the f out of here.
    It's obvious he got signed for marketing a la China, if Jeremy Lin was another black player he wouldn't have got the contract he got. Look at Sessions, he had a crazy Linsanity-like run in Milwuakee, he got 16 millions over 4 years for his amazing games.

And haha, you've been on this site for like 5 months.. I've been repping the Rockets since 2007 on this site.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Klazart
    We all know Lin is a liability on defense. Just to provide some evidence to support that theory here are stats from Synergy for some Rockets' players this season.

Overall PPP(Point per possession allowed):

Lin: 0.59(ranked 15 in NBA for all positions so far)
    Harden: 1.03(ranked 182)
    Parsons: 0.77(ranked 69)
    Patterson: 0.89(ranked 125)
    Asik: 0.68(ranked 38)
    Douglas: 0.97(ranked 155)

Last season.

Lin: 0.81(ranked 128)
    Harden: 0.85(ranked 218)
    Parsons:0.83(ranked 166)
    Patterson: 0.89(ranked 302)
    Asik:0.71(ranked 24)
    Douglas: 0.87(ranked 257)

It's early in the season, so hopefully Lin can work hard and improve his defense.
    That's a bogus stat, based on those numbers Lin is a better defender than Asik..

Then you need to realize that point guards are the one's who shoot with the lowest FG% a and Lin hasn't faced any great scoring point guards yet. Wait 'til he faces CP3, DWill, Westbrook, Curry, Parker, Irving, Wall, Rondo, Rose etc..

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by blood yes
    You seem to actually understand that jeremy lin is a goodplayer, unlike ****** milwad
    You seem mad, LOF:er with no doubt..

LIN FAN ONLY!

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    It's obvious he got signed for marketing a la China, if Jeremy Lin was another black player he wouldn't have got the contract he got. Look at Sessions, he had a crazy Linsanity-like run in Milwuakee, he got 16 millions over 4 years for his amazing games.

And haha, you've been on this site for like 5 months.. I've been repping the Rockets since 2007 on this site.
    Lin is being paid $8 million/year. That salary is comparable to average PGs in the league.

I think if you compare his stats so far this season to other PGs who are being paid the same you will find that he is a bargain at this price.

This is despite the fact that the coaches have been restricting his touches and playing him as a 3 point spot up shooter (which he isn't) and asking him to camp in the corner while they get Harden to try and take on the PG duties, a strategy that if you are actually WATCHING the rockets play as completely backfired for all concerned and negatively impacted not just Lin's play but also Harden's and the team's offensive chemistry.

Saw a basketball once

That's a bogus stat, based on those numbers Lin is a better defender than Asik..

Then you need to realize that point guards are the one's who shoot with the lowest FG% a and Lin hasn't faced any great scoring point guards yet. Wait 'til he faces CP3, DWill, Westbrook, Curry, Parker, Irving, Wall, Rondo, Rose etc..
    Of course he isn't a better defender than Asik. But the stat is not bogus either.

The way I see it, defense is a team game. And I think it works both ways.

His team mates help D on the PnR are probably contributing to his numbers. For example with Asik's blocking and help D from the likes of Morris/Patterson.

On the other hand, when Lin get's picked and there is no help D and the opposing PG gets to the rim, his detractors want to put all the blame on him, when again, it's a team issue.

I think Lin is an above average defender and that is what this stat shows. He certainly is not a defensive liability as some would like to believe.

As for the opposition. Well I think he's faced some decent players, but not the best yet. Then again, Harden's numbers are worse and it's not like he's been facing Kobe or other offensive demons.

The only place Lin has really looked vulnerable on defense from watching the games is when he gambles on help D and leaves his man with a relatively uncontested 3. But this might very well be a coaching thing as McHale might prefer contesting in the paint and letting people who aren't known 3 point snipers jack up 3s. It's certainly the higher percentage play.
    Last edited by Klazart; 11-11-2012 at 08:13 PM.

NBA rookie of the year

Lin is being paid $8 million/year. That salary is comparable to average PGs in the league.

I think if you compare his stats so far this season to other PGs who are being paid the same you will find that he is a bargain at this price.
    He's not a bargain at all;

Westbrook: 13.6 million
    Parker: 12.5 million
    Lowry: 5.7 million
    Dragic: 7.5 million
    Collison: 2.3 million
    Mo Williams: 8.5 million
    Nash: 8.7 million
    George Hill: 8 million
    John Wall: 5.9 million
    Curry: 3.9 million
    Felton: 3.4 million
    Andre Miller: 5 million
    Lawson: 10 million (real salary over 5 years)
    Barea: 4.4 million
    Teague: 2.4 million
    Conley: 7.3 million
    Chalmers: 4 million

How is Jeremy Lin a bargain...

NBA rookie of the year

Of course he isn't a better defender than Asik. But the stat is not bogus either.

The way I see it, defense is a team game. And I think it works both ways.

His team mates help D on the PnR are probably contributing to his numbers. For example with Asik's blocking and help D from the likes of Morris/Patterson.

On the other hand, when Lin get's picked and there is no help D and the opposing PG gets to the rim, his detractors want to put all the blame on him, when again, it's a team issue.

I think Lin is an above average defender and that is what this stat shows. He certainly is not a defensive liability as some would like to believe.

As for the opposition. Well I think he's faced some decent players, but not the best yet. Then again, Harden's numbers are worse and it's not like he's been facing Kobe or other offensive demons.

The only place Lin has really looked vulnerable on defense from watching the games is when he gambles on help D and leaves his man with a relatively uncontested 3. But this might very well be a coaching thing as McHale might prefer contesting in the paint and letting people who aren't known 3 point snipers jack up 3s. It's certainly the higher percentage play.
    He is not an above average defender, not even close. I'm not saying he is this major liability but the guy gets burned alot and his steals are sure thing a nice feature in his game but he takes alot of risks as well and he has left his guys pretty open at times. He's a mediocre defender and mediocre on offense.

Saw a basketball once

He is not an above average defender, not even close. I'm not saying he is this major liability but the guy gets burned alot and his steals are sure thing a nice feature in his game but he takes alot of risks as well and he has left his guys pretty open at times. He's a mediocre defender and mediocre on offense.
    Well I'll respectfully disagree.

He doesn't get burned a lot. If you want to look very superficially at box scores you might be able to make such a claim, however if you look at the individual plays in context it's clear that he does a good job on defense.

If you watch the rockets play this season, it's clear that Harden is far weaker on defense, yet no one is calling him a defensive liability. To be honest, I don't blame him because he's new to the role, the team is still gelling and the coaches are asking far too much from him.

As for Lin's offense, that's another debate entirely, and another area where I suspect you are ignoring context and actual gameplay for superficial box scores to support your confirmation bias.

NBA rookie of the year

Well I'll respectfully disagree.

He doesn't get burned a lot. If you want to look very superficially at box scores you might be able to make such a claim, however if you look at the individual plays in context it's clear that he does a good job on defense.

If you watch the rockets play this season, it's clear that Harden is far weaker on defense, yet no one is calling him a defensive liability. To be honest, I don't blame him because he's new to the role, the team is still gelling and the coaches are asking far too much from him.

As for Lin's offense, that's another debate entirely, and another area where I suspect you are ignoring context and actual gameplay for superficial box scores to support your confirmation bias.
    Lets agree that we disagree.

Just so you know, I have no interest in seeing Lin fail. I am a Rocket fan and Lin was still in HS when I started to follow the Rockets, I only wish him success because a great Lin will give the Rockets a much greater chance to become great as well.

I'm not happy at all this far though, they gave up one great point guard in Dragic for a completely unproven Lin and this far I am not impressed at all and there are several things with his game that I'm very skeptical towards.

But hey, if he proves me wrong I'm the first one to tell so and I'm the first one to give him recognition for it and it's my only wish as a Rocket fan.