Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Default OT: Pirates of Carribbean...huh?

Why does Pirates of Carribbean do so freakin' well at the box office? This sequel is probably going to be one of the highest grossing movies of all time. It has an outside chance of beating Titanic for THE #1 GROSSING movie of all time.

I simply don't get it. Nothing about the movie looks appealing to me....

Can anyone explain why?
    Last edited by bagelred; 07-19-2006 at 12:35 PM.

Football In The Groin funkylikemonkey's Avatar

The first one was a great movie that people of any age can enjoy so pretty much everyone went to see it. People expected the same type of entertainment from the sequel so they all went do see it. It was horrible, I almost fell asleep. I'm also pretty sure that the 3rd will do great also because people will forget the 2nd and hope it was like the 1st.

Possibly because there isn't a whole lot else out there worth seeing right now, and that the first one was good.

Good college starter TMacsOneGoodEye's Avatar

Yeah, I can't believe he type of business this movie is doing right now. Never expected that. NEVER. I thought Supermad would be the big summer film, but that movies kind of crashing and pirates is soaring. I haven't seen it and don't really have any desire to. Maybe when it comes out on video and I'm in the mood for some fluff it might be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
    Yeah, I can't believe he type of business this movie is doing right now. Never expected that. NEVER. I thought Supermad would be the big summer film, but that movies kind of crashing and pirates is soaring. I haven't seen it and don't really have any desire to. Maybe when it comes out on video and I'm in the mood for some fluff it might be fun.
    Pirates is destroying Superman. I can't even believe that....

Football In The Groin funkylikemonkey's Avatar

There was barely any publicity for Superman. I just found out the release day a week or two before it was released. I also saw no TV spots.

Good college starter TMacsOneGoodEye's Avatar

I haven't seen either. I'm between jobs right now so I don't have any money to go to the movies. I actually never go to the movies. The last movie I saw in the theater was either Bad Education or Life Aquatic. It's been years. I have a nice surround sound system so I watch movies at home alot.

I do wanna see Superman, though.

I usually hit open layups SpLiTViZiOnZ's Avatar

Supposedly this is no surprise to the studio... before they released the movie the tracking numbers and forecasts showed that it would gross a ridiculous amount. Superman is a victim of the "been too long since the franchise was hot" syndrome.. not to mention the fact that the overall concesus word of mouth is that "it is good but was not great".

Local High School Star JohnnyBravo5's Avatar

Apparently because people love stories about quasi-gay pirates

I actually really enjoyed the second one...I'm not sure why. The story was fun and exciting, the acting was decent (Depp was good, and so were many of the supporting actors), good action sequences, and some funny parts made the movie seem shorter than it really was (over 2 hours long I think).

EDIT: Oh, and TMOGE, Superman Returns wasn't anything special. I liked Pirates 2 way more at least..

crawford, mashburn

none of yall saw the TNT-inspired ads with shaq for superman? similar to the ones that run during the playoffs where they mix highlights with clips from an upcoming movie.

Dunking on everybody in the park Spike Spiegel's Avatar

Superman had PLENTY of publicity, at least around here.

I saw both Superman and Pirates 2.

Personally, I was a bit disappointed with Superman. I enjoyed Pirates 2.

Banned

Pirates 1 was a great movie. The whole franchise is unique in that it appeals to absolutely everyone. Who can't find something to like about Pirates 1? Haven't seen 2 yet though.

Who doesn't love pirates?

Former 76er co-owner Pat Croce does!

http://www.southflorida.com/travel/s...,7471101.story