Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Zeller to Cleveland for 24th, 33rd,34th

regarding the character issues, grant said that they did more background research on waiters than on any prospect before.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LBJMVP
    i knew we were gonna trade, and after my initial reaction i started to calm down and think about it and i really like the waiters pick.

and knowing that zeller is a true 7 footer with a pretty good shot and can take contact down below and score i'm starting to like it more.

defintely a better pick than fab melo...and most likely a top 2-3 maybe even the best.

if drummond and meyers leonard both bust.

is henson considered a center? it says power forward but i dont know.

i believer zeller will be better than hansborough though. so we will see.
    henson is in no way a 5. dude is in the same weight class as tay prince. zeller was a solid pick. leonard and drummond will probably both turn out better, but thats a big if.

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    regarding the character issues, grant said that they did more background research on waiters than on any prospect before.

yeah i looked into that, but it seems most of that was from his freshman year...

that is why waiters said "he came in a boy and left a man."

"A number of NBA scouts who I really respect have been telling me for more than a month that the real sleeper in this draft is Syracuse sophomore Dion Waiters," wrote ESPN.com's Chad Ford, who predicts Waiters will be taken with the eighth pick. "One GM went even further. 'There are really only two potential superstars in this draft. One is a sure thing

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    henson is in no way a 5. dude is in the same weight class as tay prince. zeller was a solid pick. leonard and drummond will probably both turn out better, but thats a big if.

i always thought henson was like 6'11

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

i always thought henson was like 6'11
    hes 6'9"without shoes (always a dumb stat). but hes also 215 and seems to have one of those skinny frames. Hell, KG is close to 250 and looks skinny as shit.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

I look at it like this...

The NBA is not the NFL. It doesn't mean that you got the better end of the deal if you get three mediocre players instead of one solid player. Obviously, we will have to see how these guys all pan out before we call this trade a win or a loss, but since I would rather have Zeller than anyone that was left on the board at 24, it was a good trade to me. That is without getting into the additional assets that Boozehound has noted.

In the NFL, quantity over quality is sometimes the way to go, because you have 22 starters in a single game and guys constantly coming and going on and off the field. You are better off being very solid from 1-53 on your roster (like New England always is) than having a couple of superstars and not much else.

The NBA is the absolute opposite. Good players win games.... And I do think Zeller will be a nice 5. It isn't like we are in the David Robinson, Dream, Ewing, Shaq era when there were a lot of elite centers. In today's game, if you have a pretty good center, it is usually better than whatever your opponent is trotting out there in the middle.... Lots of 4s posing as 5s. It is nice to have a legitimate young big man on the roster.

I will also note that, according to the Cavs, Zeller was in their Top 10 in this draft. That isn't a huge stretch, either, because as the college basketball tournament was happening, Zeller was projected to be a middle lottery pick. His stock slipped for whatever reason during the combine/workout portion of the offseason, but I will happily take him at 17 under these circumstances.

Hey.... I'm not off the wall excited right now, because I had my heart set on one of Beal or MKG, but it wasn't in the cards to get one of those guys. Michael Jordan really f#cked us by going against what literally everyone was projecting and picking MKG at No. 2. The moment his name was announced, I knew that Waiters was probably going to be the choice.

Pretty obvious that the Cavs, like me, were not high at all on Harrison Barnes... And the risk outweighed the reward on Drummond.

We had to take what was the best upside option with the least amount of "bust potential" and that was Waiters.

I'm OK with this draft. The things that really upset me -- not getting MKG or Beal -- were not something that we could control. Under the circumstances, I can live with Waiters/Zeller.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    I look at it like this...

The NBA is not the NFL. It doesn't mean that you got the better end of the deal if you get three mediocre players instead of one solid player. Obviously, we will have to see how these guys all pan out before we call this trade a win or a loss, but since I would rather have Zeller than anyone that was left on the board at 24, it was a good trade to me. That is without getting into the additional assets that Boozehound has noted.

In the NFL, quantity over quality is sometimes the way to go, because you have 22 starters in a single game and guys constantly coming and going on and off the field. You are better off being very solid from 1-53 on your roster (like New England always is) than having a couple of superstars and not much else.

The NBA is the absolute opposite. Good players win games.... And I do think Zeller will be a nice 5. It isn't like we are in the David Robinson, Dream, Ewing, Shaq era when there were a lot of elite centers. In today's game, if you have a pretty good center, it is usually better than whatever your opponent is trotting out there in the middle.... Lots of 4s posing as 5s. It is nice to have a legitimate young big man on the roster.

I will also note that, according to the Cavs, Zeller was in their Top 10 in this draft. That isn't a huge stretch, either, because as the college basketball tournament was happening, Zeller was projected to be a middle lottery pick. His stock slipped for whatever reason during the combine/workout portion of the offseason, but I will happily take him at 17 under these circumstances.

Hey.... I'm not off the wall excited right now, because I had my heart set on one of Beal or MKG, but it wasn't in the cards to get one of those guys. Michael Jordan really f#cked us by going against what literally everyone was projecting and picking MKG at No. 2. The moment his name was announced, I knew that Waiters was probably going to be the choice.

Pretty obvious that the Cavs, like me, were not high at all on Harrison Barnes... And the risk outweighed the reward on Drummond.

We had to take what was the best upside option with the least amount of "bust potential" and that was Waiters.

I'm OK with this draft. The things that really upset me -- not getting MKG or Beal -- were not something that we could control. Under the circumstances, I can live with Waiters/Zeller.
    we do have a really good frontcourt now.

thompson could be very good.

varajoe is the most underrated PF in the NBA in my opinion and now we have legit 7 footer that will allow the other two players i named to play their true posistions.

i also had an inkling it was gonna be waiters the moment the MKG's name was called. very surprsing pick by charlotte in my opinion... i knew we weren't taking t-rob so it was either barnes or waiters.

still think that drummond could be a little better than deandre jordan.

take a look at the stats from the kansas vs UNC tournament game.

robinson didnt exactly murder zeller.

6 more points and 3 more rebounds but zeller had 4 more blocks. plus throw in the fact that zeller didnt have their starting point guard and the little white kid was getting killed out there and zeller maybe outplays him.

zeller now has a great point guard to and a great slasher to help get him the ball.

kyrie irving
    dion waiters
    alonzo gee
    tristan thompson
    tyler zeller

average age = 22 year's old!!!

young and full of of potential.
    people underrating alonzo gee

11//5 in second season in the nba + throw in that he is an awesome defender!

Banned

Why are people so low on Zeller. He's incredibly skilled, is fairly athletic for a big guy, can run the floor, is a solid defender and a good rebounder. He's not going to be a dominant post presence by any means but he's established andhas a high floor. A knack on him is that he's a bit stubby and doesn't have the IT facotr but at this point in the draft, you're looking for guys to fill a role.

NBA is all about quality, not quantity as someone said. Zeller's already a better player than Thompson. This whole drafting on potential thing is incredibly overrated, especially when you have established superstars. With Zeller, you know what you got, with the chance of improving. Guys like Drummond with no foundation are exremely likely to be complete busts. Sometimes it's just smarter to play a bit conservatively.

Guarantee that he will be better than Leonard.

i also had an inkling it was gonna be waiters the moment the MKG's name was called. very surprsing pick by charlotte in my opinion... i knew we weren't taking t-rob so it was either barnes or waiters.
    I said to my brother the moment that the pick was made by Charlotte that we were going to end up with Waiters. Cavs were never high on Barnes. That was all a smokescreen. Waiters was always the fall-back plan if those two were off the board, imo.

I'm pretty surprised the Bobcats went with MKG. I would have loved him on our team, but we already have our future superstar in place. MKG is an elite complimentary piece, but going No. 2 to a team with nothing, he will be expected to be a franchise player and I don't think that is the kind of player he is.

As much as I love MKG, I don't like that pick for Charlotte. They may be even worse next year than they were this past season... and they were arguably the worst team ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop_Cat
    Why are people so low on Zeller. He's incredibly skilled, is fairly athletic for a big guy, can run the floor, is a solid defender and a good rebounder. He's not going to be a dominant post presence by any means but he's established andhas a high floor. A knack on him is that he's a bit stubby and doesn't have the IT facotr but at this point in the draft, you're looking for guys to fill a role.

NBA is all about quality, not quantity as someone said. Zeller's already a better player than Thompson. This whole drafting on potential thing is incredibly overrated, especially when you have established superstars. With Zeller, you know what you got, with the chance of improving. Guys like Drummond with no foundation are exremely likely to be complete busts. Sometimes it's just smarter to play a bit conservatively.

Guarantee that he will be better than Leonard.
    if zeller can put up zydrunas number than i will extremely pleased! (15/8)

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop_Cat
    Why are people so low on Zeller.
    I don't get it either. In the 7-10 range that he was mocked at during the college basketball season? Maybe that would have been a reach. At 17? And really giving up just 33 and 34 to acquire him? I'll take that every day of the week.

Good trade for the Cavs.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    I don't get it either. In the 7-10 range that he was mocked at during the college basketball season? Maybe that would have been a reach. At 17? And really giving up just 33 and 34 to acquire him? I'll take that every day of the week.

Good trade for the Cavs.
    Agreed. People are making it seem like Dallas totally ripped off Cleveland. It was a damn good trade for the Cavs. What the hell is the point of a "talented" guy if he can't produce. Even without the health problems, i wouldnMt have been surprised if a guy like PJones plummetted. All the talent in the world doesn't mean anything if you have zero heart, work ethic, and drive.