Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast
    Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: Basketball Diary

Played to games of 4 on 4 last night the teams I was on lost both games first game was lost because my older brother could not hit a shot all day I did not really play offense did not have much energy so I used that for defense, although I did have a nice fastbreak lay in with my left hand and I am right handed and if we played FT it would have been a and one, but the first game was just bad, and the second game me and my brother got these two kids on our team that we are sure only play one on one most of the time, and they put no effort on the defensive and shot jacked on the offensive and almost never passed, we lost because they didn't grab a rebound the right way and the other team was able to steal it from them, but we had been down like 3 to 12 lost 15 to 14 because me and my brothers defense stopped them from scoring those other kids hardly did anything one of them was walking over and talking to the other leaving his man wide open. But it was fun two games of full court so I can't complain much, I just want to join a league so I can play against people who bring 100% percent every game.

Learning to shoot layups

Also when ever I went and drove in and jumped for the lay in it felt like I could dunk it and I was getting really high up there.

National High School Star

Morning ISH fam,

Had our last game of grading yesterday, playing a team a div above us.
    I'm trying to get into my teams head to pass & cut, we quite often have possessions of 1 pass, then drive/shoot.
    I am taking very few shots as I bring the ball up and then I pass. I rarely get it back. The only time I get a shot is when I take it straight away, which I feel really selfish doing.

We lost the game by 15 odd points, I tried to create, but with no one cutting, floor spacing was very poor. Also, our bench guard when his on, loves getting in your way. I aimed to learn from this game, and tried to keep the team positive. My handle was also feeling a bit looser than normal today which led to a few easy turnovers.

We played it out hard and finished the game off, I also recorded a couple of blocks. Our starting PF is out with a "clicking knee" which is really annoying, I play almost every game with sore/aching knees. I think he is just being soft, But I'm not calling him out on it.

Our team captain has informed me to recruit a replacement for him, I have a guy who I'll ask, same height as the injured PF but plays a lot bigger & stronger, loves blocks and can finish inside. Our team is missing a tall finisher inside.

Our other forward returns to action next Tuesday when he returns from holidays in the Philippines. Our C has been next to useless for this season, he sprained his ankle quite badly last season we played (1 year ago) and has never truly recovered from it.

So season officially starts next week, it will be good to get settled in our div, and play some even competition. Got a session at the court tonight with my bro, going to try teach him some more ball movement and floor spacing.
    Also want to try get some more running involved to try and get some fitness back, been really poor with exercise as of late.

Until next week, laters

Decent playground baller

anyone else notice that being athletic is a very important part of being a good basketball player? i've been playing pickup recently, and i always run with the same group of guys. we practice our skills minimally, but we regularly hit the weights and are strong and fast. all of us can dunk(i can only dunk off an oop)

well anyway, we always play against average joes that practice their skills like crazy. they're a lot better then us at ball skills, but when it comes to game time they can't even compete with us.

NBA Superstar

Caught a game at my former high school last Friday. They had an 18 point second half lead. Their opponent whittled the lead down to 9 with three minutes left in the fourth quarter. Then a player from my alma mater fouled a guy on the shot, pushed another player (twice), was T'd up, talked trash to an official, was given numerous chances to walk away, continued talking, then was T'd up again and ejected.

As a result of that mess, the opposition made six consecutive free throws, retained possession and came extremely close to tying the ballgame up on a quick hitting triple try that rimmed in and out. Would have been the first nine point possession I'd ever witnessed in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Underballer
    anyone else notice that being athletic is a very important part of being a good basketball player? i've been playing pickup recently, and i always run with the same group of guys. we practice our skills minimally, but we regularly hit the weights and are strong and fast. all of us can dunk(i can only dunk off an oop)

well anyway, we always play against average joes that practice their skills like crazy. they're a lot better then us at ball skills, but when it comes to game time they can't even compete with us.
    Not true, I watched a game of old filo ballers take it to this young athletic black team. The filo dudes lost in the end due to stamina. But to say they couldn't hang would be a lie.

Being athletic is a major advantage though, i'll give you that. But when your older and your athleticism fades, that average joe who practiced proper fundamentals and drills will be 10 x better. See Tim Duncan.

Went to my boys college over the weekend to chill and whatever. Played ball Saturday. Dudes have that stupid "everything is a one rule" at his college courts. Whatever. I'm playing with four of my friends, one doesn't play ball, at all. Two can't shoot but can rebound decent and the other is a stand in the corner and hit the occasional open 3 type of player. Going against a solid team with one real good kid.

We losing 11-7. Game to 12. I already had like 5 of our 7 points. I hit a 3, counts as a one Hit another 3. 11-9. Friend gets a steal and hits a layup. 11-10. I pull up and hit once again a 3. 11-11. We get a huge stop, I am in complete ****ing god mode (so I think) pull up from like 4 feet behind the 3 line and...brick it . Thankfully we got another stop and I drove in for a layup and we won. I love being in the zone, amazing feeling.

Just practicing my mid range jumpers. Gonna play 5 on 5 games this coming Saturday.

NBA Superstar

My brother played Ypsilanti Community again on Friday. The first time around, Ypsi was #3 in the state and my bro's squad only lost by seven (actually came down to the last few minutes).

This time around, Ypsi was only #7 in the state, but had grown into a seemingly unstoppable beast since their first meeting. They beat the 17th ranked team in the state by 47 a week ago. And this past Friday, they beat my brother's team (21st in the state) by 46. It was hard to even fault my brother's team. Ypsi played some of the best defense I've ever seen in person on a high school level. But man, it was ugly for our guys.

The kind of cool thing was that University of Michigan's head coach John Beilein was in attendance. I mean, sure, our school's only six miles away from campus and he most definitely wasn't there to watch my brother's team (Ypsi features Jaylen Johnson, committed to Louisville, and a sophomore guard named Corey Allen of whom Beilein was likely there to scout) but it was neat nonetheless.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

finished a 1 day tournament yesterday. 2 groups of 5 teams, finished 3-1, advanced into playoffs lost in semis, and won next game for the bronze.

I played alright, but my teammates sucked. They were not passing me the ball enough, as I was knocking down 3s at good rate, but 2 so called leaders played no head run and gun and finishing those at low rate. Other guy on my team, a PG, was good, and played smart ball.last dude was irrelevant.

It was 6 games of 2 halfs of 8 mins with time stopping. We had no subs so I was dead in the end.

Cool thread, just bookmarking it for later.

I'm 24 and I've played since I was 10. I'm about 6'6'' and 190, I play anything from the 2-4 positions and my strengths are being both versatile/skilled offensively and very quick/mobile for my size. I play like a guard, but I'm usually just as tall as centers. My weaknesses are my defense, having a bad vertical leap and a lack of strength. The last two cause me to be a weak rebounder for my size.

Been out since september with a broken bone in my hand. Gonna start playing/practicing again this week. So excited reading your posts.

Gonna chip in with my own posts later if the thread is still alive

Saw a basketball once

How many days in a row can you guys play without feeling it all week? Went 3 days in a row for the holidays and legs are feeling like gelatin.

Quote Originally Posted by LLOYDBFREE
    How many days in a row can you guys play without feeling it all week? Went 3 days in a row for the holidays and legs are feeling like gelatin.
    Once summer comes around, I'll play 3-4 days straight with a lot of games per day. But for the few couples weeks I'll probably be sore. Once I get my legs back, I'm good for the rest of the summer.

Hey peeps,

Had our first official game of the season last night, we had my tall mate filling in, however we had our starting PF back as well from his knee soreness. So we had 7 players which is a pretty good number. We were missing our C to the Eminem concert in Melbourne and our bench forward was MIA. It also sucks cause the scoreboard wasn't working either.

I stated the game on the bench and watched our offence struggle, no where near enough ball movement, also forcing the shot way too much. Unfortunately, I've noticed the last few weeks, my brother is a chucker. He easily takes the most shots out of our team, and misses the most cause he takes tough shots. I need to find a way to get him to change his play style and get more ball movement and communication. He needs to realize his play is hurting the team, it leads to a stagnant offence as he drives and takes every shot.
    Any ideas?

I came in with about 12 minutes left of the first half, the score was tied. I looked to slow it down as the only points they scored were off fast breaks. Telling my team to get at least 3 passes before any shots. Straight of the bat, bot my bro & our other guard took quick shots, this pissed me off cause it was clear the didn't listen. Halftime we were only up by 3, we should have been up by a lot, but we were making sloppy turnovers, lazy defence & our tall guys were missing every shot inside.

I reinforced the fact we want multiple passes each possession, get the ball moving and people flowing. Also for out starting PF to start playing better D, a guy half his height was blowing past him easily to the basket. The guy shouldn't even be able to see daylight with the length our PF had over him.

The difference my advice made in the second half was apparent, Our D was locked in, and many more passes were made each possession, we had the odd quick shot, but by this stage, we had there D scrambling hard they were running out of energy. We started opening fast breaks on them as I controlled the tempo. I finally took my first shot in the game with 15 minutes left in the 2nd half. Swish.

I ended the game 2-4fgs, a bunch of steals, a block and 10 + Assists. I missed a one on one layup as I'm still trying to use my right hand going left, I really need to practice my left. I also had a sweet lay up on a give & go with our fill in. The other shot I missed was an up & under were I was bumped but no call, didn't complain, just got back on D.

We ended up blowing them apart as the game finished and we held them to 2pts in 20 minutes. Those 2pts were off free throws when I committed the foul trying to block this guy from behind as our C was slow to rotate.
    Although we got the win, it was clear our team needs to refocus on the passing and cutting and also more focus on Defence. We can't afford to be taking halves off.

Until next time, laters fam

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by TylerOO
    Once summer comes around, I'll play 3-4 days straight with a lot of games per day. But for the few couples weeks I'll probably be sore. Once I get my legs back, I'm good for the rest of the summer.
    Yup, I think it's just about the same for me. The first three or four day run of the new year (around mid- to late March) tends to leave my body feeling worked, but it becomes habitual rather quickly.