Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Building a Team: Dwight or Alonzo Mourning?

can't believe all those teenagers
    Howard never played with a PF, that's why his rebounds numbers are high.When Shaq played without Grant, he used to average more rebounds, as well as Robinson who saw his rebounding average down when he played with Rodman and up when he left.
    Like Ewing who played his entire career with very good PF, Mourning played alongside nice rebounders who where LJ and then Brown.
    don't stay focus on numbers please...we will see how Howard will play with Gasol and the Lakers if he can maintain his scoring and go for 14 rebound per game...
    People really need to watch mid 90's basketball before dropping bullshit. as Kblaze said, Mourning came into the league with a good jumpshot and very nice move facing the basket. plus, he wasn't as lucky as Dwight meeting the legendary centers of the last 6 years.

Decent playground baller franchiez's Avatar

Dwight but Zo is the better person.

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    Yeah he was mechanical. And no, "MUCH more" athletic? Are you kidding me? You either don't think that Dwight's athletic or think that Alonzo is the most athletic player to ever play the game.

Give me a break. A bunch of youtube videos doesn't teach you about a player.
    You are probably too young to have seen 'Zo in his prime, or you didn't watch the vid of him I posted.

He was damn near as graceful as a ballerina, and was able to handle the ball and take people off the dribble.

Dwight is simply catch and dunk. He has far fewer post moves and far inferior athleticism or quickness than prime 'Zo did.

This is not debatable, and I expect any pro' bball analyst would agree with me.
    Last edited by FatComputerNerd; 08-28-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Facts Are Misleading

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    You are probably too young to have seen 'Zo in his prime, or you didn't watch the vid of him I posted.

He was damn near as graceful as a ballerina, and was able to handle the ball and take people off the dribble.

Dwight is simply catch and dunk. He has far fewer post moves and far inferior athleticism or quickness than prime 'Zo did, and this is not debatable.
    I don't think you have seen Dwight for the past 3 years.

Never mind the fact that 'Zo could also shoot the rock from the perimeter, and was also a better defender.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine
    Dwight doesn't take people off the dribble or nail 18 footers with regularity.

Never mind the fact that 'Zo could also shoot the rock from the perimeter, and was also a better defender.
    Zo can shoot 3s?

Quote Originally Posted by franchiez
    Zo can shoot 3s?
    NBA Three-Point field goal arc radius: 23 feet 9 inches. I said 18 feet. My mistake on using the word perimeter.

But yea, he actually could here and there.

He would hit 15-18 footers w/ regularity though...often after taking his defender off the dribble.

NBA Three-Point field goal arc radius: 23 feet 9 inches. I said 18 feet. My mistake on using the word perimeter.

But yea, he actually could here and there.

He would hit 15-18 footers w/ regularity though...often after taking his defender off the dribble.
    Haha, ok

I know he has improved his post game, but 'Zo had far better footwork, and higher IQ, which is a factor.

'Zo was like a mini Hakeem in the post, and with his strength and athleticism there was no stopping him.

Howard on the other hand can be stopped.

Cuba

Classic example of prior players getting overrated when compared to current players.

Dwight will get the respect eventually. He'll get his fair due being on a national and global team like the Lakers.

No, centers from the 90s are clearly better than the ones today, I don't see how it's overrating Zo to say he's better than Dwight. Their numbers are comparable even though Zo played against much better centers on a more consistent basis.

Who is the best center Dwight has played against, Yao?

You make it seem like Zo was playin Hakeem every night. There were just as many bums in the league then as there are now, the exception being that there were 4 or 5 superstar C's.

I know he has improved his post game, but 'Zo had far better footwork, and higher IQ, which is a factor.

'Zo was like a mini Hakeem in the post, and with his strength and athleticism there was no stopping him.

Howard on the other hand can be stopped.
    a mini hakeem? zo struggled immensely with double teams in his hornets days. his footwork and post game is nowhere near dream's. it just wasn't that refined. i also don't think many are going to argue that zo was more athletic than dwight.

he wasn't even the clear cut #1 option on that team with larry johnson around and that team failed to make it deep into the playoffs or have a top 5 defense.

in miami, hardaway was the #1 option until about 99-00. this is around the time that zo was getting more comfortable in the post and dealing with doubles much better. unfortunately, not long after is when his kidney issues arose
    Last edited by blacknapalm; 08-28-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Cuba

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    You make it seem like Zo was playin Hakeem every night. There were just as many bums in the league then as there are now, the exception being that there were 4 or 5 superstar C's.
    Shaq/Hakeem/Robinson/Ewing

Then you had -

Rony Seikaly, Dino Radja, Elden Campbell, Vlade Divac, Brad Daughtery, Kevin Duckworth, Dikembe Mutumbo, Rik Smits and Kevin Willis.

He saw more 15-20ppg centers in one season than Dwight has seen in his career.

First off, those guys all NEVER simultaneously averaged "15-20 ppg" in the same season, so you're full of it on that one. Second:

Lets take a random look, guys who were worth a damn strictly off the stat sheet

Shaq
    Hakeem
    Drob
    Ewing
    Zo
    Mutombo
    Seikaly
    Divac
    Willis
    Bradley
    Polynice
    Smits
    Benjamin( )
    Muresan
    Montross( )
    O Miller( )

Dwight
    Horford
    Monroe
    Lopez
    Gortat
    A Jefferson
    Nene
    M Gasol
    Noah
    Kaman
    Bynum
    Pekovic
    McGee
    D Jordan
    Duncan
    Hibbert
    Chandler
    Bogut
    Cousins

Thats just about all of the guys who are mostly playing center who are worth a damn on the stat sheet. You take out the top 5 guys, and there is not a hell of a lot of difference, let alone night and day between depth and quality. You just got stiffs left on both ends. There's always been stiffs manning the majority of the center(starting and backup) spots in the league.
    I mean you want to talk about 93

Atlanta - Willis legit
    Philly - laughable
    Boston - parish legit
    New Jersey - laughable
    Cleveland - Daugherty - star
    Detroit - laughable
    Clips - laughable
    Seattle - laughable
    NY - Ewing star
    Chicago - laughable
    Orlando - Star
    San antonio - star
    Minnesota - laughable
    Milwaukee - laughable
    Washington - legit for 49 games
    Portland - laughable
    Utah - Laughable
    Phoenix - laughable
    Indiana - Smits, 14/5. between laughable and legit
    Denver - legit
    Charlotte - star
    Dallas - between legit and laughable
    Sac - laughable
    Houston - Star
    Lakers - Divac, legit
    Miami - Siekaly - legit
    Golden State -laughable

So in a league of 27 teams, you've got half the league that is laughable.