Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: San Antonio Spurs: For Old Time Sake | 2k13 Association

POTG: Tony Parker

Recap:
    A scrappy, hard fought battle ended in Los Angeles with the Spurs beating the Lakers 88-83. The Spurs remain undefeated after this victory.

They were led by Tony Parker, who scored 21 points on 9-16 shooting from the field. He also added 4 assists and 3 rebounds.

"This was a very important win. We consider the Lakers as somewhat of a rival and it's even moreso a rivalry now that [Steve] Nash is on their team. It feels good to beat them, especially on their turf," Tony Parker said post-game.

The Lakers had very solid performances from Kobe Bryant (26 points and 6 assists) and Dwight Howard (19 points and 11 rebounds) however the contributions from there were not enough.

"Against a team like San Antonio that can throw 12 different guys at you in a variety of different ways, everyone needs to step it up. We're all responsible and I hold myself to saying I won't let this happen again," said Kobe Bryant.

The Spurs gave the ball to Manu Ginobili in the final minute, and he cashed in 6 free throws and a field goal to help the Spurs hold on to their lead when it mattered most.

The Spurs outscoring the Lakers 23-9 in the second quarter was a big difference maker, as they held the lakers to just 28% shooting from the field.

"Fantastic defense for a minute or two doesn't mean quite as much as when you have fantastic defense for a straight quarter. Our errors were minor in the second and it's hard to come back from that," said Tim Duncan after the game. Duncan added 12 points on 4-6 shooting in the win.

With another W in the books for San Antonio, the big question mark is who will stop them. New York hopes to be that team as the Knicks will be in San Antonio on Thursday for a game against the Spurs.

This was...much longer than I expected. I got really carried away and hope you enjoy.

How Deep?
    A look at the San Antonio Spurs title hopes this season.

This will most likely be posted around a day or so after the Spurs came off a huge victory in Staples Center over the Lakers. It marks their second win in that arena already (beating the Clippers 96-88 on the 7th of this past month) this season, and for their sake, hopefully not the last.

To me, this is the twilight of this Spurs era. After this season, players like Duncan and Ginobili may be gone (don't let the Manu extension fool you into thinking he's a lock to retire in San Antonio) while a new era of Spurs basketball will be ushered in. Led by players like Danny Green, Kawhi Leonard, and DeJuan Blair. The big three is getting up in years and getting down in production. As the hottest team in the West, the question on people's minds surely is how long can they keep it up?

Well don't expect any records broken from them this year in terms of overall record or winning streak. I assume they'll surpass 50 wins just like they have for over a decade and secure a nice top seed in the West. That's not the question, the question is how far do they go from there?

Obviously your guess is as good as mine, but as someone who has watched all 8 of the Spurs games (as you may have not) I'd like to provide some insight on where I see them this year.

First off, let's start with the story that has put more people to switch over to the Spurs games than in years past. Kawhi Leonard. A rookie who earned a starting spot under Gregg Popovich last year obviously has to be doing something right, and boy is he ever. Now in his sophmore campaign he's #1 in the league for FG% and has brought a quick fastbreak pace to the Spurs that people aren't used to seeing. I don't expect this number to stay this high all season, of course. However, his ability to play such fantastic basketball on both ends of the floor is astonishing, and as long as that jumpshot's consistency improves and he's able to step out to the three point line and be a true threat, teams will be vying for this kid for years to come. Not only that, but he'll be an integral part of the title push for the Spurs this year.

The Spurs overall game plan has been very interesting to watch this year. They've pushed the break and attacked the basket rather frequently. Although the Lakers game last night was more slowed down, presumably because of how much they got burned by turnovers early on. Getting 10-15 shots up for Tim Duncan isn't that big of a deal right now, which is my first and largest question mark.

This teams three point shooting has helped carry them for several nights. With so many options beyond the arc available at the same time, teams like the Thunder and Clippers have been unable to stop the barrage. This is not something you can rely on in a seven game series, and when those aren't falling this team needs someone to go to. I think that their frontcourt rotation is a problem for them right now. Duncan is seeing a career low in minutes and he's really the only good post scorer on this team. When they've looked to Tiago Splitter to give them something down low it hasn't been fantastic, and guys like Diaw and Bonner are much more comfortable fading off the pick to the three point line. Blair saw his shot last night at a starting gig probably disappear as he failed to score any points over a team who was playing two small forwards at the same time for a majority of the game. Forgive me for questioning the mind of Popovich, but I think this team will have to start giving Duncan significantly more looks and Splitter significantly more open looks if they want to not live and die by the three.

I'd be shocked if this team is rocking the same rotation come April. Unless Aron Baynes can hop off the injured reserve into a starting role and prove he's some prolific post scorer in his first year in the NBA, the Spurs front office will need to look to find a trade and acquire a second big man option who can take up a hunk of minutes.

San Antonio has struggled with turning the ball over a little bit too much. This is something that becomes more evident when a team begins to lose, however clutch play from guys like Parker and Ginobili have put Proactiv on this blemish. Ultimately this team only has one really good passer with Tony Parker. Again, this issue may become more evident later on. I worry about them facing the Heat later this month. 15 turnovers can easily turn into 30 points against that team. This may be another reason they should slow it down and not force the break but rather look to Duncan down low. I'll reference back to the Lakers game again. I remember a string of posessions in a row that the Spurs would get the rebound when Parker was on the bench, and when the rebounder gave the ball to Gary Neal he decided not to risk the pass but rather slow it down and set something up. This was quite successful and I think had this not been done and Neal instead threw up a pass, the outcome of the game could be very different.

There's more I could touch on (like the strengths of the Spurs bench and the team's league-leading FT%) but I'll instead go to how I see this team in the postseason.

The way they match up to the Clippers is very very good and if they do add another post scorer or that situation is remedied in some way I see that series as very one-sided (sorry lob enthusiasts). The other LA team will have to worry about beating the slower Spurs pace that was exhibited on Tuesday and out-performing/shutting down the bench.

The other big name is the Thunder, who beat the Spurs in the conference finals last year. I think the Spurs still don't have the ability to beat this team in seven games. If they want to win, the Spurs will need to slow the pace down like they did against the Lakers and force people who arent Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook to be the scorers, or at least limit those two to less than 30 points. Getting the Thunder big men into foul trouble would be extremely problematic with the slashing of Parker/Ginobili/Leonard and the post proficiency of healthy and rested postseason Tim Duncan.

If there's someone I could rest the burden of my questions on it'd be Gregg Popovich. I'm sure him along with the Spurs front office will find solutions this season to be as dangerous as ever in this potential last go 'round. Even without any trades I could see this team fully healthy take the West in the regular and post season. As for how they match up against the East, that's a totally different story. A story that will begin to be written November 29th as they face the Heat for the first time this season.

Recap:
    The San Antonio Spurs continued their wining ways while the New York Knicks felt another road loss as the Spurs convincingly won 105-78.

The Spurs were led by Tony Parker, who scored 21 points and dished 6 assists, while holding the point guard duo of Raymond Felton and Jason Kidd to just 6 points and 4 assists on just 10% from the field.

"I wanted to take it to them. It's our first game back home in a short while so it's nice to be back and win. As a team we shot the ball well and outscored them in the paint, while holding them back very well in terms of our defense. Very happy," Parker said after the game.

The matchup people had their eyes on between Carmelo Anthony and Kawhi Leonard ended arguably with Kawhi on the winning end. They scored the same amount of points, and Kawhi only had 1 more rebound and 3 less assists. However, Kawhi shot at 70% from the field while Carmelo only shot 44%.

"I knew I had a big task ahead. Carmelo is one of the deadliest scorers in the game of basketball. I think I got the slight upper hand in the end as well as the victory, so that feels great," Leonard commented.

The Spurs told a familiar tale statistically. They shot very well from 3 point land and the free throw line, while their bench outscored the opposing teams. However they still lacked offensive rebounding (and thus, second chance points) and blocks, not to mention they turned the ball over 13 times.

"I know where we're faltering and I'm trying to correct these things on the fly to maintain our streak. Our shooting and defense that doesn't show up on the stat sheet has risen above everything else, but sooner or later these things will bite us," Popovich commented.

San Antonio will look to extend their streak to double digits against the Denver Nuggets (5-4) on Saturday at home.

I decided to simulate the following games:

Nuggets vs Spurs - W (10-0)
    Clippers vs Spurs - L (10-1)
    Spurs @ Celtics - L (10-2)
    Spurs @ Pacers - W (11-2)
    Spurs @ Raptors - L (11-3)
    Spurs @ Wizards - W (12-3)
    Spurs @ Magic - W (13-3)

Next up is the Miami Heat. I will do a preview for that game and then update standings, stats, and do some monthly stuff following me playing it. I think I will simulate through the month of December. I'll consider playing the Thunder game. January I will most likely simulate through. Maybe play the Laker game, maybe another game or two depending on what teams we lose/win to in December.

Kind of a boring preview

Also I forgot to put the right date there, sorry.

Recap:
    The San Antonio Spurs handed the Miami Heat their first home loss of the season, winning 96-74.

It wasn't the tight tooth and nails game most were expecting, rather the Spurs winning every quarter. They were led by Tony Parker, who had 23 points, 5 assists, and 2 steals.

"We were able to maintain control and hold down their stars. It was a good win for us as a team and really strengthened our confidence," Tony Parker commented.

LeBron James and Dwyane Wade struggled all night long, scoring 20 points, 9 rebounds, 7 assists, and 4 turnovers on 38% from the field combined. Instead the Heat were led by Ray Allen, who scored a season high 21 points in 21 minutes, only missing 1 shot (8-9 FG).

Once again the Spurs bench stood tall, outscoring the Heat's 45-19. Danny Green led bench scorers with 13 (3-5 3pt).

San Antonio Spurs went 9-7 through the month of December.

Will be updating a bunch of stuff.

Updated lots of stuff on the front page. Check it all out! If you're curious about anything going on within the league as the season goes along please feel free to ask and I will provide the information.

Are these sliders too easy for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Wavves
    Are these sliders too easy for you?
    i think that they're much more realistic and enjoyable than 2k normally is.

as for too easy...not necessarily. i have a hard time finding the right spot between easy and rage inducing. this is close to the middle but not quite there.

i'm going to write an article about 30 players from all 30 teams that have potential to be traded. or in some format like that.

then there may be a trade...maybe not...

...maybe a blockbuster trade....

:)

also, in the month of january i plan on playing the lakers game and if i do make a trade i'll play the game where that player debuts (if its not the lakers game)

or players...

oh i actually might play the mavs game as well. we're pretty close in the division. there are 2 memphis games this month but they're last in the division so meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniak
    i think that they're much more realistic and enjoyable than 2k normally is.

as for too easy...not necessarily. i have a hard time finding the right spot between easy and rage inducing. this is close to the middle but not quite there.
    Yeah I know what you mean, I always have to have the most realistic gameplay as possible, but finding the spot where it's still difficult but your still having fun is a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Wavves
    Yeah I know what you mean, I always have to have the most realistic gameplay as possible, but finding the spot where it's still difficult but your still having fun is a challenge.
    i may try another slider set and what-not after im done this association project. might be able to find something more enjoyable, but next thing you know 2k14 will be out.

BREAKING: Shawn Marion is the third player this season to face a Torn MCL. He will be out for the remainder of the season.