Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Default I don't know much about Malcolm X. Why was he considered dangerous during his time?

Just curious. I'm not African American but I do respect the rights movements they had in the 1960s.

Default Re: I don't know much about Malcolm X. Why was he considered dangerous during his time?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
    Because the idea of an educated black man has always been considered dangerous in America.
    +1

HomieWeMajor
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: I don't know much about Malcolm X. Why was he considered dangerous during his time?

Because the idea of an educated black man has always been considered dangerous in America.
    Let's go home ladies and gentlemen this thread is done.

A brother speaking that truth will always be dangerous.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Back than. Not now. Younger black dudes get pissy about things nowadays that Malcolm X wouldn't have even noticed. Kinda crazy to think about how far the world has come even if things aren't completely fair/perfect yet. Could you imagine a 21 year old black dude in 2014 having to do this?

Educated black people do pretty well nowadays, it's the uneducated ones that are really fcked

Banned

Because he was the mouth piece of the Nation of Islam and they preached armed, violent resistance against the racially oppressive system. This was the antithesis of MLK/SNCC/etc philosophy which preached peaceful insubordination. The White establishment was convinced that if Malcolm's philosophy took hold there would be nation wide riots and rampages. They basically saw him as another Nat Turner. I actually did a paper in HS examining why the establishment was so quick to deal with leaders like MLK. Pretty much every major Civil Rights law followed some large scale violent uprising/riot. I think the government was scared that if they didn't let the peaceful protesters in the front door, Malcolm and the Black Panthers were going to kick in the back door and murder everyone in the house.

I'm sure they were more than happy to continue sicking the dogs and hoses on Black people at sit ins, freedom marches/rides indefinitely

Malcolm's world view changed drastically after he went on a pilgrimage to Mecca though. He cleaved himself from Elijah Muhammad and the nation as a result and unfortunately that's what got him killed.

You should read this:

Really fascinating read. Or if you're too lazy, just watch the Denzel/Spike Lee movie.

Or, he was the most prominent member of an insane cult. The same cult that when Malcolm didn't want anything to do with them anymore they murdered him.

But whatever. Stick to your "dangerous educated black man" narrative.

From his adoption of the Nation of Islam in 1952 until he broke with it in 1964, Malcolm X promoted the Nation's teachings. These included the beliefs:

that black people are the original people of the world
    that white people are "devils"
    that blacks are superior to whites, and
    that the demise of the white race is imminent.

Malcolm X also called for a segregated nation for blacks and use of violence whenever necessary.
    [COLOR="White"]...[/COLOR]

He killed a lot of innocent people and was a f*ckboy.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    You should read this:

Really fascinating read. Or if you're too lazy, just watch the Denzel/Spike Lee movie.
    Lol. Alex Haley.....

Says "you should read this".

Quote Originally Posted by dude77
    [COLOR="White"]...[/COLOR]

How are/were these people any different than the inbred KKK occultists?

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy

Well, the Nation of Islam didn't lynch a bunch of people to my knowledge.

They're not AS bad as the KKK.

Local High School Star wakencdukest's Avatar

Really? He was young and ignorant and got brainwashed by the Nation Of Islam while in prison. He then made a name for himself by preaching the radical, racist agenda of the Nation. I'll give him credit that he finally got wise to the fallacy of the Nation Of Islam and left it. The smartest thing he ever did got him killed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Lol. Alex Haley.....

Says "you should read this".
    Is it the Roots plagiarism thing?

As far as I know I don't think the Nation of Islam rode around lynching White people. Speaking of the Klan- they chased Malcolm's family out of Nebraska (his father was a Baptist minister who was a follower of Marcus Garvey and preached Black Pride/Self Reliance). A terrorist splinter group of the Klan, the ironically named Black legion, burned down the family house in Michigan and killed his father. X also claims that 3 of his uncles (on his dad's side) died from similar incidents.

Not exactly surprising he would lured by the Nation of Islam's radical philosophy considering his experiences. But he did have a change of heart after his pilgrimage and changed his politics near the end of his life.