Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default should Pete Rose be in the hall of fame?

I was driving home and I heard him on a radio interview. Makes me wanna raise the issue to ISH posters. Does he/does he NOT belong in the hall? I personally feel he does. His accomplishments on the field cannot be disputed. His character and integrity can be questioned all day long, but between the lines? Simply one of the greatest of all time. Isn't that what the baseball hall of fame is all about? It's isn't the hall of "ethics and morals." If that were the case, you could remove half the people. Yes, I realize that betting on baseball is a very serious crime, more serious than just about anything in the sports world, but these acts were committed when he was a manager. A lifetime ban from the game for these acts I feel is fair, but not a banishment from the hall of fame.

Thoughts/opinions?

Default Re: should Pete Rose be in the hall of fame?

Yes he belongs....but the reason i dont defend him in debates/argument too much or support him is due to his character. He's a sneaky, con artist, fibber scumbag of a person. He for years denied betting then confessed then denied then confesses. And he used his "confessions" so to speak to promote book sales which is no different than OJ Simpson "I killed them" book. I just think its hard to support just an arrogant jackass of a guy. Too many people speak on his character in a negative light...and his interviews, comments are just ridiculous. Guy also charges arm and a leg for baseball autographs and can be a jerk during that.

I'm sure there are well thought out written remarks when it comes to Pete Rose by folks...mine is kind of butchered but the point is he belongs but he makes it tough for people to rally around him because of how he is. Not even Bonds makes me feel the way Pete does.

-primetime-
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981
    I was driving home and I heard him on a radio interview. Makes me wanna raise the issue to ISH posters. Does he/does he NOT belong in the hall? I personally feel he does. His accomplishments on the field cannot be disputed. His character and integrity can be questioned all day long, but between the lines? Simply one of the greatest of all time. Isn't that what the baseball hall of fame is all about? It's isn't the hall of "ethics and morals." If that were the case, you could remove half the people. Yes, I realize that betting on baseball is a very serious crime, more serious than just about anything in the sports world, but these acts were committed when he was a manager. A lifetime ban from the game for these acts I feel is fair, but not a banishment from the hall of fame.

Thoughts/opinions?
    he did the ONE thing that goes beyond anything else...

he bet on his own team...you just don't do that...that is the equivalent of a team losing on purpose for money.

if he would have been a man about it and just said "i'm sorry" then ok, maybe

but he is a stubborn jack ass...and I don't feel sorry for him

Caution: Adult Content

yes. what he accomplished on the field made him deserving of it.

Quote Originally Posted by -primetime-
    he did the ONE thing that goes beyond anything else...

he bet on his own team...you just don't do that...that is the equivalent of a team losing on purpose for money.

I don't feel sorry for him either, and his actions should prevent him from being involved with professional baseball. However, everyone knows that he belongs based on his play, so getting him to the hall is just a formality. Maybe give him what he wants, but put a large asterick next to his plaque saying something along the lines of *banned from baseball for gambling*

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

He himself agreed to a lifetime ban so there is no reason to overturn that especially after all the years of lying then only coming clean when it was time to cash in on a book deal.

His performance merits entry but he's a scumbag and agreed to be banned. Him not getting in is fine with me.

He did admit to betting on baseball and the Reds (claims never against) in his book.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer SoCalMike's Avatar

He is a strange one, but yeah, he belongs in the hall of fame... he made his records without being juiced....

-primetime-

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    He did admit to betting on baseball and the Reds (claims never against) in his book.
    I missed the public apology

I missed the public apology
    He did it on one of those major networks...ABC or CBS. Did an interview.

Saw a basketball once BubbaChuck's Avatar

Here's that interview of him saying that he gambled: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ym59Xjlqz4

But yeah, he SHOULD be in the Hall of Fame but he kept himself out by doing what he did. Nevertheless, that doesn't take away the fact that he's the hits leader and was an amazing player.

yes but they should put his plaque at the bottom of a trash can.

problem solved no?

definitely belongs... he never did anything illegal as a player (that atleast I know of) and therefore he should be in the hall as a player...

I rule the local playground

with out a doubt he should, he is leader in hits and played his hart out every game so what if he gambled on games he still was one of the best

-primetime-

Quote Originally Posted by go_blue
    with out a doubt he should, he is leader in hits and played his hart out every game so what if he gambled on games he still was one of the best
    that is the most disrespectful thing you can do to the sport and the fans

he basically took a piss on baseball