Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Troll who tries to provoke you

Default Re: Larry Bird vs Magic Johnson - Who was the better player All Time?

Quote Originally Posted by K Xerxes
    This is without a doubt the worst post I have ever seen. Even by a troll.
    remember. a kobe'tard a full retard will always show his true colors at some point.

Kobe is the only one who is era specific.

I cannot see kobe outperforming Dominique or Clyde in '80s or '90s.

Bird has transformed the game forever.

Bird singlehandedly showed athleticism is EXTREMELY OVERRATED.

Jordan frequently said, if he had to pick a starting 5 for the team. Bird is an AUTOMATIC first player to be picked.

Quote Originally Posted by jlip

Magic retired in '91. Bird retired in '92...unless you're counting Magic's brief comeback in '96
    Magic played at a higer level longer. By 88-89, Bird suffered from awful back injuries. I think he even admitted he should have retired back then.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

There are some things that Magic did better than Bird and vice versa.

Most of the time, Magic normally don't disappoint in the playoffs. He shoots a very high percentage because he picked his shots very well, better than Bird. He'll take over when needed.

Bird didn't have guys that free him up early on in his career like Magic, but in his prime, I like Bird's game better. IMO, I think he was better in the post although Magic was not bad himself, off the ball, shooter, and a better post defender.

You can't really go wrong with either. If you want a point guard, pick Magic. If you want a SF/PF, you pick Bird.

I gotta go with Larry. His injuries really spoiled what could have been several very productive years.

Larry and the 86 Celtics...that was me losing my basketball virginity. When Larry was on, there was just nothing like it until Jordan came along and took the crown of GOAT.

These guys playing together...might have been the best basketball ever to occur had it happened more frequently.

Well, Magic repeatedly outplayed Peak Bird in the Finals despite being 3 years younger so...

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

I value Larry more myself because he had the entire package like nobody else. He was an unstoppable scorer, he gave you 10 boards, 6-7 assist and HE PLAYED DEFENSE. That is the main distinction between Bird and Magic to me. Larry before his back problems was an excellent team/help defender and for my money that is more important that being some "stopper". You affect the game more when you are great team/help defender (i'll take Jason Kidd in his prime defensively vs Gary payton anytime of the week). Magic on the other hand was average at best on defense.
    Last edited by Smoke117; 05-12-2013 at 11:31 PM.

Decent college freshman

magic

College superstar

It seems as if Bird was considered better from '80 to '86. The '87 Finals is when people started saying that Magic was better.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    I value Larry more myself because he had the entire package like nobody else. He was an unstoppable scorer, he gave you 10 boards, 6-7 assist and HE PLAYED DEFENSE. That is the main distinction between Bird and Magic to me. Larry before his back problems was an excellent team/help defender and for my money that is more important that being some "stopper". You affect the game more when you are great team/help defender (i'll Jason Kidd in his prime defensively vs Gary payton anytime of the weak). Magic on the other hand was average at best on defense.
    Bird couldn't guard ANYONE man to man. Magic could at least matchup with guys around his own size even if he had trouble with little guys....and he led the league in steals.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore LLK21's Avatar

Statistically, Bird was a better player. Magic had a greater impact on the game itself. I think Magic is better overall and had a better career, but Magic never had the injuries that Bird had. Also Magic played way better defense.

While Bird was considered the best player in the league in the mid-80's, I believe Magic was actually the better player in the ealry 80's, and certainly from '87 on.

Magic was somewhat under-rated in the early 80's, because he had Kareem as a teammate. And while an early 80's Kareem was still a formidable player, by '82 Magic was already the better player. And Magic's play in the post-season in '80 and '82 was just sensational.

And I always get a laugh out of those that mention "Tragic" Johnson in the '84 Finals. Yep...a "Tragic" who averaged 18 ppg, led his team in rebounding, averaged 13 apg, and shot .560 from the floor.

Overall, Magic had the better career, and was a better post-season performer.

Magic

Bird is just an era-specific player.. His ceiling in today's league would be Scalabrine at best..

Quote Originally Posted by KOBE143
    Magic

Bird is just an era-specific player.. His ceiling in today's league would be Scalabrine at best..
    I agree. And players like a prime Nash and Kevin Love would be nothing in other eras, as well.

Larry no question and ppl overrated Magic playing longer. They both have 10 allnba teams both 9 1st and 1 2nd. Plus Larry got alldefense teams he was better allaround player for sure

Sunshine State

Quote Originally Posted by KOBE143
    Magic

Where's that dumbest things said on ISH thread?