Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Why do people use the fact that WWE is fake to denigrate it?

I dont understand this. If you dont like WWE, fair enough. Everyone likes different things. But why do people use the fact that its fake to say it "sucks"? If someone comes to me and says Breaking Bad is awesome, and I say it sucks, and when I'm asked why I respond with "cause its fake", people would look at me like Im retarded. Yet its perfectly acceptable to say that when talking about WWE.

WWE is a show. It is entertainment. It is scripted, and that fact is well known. So what exactly is the problem with it being fake, when everything else on TV is?

Banned

Default Re: Why do people use the fact that WWE is fake to denigrate it?

It amazes me that people still use that argument.

The funny thing is if you told them everything else is fake, such as Breaking Bad, they would shut the F up because they have no rebuttal.

There is a better argument than "it is fake."

Banned

Yeah, even the news (CNN, Fox, etc.) is fake. Everything is fake in this f*cking world.

Banned

Not going to lie though, I went back to watching wrestling after Wrestlemania. It is entertaining after not watching for awhile and plus Wyatt and Shield is pretty damn good. Now we have Evolution back too.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

This ain't fake...

   

breaking bad is at least based on a possible reality, as are most other shows and movies. sure, they stretch things a bit here and there, but most of them are careful to never quite break the viewers' disbelief.

pro wrestling threw this idea out the window and went gonzo-town with the whole affair. everything is ludicrous, over the top, defiant of the laws of nature. i think that is why many have a hard time taking it seriously.

i'll give you this-- i hadn't realised until a few years back how hard the sport is on the wrestlers. it's almost as devastating as american football, which is really saying something.

Born again Cavs fan bballnoob1192's Avatar

only people who thought it was real when they originally watched it, then realized it was fake/scripted and their whole world fell apart. those are the idiots that used it's fake as an argument cuz they just butthurt that it wasn't real as they thought as a kid or whatever

Earned not given

Because it's a soap opera for dudes.

Seriously. There are way more embarrassing qualities to use. The gayness aspect, the lowest common denominator form of entertainment, etc.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Raymone
    Seriously. There are way more embarrassing qualities to use. The gayness aspect, the lowest common denominator form of entertainment, etc.
    What's gay about it though? In MMA, sometimes they spend entire rounds on the ground on top of eachother rolling around. How is pro wrestling any gayer than that? Because it's scripted? So are movies but they are not gay, so what exactly is it that makes wrestling gay?

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

it's a bunch of grown sweaty men in underwear rubbing on eachother, i'll pass.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    i'll give you this-- i hadn't realised until a few years back how hard the sport is on the wrestlers. it's almost as devastating as american football, which is really saying something.

We're talking about pro wrestling in this thread Gigantes, not wrestling the sport. Pro wrestling is not a sport. It's a male soap opera, and a damn good one at times (though I don't watch it so much anymore. Try to catch up on youtube when I can).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    breaking bad is at least based on a possible reality, as are most other shows and movies. sure, they stretch things a bit here and there, but most of them are careful to never quite break the viewers' disbelief.

pro wrestling threw this idea out the window and went gonzo-town with the whole affair. everything is ludicrous, over the top, defiant of the laws of nature. i think that is why many have a hard time taking it seriously.

Ok, take action movies or a movie like Rocky. Its cool to say "Spiderman is awesome, he is so strong" and "Rocky is a f*ckin hero man!" but if you say "Man the Undertaker is a legend, 21 wins at Wrestlemania, thats amazing", then they respond with "You're stupid, dont you know its fake?".

Explain the difference to me because I dont get it. WWE is scripted but they actually take real damage on a nightly basis. The Undertaker had a severe concussion after his fight with Brock Lesnar. Did Sylvestor Stallone have a concussion after Rocky? I dont think so.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Styles p
    it's a bunch of grown sweaty men in underwear rubbing on eachother, i'll pass.
    I have to say, if you have a dirty mind UFC is by far the worst thing to watch. Sometimes you'll see guys in sexual positions on the ground rubbing their bodies on eachother for 5 minutes at a time.

Banned

Wrestlers dont use make up like movie stars either. These guys literally slice their own faces during a match. They actually lose large amounts of blood.