Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: #20 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Kid7
    Bob Pettit - You could argue that had Russell not been injured, Pettit might not have put on a good show that '58 finals. Still dominant though and a good player, and could make an argument against Zeke
    David Robinson - Getting poor Playoff results pre-Duncan doesn't help a lot. He was an excellent, mobile center and a good franchise guy though.
    Havlicek - Him and Zeke are interchangable to me to be honest.
    Dirk - His defense and other things can be a glaring issue at times (passing and rebounding mainly), but still a good franchise guy.

Not gonna lie, a huge part of this is bias. Zeke's one of my favorite players so that might cloud my judgement. Oh, and voting for him helps the goal of spamming my video.
    bob pettit has become one of the most underrated players ever

his career almost mirrors a guy like moses malone... who was ranked the 12th best ever on here

1954-55 NBA All-NBA (1st)
    1955-56 NBA All-NBA (1st)
    1956-57 NBA All-NBA (1st)
    1957-58 NBA All-NBA (1st)
    1958-59 NBA All-NBA (1st)
    1959-60 NBA All-NBA (1st)
    1960-61 NBA All-NBA (1st)
    1961-62 NBA All-NBA (1st)
    1962-63 NBA All-NBA (1st)
    1963-64 NBA All-NBA (1st)
    1964-65 NBA All-NBA (2nd)

1954-55 NBA Rookie of the Year
    1955-56 NBA All-Star Game MVP
    1955-56 NBA MVP
    1957-58 NBA All-Star Game MVP
    1958-59 NBA All-Star Game MVP
    1958-59 NBA MVP
    1961-62 NBA All-Star Game MVP

+ 1957-58 NBA Finals MVP * no award made at the time

1958 NBA champion
    8 top five MVP award share finishes

his averages =

20/14
    26/16
    25/15
    25/17
    29/16
    26/17
    28/20
    31/19
    28/15
    27/15
    22/12

this guy i quoted called him a "good player"

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    it changes sometimes with a few guys up and down...

this is mine as of right now

1. Michael Jordan
    2. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    3. Bill Russell
    4. Magic Johnson
    5. Wilt Chamberlain
    6. Kobe Bryant
    7. Larry Bird
    8. Shaquille O'neal
    9. Tim Duncan
    10. Hakeem Olajuwon
    11. Jerry West
    12. Elgin Baylor
    13. Oscar Robertson
    14. Bob Pettit
    15. Moses Malone
    16. Julius Erving
    17. Lebron James
    18. Bob Cousy
    19. Karl Malone
    19. Isaiah Thomas
    20. John Havlicek
    21. Charles Barkley
    22. Kevin Garnett
    23. David Robinson
    24. Dirk Nowitzki
    25. Scottie Pippen

some people on here should learn from it. study it. and see what a real ranking looks like
    cool

there are a few guys I disagree with, but it's not that bad...my current list is in flux, so I can't show you mine atm

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Kid7
    Bob Pettit - You could argue that had Russell not been injured, Pettit might not have put on a good show that '58 finals. Still dominant though and a good player, and could make an argument against Zeke
    David Robinson - Getting poor Playoff results pre-Duncan doesn't help a lot. He was an excellent, mobile center and a good franchise guy though.
    Havlicek - Him and Zeke are interchangable to me to be honest.
    Dirk - His defense and other things can be a glaring issue at times (passing and rebounding mainly), but still a good franchise guy.

Not gonna lie, a huge part of this is bias. Zeke's one of my favorite players so that might cloud my judgement. Oh, and voting for him helps the goal of spamming my video.
    Firstly, appreciate the honesty. I'd assume most posters have neglected to discuss why Zeke is a better player than the individuals I mentioned because they don't really have a reason. He's just a favorite player of theirs.

Now to the points you brought up. It certainly can be argued that had Russell not been hurt during the Finals, Pettit wouldn't have won his sole championship. However, his level of performance throughout his career far exceeds anything Zeke ever came close to exhibiting. Pettit has two well deserved MVPs, and would have a FMVP if the award was birthed at the time. I don't see how Isiah even comes close to comparing to be honest.

David Robinson. True, his shortcomings as the leader of his team are well documented and remembered. But aside from 91(I believe) when Robinson's supporting cast was well in dow, when did he have a supporting cast even close to Zeke's? Put David Robinson on the Pistons and Zeke on the Spurs, and Robinson would have at LEAST two rings, a MVP (which he has), a DPOY (which he has), and a couple FMVPs. Isiah would have ...nothing. Once more, David Robinson has 2 rings, a MVP, and a DPOY. Isiah has 2 rings and a FMVP.

As for Dirk, it definitely can be debated either way who was the greater individual player All Time, so I won't go into deep detail. I'd be more confident with Dirk as my team's best player than Zeke, and the same goes for Havlicek. But, if you want to argue that Zeke was a much superior defender and passer, while Dirk was simply a greater scorer, you won't get much dissent from me.
    Last edited by BlackVVaves; 09-02-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Local High School Star

Pettit

notice how whenever i say a player should have been voted instead of so and so... that player immediately gets voted a bunch suddenly after that

its because i make people think for a change

still.. barkley ahead of baylor is the dumbest sh*t since

next 3 should be

PETTIT
    MIKAN
    COUSY
    i didnt notice that, your the ****ing man

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kews1
    i didnt notice that, your the ****ing man

sarcasm is impossible to transfer into text. its a type of verbal delivery using body gestures and precise pauses

so i'l take this as a serious showing of praise

sarcasm is impossible to transfer into text. its a type of verbal delivery using body gestures and precise pauses

so i'l take this as a serious showing of praise

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

it changes sometimes with a few guys up and down...

this is mine as of right now

1. Michael Jordan
    2. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    3. Bill Russell
    4. Magic Johnson
    5. Wilt Chamberlain
    6. Kobe Bryant
    7. Larry Bird
    8. Shaquille O'neal
    9. Tim Duncan
    10. Hakeem Olajuwon
    11. Jerry West
    12. Elgin Baylor
    13. Oscar Robertson
    14. Bob Pettit
    15. Moses Malone
    16. Julius Erving
    17. Lebron James
    18. Bob Cousy
    19. Karl Malone
    19. Isaiah Thomas
    20. John Havlicek
    21. Charles Barkley
    22. Kevin Garnett
    23. David Robinson
    24. Dirk Nowitzki
    25. Scottie Pippen

some people on here should learn from it. study it. and see what a real ranking looks like
    Kobe being over more accomplished players like Bird, Shaq and probably Duncan.... while West, Oscar, Baylor, Pettit, Malone, Erving who accomplished less than Lebron being over Lebron tells us everything we need to know about who you viciously like and who you viciously dislike, you might aswell remove Lebron completely of your list... and put Kobe at #1.... why not? Bird/Shaq accomplished more than Kobe just like Jordan and so on did.... would be the same logic...
    Last edited by pauk; 09-02-2012 at 09:14 PM.

College star

Dirk Nowitzki

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Mirko Cro Cop's Avatar

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVVaves
    Firstly, appreciate the honesty. I'd assume most posters have neglected to discuss why Zeke is a better player than the individuals I mentioned because they don't really have a reason. He's just a favorite player of theirs.

Now to the points you brought up. It certainly can be argued that had Russell not been hurt during the Finals, Pettit wouldn't have won his sole championship. However, his level of performance throughout his career far exceeds anything Zeke ever came close to exhibiting. Pettit has two well deserved MVPs, and would have a FMVP if the award was birthed at the time. I don't see how Isiah even comes close to comparing to be honest.
    Good point, not gonna argue there because ultimatly you're probably right here. Pettit was the best player in the NBA before Russell came around, and Zeke while being a great playoff performer and had some memorable PO's, never came close to 'best player'.

David Robinson. True, his shortcomings as the leader of his team are well documented and remembered. But aside from 91(I believe) when Robinson's supporting cast was well in dow, when did he have a supporting cast even close to Zeke's? Put David Robinson on the Pistons and Zeke on the Spurs, and Robinson would have at LEAST two rings, a MVP (which he has), a DPOY (which he has), and a couple FMVPs. Isiah would have ...nothing. Once more, David Robinson has 2 rings, a MVP, and a DPOY. Isiah has 2 rings and a FMVP.
    Another good point. I feel that regarding that '95 MVP though, he got raped by Hakeem immediatly after he was awarded it. As much as I wanna discredit it, San Antonio had less than 20 losses that season, so it was deserved.

As for Dirk, it definitely can be debated either way who was the greater individual player All Time, so I won't go into deep detail. I'd be more confident with Dirk as my team's best player than Zeke, and the same goes for Havlicek. But, if you want to argue that Zeke was a much superior defender and passer, while Dirk was simply a greater scorer, you won't get much dissent from me.
    Agreed. As I said, a huge part of it is just bias. I like that Detroit team and Isiah. I thought it was cool how he basically had to go through hell before he could win (lost the first round duel to NY in '84, the steal in '87, the ankle in '88). I though him and detroit were all cool 'cuz they dethroned Showtime and the Celtics (albeit after both teams were done with their primes), but I'm just playing the favoritism card here so I'll stop.

this guy i quoted called him a "good player"
    I apologize I don't agree with your opinion man. Bob Pettit was an excellent player, but truth be told I really don't have a solid list after 10 (where Kobe is for me).

Bob Pettit.

(Baylor below Malone and Barkley is a joke)

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    Bob Pettit.

(Baylor below Malone and Barkley is a joke)
    How so?
    It's not like he has anything that separates him by a huge margin to those guys.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Kobe being over more accomplished players like Bird, Shaq and probably Duncan.... while West, Oscar, Baylor, Pettit, Malone, Erving who accomplished less than Lebron being over Lebron tells us everything we need to know about who you viciously like and who you viciously dislike, you might aswell remove Lebron completely of your list... and put Kobe at #1.... why not? Bird/Shaq accomplished more than Kobe just like Jordan and so on did.... would be the same logic...
    shut the pauk up

kobe is more accomplished than bird, shaq and duncan