Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Lakers games will only air on Time Warner Cable.

Didn't see a thread, but right now the new Time Warner SportsNet, which will be carrying every Lakers game this season, does not have a contract with any other providers besides Time Warner Cable.

That means unless you have Time Warner Cable, the only Lakers games you will see are the nationally televised games.

Now, a deal could still be made before the season starts, but I've heard Time Warner is asking for $4 per subscriber. That means that if Cox, or Verizon, or Direct-TV want to carry Time Warner SportsNet, they will have to pay $4 for every customer they have in Southern California.

These deals often go down to the wire from what I've read, but if I was a die-hard Lakers fan, I certainly wouldn't risk it. I remember the Yankees had a similar situation a few years back, and a contract was not signed until like halfway through the season.

Default Re: Lakers games will only air on Time Warner Cable.

And I realize this isn't the Lakers forum, but I thought it was an interesting enough topic to post here.

Interesting. What if you have NBA league pass?

They'll eventually get the deal done before the season. No worries.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Didn't see a thread, but right now the new Time Warner SportsNet, which will be carrying every Lakers game this season, does not have a contract with any other providers besides Time Warner Cable.

That means unless you have Time Warner Cable, the only Lakers games you will see are the nationally televised games.

Now, a deal could still be made before the season starts, but I've heard Time Warner is asking for $4 per subscriber. That means that if Cox, or Verizon, or Direct-TV want to carry Time Warner SportsNet, they will have to pay $4 for every customer they have in Southern California.

These deals often go down to the wire from what I've read, but if I was a die-hard Lakers fan, I certainly wouldn't risk it. I remember the Yankees had a similar situation a few years back, and a contract was not signed until like halfway through the season.
    TMC isnt even a option around here. $4 a sub is way too much for the station.

Quote Originally Posted by ihoopallday
    Interesting. What if you have NBA league pass?
    I've read if no deal is done, league pass will only be broadcasting laker away games

Quote Originally Posted by SAKOTXA
    They'll eventually get the deal done before the season. No worries.
    you think so? time warner is paying $200 million a year for exclusive rights, i don't see them being all that eager to work out a deal with other providers

Banned

the title of the thread should somehow allude to the fact that deals will eventually happen .only question is when and how many games ,if any, will we miss

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kurt_rambis
    you think so? time warner is paying $200 million a year for exclusive rights, i don't see them being all that eager to work out a deal with other providers
    its the opposite , that is exactly why they have to make a deal. they cannot afford to pay that from their own subscriptions only.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyNote
    I've read if no deal is done, league pass will only be broadcasting laker away games
    Yeah that would suck

Quote Originally Posted by flipogb
    its the opposite , that is exactly why they have to make a deal. they cannot afford to pay that from their own subscriptions only.
    that's a fair point, but if their goal is to lure people away from directv and dish network making the lakers available on those services wouldn't really make sense. they're also expected to try and get exclusive access to the dodgers next year

Local High School Star

I already have Time Warner. This will be the only time that's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Noof
    I already have Time Warner. This will be the only time that's a good thing.

Aint that the truth. Time Warner usually sucks.

was gon drop TWC but now guess I gotta keep it and get verizon fios internet.

National High School Star

From what I've heard the terrestrial cable companies will likely get a deal done before the start of the regular season if not the pre-season. TWC isn't actually in direct competition with them since all the cable companies have carved up the land to create their little monopolies. For them it's just seeing who blinks first on price.

For DirecTV it's supposedly a whole other ball game. All the land based cable companies are super butt hurt about DirecTV. (If you've every switched between the two you'll see the rivalry goes all the way down to the guy that installs the cable because they'll always complain about how horrible the other service is.) Sunday ticket was a huge win for DTV, snagging a bunch of cable customers away. As TWC sees it, this Laker deal has been the first major strike back at the satellites that any cable company has had. There was a TWC cable rep on the radio here and he literally said that if a deal with DTV ever get's done they're going to make sure they take an "arm and a leg" with them at the very least.

With the sudden increase in demand for Laker games the Cable companies are salavating at the chance to take a chunk out of DTV. Which is why TWC is paying 200 mill a year for the rights.