Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default How do you stop this VERY FAT and TALL guy DOMINATING in streetball?

Theres this new guy whos VERY FAT and TALL. We call him Shaq (Though obviously hes not as athletic and fast as shaq), but hes fatter.

He looks REALLY TALL, like close to 7 feet maybe 6'9 or 6'10. Hes bodyshape very similar to Escalade from and1 like this:

The problem is we always play a half-court game with no in the paint violation like the NBA. So all he does is stays in the paint.

Also, although he doesnt have many "post moves" as you would call it, he does have this little baby hook he will utilize many times.

So someone will feed him the ball. You try to defend him by standing between the basket and him, he backs you up taking a dribble or two. Its hard to reach to the other end for the steal because of his width (If any of you plays with big a55 guys before you would know), then he does this little hook, and theres like no way to stop it because when you "fly" away from the impact from him backing up he will do that little hook which seems like he practice to perfection.

Even if you managed to recover from bouncing off him and try to block his "hook", its still somehow impossible without fouling him because of his massive size.

No-one else in the court is as tall as him, the next tallest would be probably 6'5 or 6'6. The average height of the regular ballers are maybe 6'0 or so.

How to stop???

Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: How do you stop this VERY FAT and TALL guy DOMINATING in streetball?

I wish i had a answer for you..but its streetball no violations he can park all day. No one close to his height/weight. Nothin much you can do, but try to double team all the time honestly.

Default Re: How do you stop this VERY FAT and TALL guy DOMINATING in streetball?

If he camps near under the basket, I would say front him. That means instead of standing between him and the basket, stand in front of him and the basket. Try to steal the ball or avoid any entrance passes going in. If his teammate tries to lob it over you and inside to him, get another teammate to double and snatch that ball.

Otherwise, if he's 6'9" and just taller and bigger than you, there's nothing you can do when he gets it deep.

Deny the ball from going to him. DOUBLE team him as soon as he gets it.. and I hope one of you guys can jump high enough to block his shot. Or crowd him so that before the ball gets up that high, one of you can strip it off him

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by ripthekik
    If he camps near under the basket, I would say front him. That means instead of standing between him and the basket, stand in front of him and the basket. Try to steal the ball or avoid any entrance passes going in. If his teammate tries to lob it over you and inside to him, get another teammate to double and snatch that ball.

Otherwise, if he's 6'9" and just taller and bigger than you, there's nothing you can do when he gets it deep.

Deny the ball from going to him. DOUBLE team him as soon as he gets it.. and I hope one of you guys can jump high enough to block his shot. Or crowd him so that before the ball gets up that high, one of you can strip it off him
    Thanks for your informative answer. Will take your advice and try to do something before the game of basketball deteriorates to a sumo fest..

Banned

Only way to stop him is to tell him to go play on another court

Jazz | Utes | Raiders UtahJazzFan88's Avatar

Play full court and run n gun it.

In all honesty, make him play defense on the other end, make him tired on defense, might effect his offensive game.

pressure the entry pass and front him, then tell the help to step in front of him when he catches it and strip him

National High School Star

why even bother playing half court? run full court or stop bitching

Back when I was in middle school, I remember a few of my cousins and their friends used to play basketball together. I would join in occasionally, but not often because everyone was twice my size at the time; however, I did usually watch them play.

Anyway, I recall one day a 6'7"+, 250+ lb guy asked to join in their pick-up game. The group's tallest player was 6'0", but he was as thin as a needle. The rest of the guys were under 5'10" and only one guy was built enough to handle post abuse.
    Obviously, the new guy dominated. All he had to do was dunk. He could easily grab boards over all of them; he blocked shots so much that you'd think Wilt Chamberlain had been reincarnated; if the game was 21 and tip-ins were allowed, nobody could get more than 5 pts before this dude would dunk tip the ball and bring the score back down to 0; and he moved pretty quickly with or without the ball, so it wasn't easy to defend him.

It got to the point where the pick-up games weren't fun any more because nobody could stop this giant. To make a fair comparison, it was similar to, say, current LeBron James playing against high schoolers.

After a few days in a row of him coming through and dominating all day, my cousins and their friends finally decided they had enough and told the guy to politely "fuck off." He was mad and wanted to fight a few guys, but they were all yelling back and made him leave.

You can say they acted like a bunch of bitches, but let's be honest. If you're just playing basketball with your friends for fun and some new guy comes through and ruins the fun, wouldn't you want to ask him to leave? It's not like any of them were truly competing for anything. It was just some after school fun, and ain't no fun if you're getting your ass kicked.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar
    You can say they acted like a bunch of bitches, but let's be honest. If you're just playing basketball with your friends for fun and some new guy comes through and ruins the fun, wouldn't you want to ask him to leave? It's not like any of them were truly competing for anything. It was just some after school fun, and ain't no fun if you're getting your ass kicked.
    Being that you guys were in middle school, I can understand how that'd be a tough situation. How old was this big guy? And did this happen at a public court or a school court? He must have not had very many basketball options in his area if he had to resort to playing against middle schoolers every single day. Also, depending on that guy's age, I'm having a hard time picturing him wanting to fight a slew of 12 year olds.

That said, if some things were a little different - let's say you guys were not middle schoolers and you were playing at your city's primary court - I wouldn't be able to have an issue with anyone trying to step in and play. Sometimes players (even big ones) just want to get out there and exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by tgan3
    The problem is we always play a half-court game with no in the paint violation like the NBA. So all he does is stays in the paint.

Also, although he doesnt have many "post moves" as you would call it, he does have this little baby hook he will utilize many times.

So someone will feed him the ball. You try to defend him by standing between the basket and him, he backs you up taking a dribble or two. Its hard to reach to the other end for the steal because of his width (If any of you plays with big a55 guys before you would know), then he does this little hook, and theres like no way to stop it because when you "fly" away from the impact from him backing up he will do that little hook which seems like he practice to perfection.

Even if you managed to recover from bouncing off him and try to block his "hook", its still somehow impossible without fouling him because of his massive size.

No-one else in the court is as tall as him, the next tallest would be probably 6'5 or 6'6. The average height of the regular ballers are maybe 6'0 or so.

How to stop???
    Are you guys playing 3-on-3 half court? Is lack of numbers the reason you don't run full? Either way, I'll echo what others have said. If it seems the big man can just back everyone down and shoot jump hooks after he catches with a defender on his back, the I'd say front that man and/or try to make him catch the ball out of his comfort zone.

Even in a game of 3-on-3, if a defender's fronting the post, a teammate should still be able to keep an eye on the backside in the event of a lob over the top. And if fronting is not an option, it sounds small, but I'd again suggest trying to do whatever you can to make the big guy catch it a little further away from the hoop than he'd like. Sometimes, even if a big guy is capable of backing a defender down 23 feet away, he won't (or 10 feet away even). Moreover, the further he is from the hoop, the more opportunity there should be to help down and attempt to bother his dribble.

Sometimes the best you can do is not necessarily stopping a guy like that altogether, but just making it more difficult for him than he'd prefer. You may not be able to block his hooks, but maybe you can alter just enough variables to make that shot feel at least a little uncomfortable, leading to more misses.

Also, a man that large is often going to be giving up something somewhere. His mobility and/or stamina could be lacking and in that case, try to turn that into an advantage on your end. Have whoever he is guarding step away from the hoop (to take the big man away from the rim with him) thus opening up lanes and creating an opportunity for the big to be taken off the dribble from the perimeter.

I haven't played any true seven footers in three on three. But I have played against my share of 6'7'' to 6'9'' 300 pound linemen hybrids and a lot of cases, it takes a second to realize it, but they're often giving up as much as they're providing. They surely hit their share of inside shots that make you think, "Geez, absolutely nothing I could do there" but the other aspects of their game (speed, agility, stamina) tend to even the playing field to some extent.

Above all else, it usually takes at least some level of defensive coordination between teammates. If it's just a matter of each player guarding their guy and thus watching your biggest man go solo against the giant and watching him getting eaten up, then that'll be an issue. Things usually work better if there's a discussion and some sort of plan beforehand in terms of help, playing over the top, and pulling him from the basket.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 04-22-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Serious playground baller

Any guys with some muscle? If so BOX OUT and not just make contact, get low and try to move him back.

Ok I would recommend you to try and play him from the side he normally dribbles and try to steal the ball. I mean it like try to play from his dominant side of the way he always dribble and always reach.

That dude is a TANK. Half court? No 3 second violation? AND he has a reliable hook?

Plus he's TALLER than all you guys?

You might as well count all his baskets as twos.

stop entrance pass, stay in front of him. re-define offense game, start draining 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Being that you guys were in middle school, I can understand how that'd be a tough situation. How old was this big guy? And did this happen at a public court or a school court? He must have not had very many basketball options in his area if he had to resort to playing against middle schoolers every single day. Also, depending on that guy's age, I'm having a hard time picturing him wanting to fight a slew of 12 year olds.

That said, if some things were a little different - let's say you guys were not middle schoolers and you were playing at your city's primary court - I wouldn't be able to have an issue with anyone trying to step in and play. Sometimes players (even big ones) just want to get out there and exercise.
    No, I was in middle school; hence, why I didn't play often. The rest of the guys were high schoolers, including the big guy. My 3 cousins were all between 10th & 11th grade at the time.

We played at a public park, which was literally across the street from my cousin's house.

These days when I play, if a big guy joins in, I allow it because I'm just playing for fun. I don't ever truly compete unless everyone else around me seems extremely into it.