Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    (-_-)(X_X)BB(9_9)(^_^) big baller's Avatar

Default Re: Maurice Cheeks FIRED!

bad move philly, u didnt even sign a new coach u let tht assistant take over....

Oh snap. This is getting out of hand. Which coach will be fired next week I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    This team would be better served with VanGundy as coach. They're built to play his style.
    No they aren't.

They are a horrible three point shooting team. The fact that their starting guard is Miller does not help much either.

Defensively he would help them, but offensively they wouldn't become much better unless they start acquiring some shooters. JVG loves to have the post surrounded by shooters, if you don't have that you won't be successful in his system.

The reason we always started slow under Van Gundy with the Rockets is because of the poor three point shooting starting the season.

Next: Move Dre Miller for Kaman in a 3way and send Dalembert to Chi for Hinrich.

National High School Star crounsa810's Avatar

I saw that the Assistant GM is taking over. Yeah, because thats gonna help. I really wish they had kept him. Sure, they're struggling, but you have Brand, who seems to be a curse if u want to win, and you have Igoudala who signed a contract and proceeded to play half as well as he did last year, same with Lou Williams. I really don't think the coach was the problem. Oh well.

Anyone by any chance know the record for number of coaches fired in a year? Because we may break that record, if we haven't already. Don't forget, we still have Theus and Iavaroni who haven't been fired yet, but will be soon. And then you have Jim O'Brien, who may be fired as well, and also Oklahoma's interim coach, and Mike Dunleavy, and then that may be all. Maybe. So thats the chance to have 10 coaches fired in one season. Crazy.

U would think that with all the available coaches, they would hire one instead of letting the assistant GM take over. Not so smart.

madvillain

This is really too bad, he's one of the better coaches in the league and didn't deserve the same fate as Mitchell in Toronto and Wittman in Minny. Just another example of the ridiculous coaching carousel in the NBA - granted the Sixers haven't looked great thus far, but tell me how 9-14 is some gigantic disappointment for a young team trying to work an all-star into the offense.

At the very least Mo Cheeks deserved the benefit of 30 games or so to try to get things going. I blame the players - you get exactly the player you're missing in Brand, and you can't step your sh*t up?
    Last edited by new noise; 12-13-2008 at 02:03 PM.

Sixers fired Mo Cheeks and assistant GM Tony Dileo will coach the remainder of the season. Sixers problems were in abundance from defense, to managing players during a game. Usually coaches get a raw deal but he was apart of the problem. I just dont know why they gave him an extension. As far as Tony Dileo he has coached overseas in Germany for 10yrs. Both mens and womans teams. Wrote a book about american players transition overseas among other things like the rule change difference and so forth.

So he might be a D'Antoni. Dunno. If I'm a player on the Sixers? I'm worried about my job. Trades could be next.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Basketball#1
    He's a pretty good coach. I think he'll get another job soon. I think he was one of the classiest NBA coaches. I'll never forget how he helped the girl with the star spangled banner in Portland. Great NBA moment!

ya that was unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder
    Horrible news. Sounds like a kneejerk reaction after a trademark slow start from Mo.
    Agreed. The sixers had a slow start last year too. Its a shame he was fired, I think Mo is one of the better coaches in the NBA. I am sure he won't have a hard time finding another job.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Sixers fired Mo Cheeks and assistant GM Tony Dileo will coach the remainder of the season. Sixers problems were in abundance from defense, to managing players during a game. Usually coaches get a raw deal but he was apart of the problem. I just dont know why they gave him an extension. As far as Tony Dileo he has coached overseas in Germany for 10yrs. Both mens and womans teams. Wrote a book about american players transition overseas among other things like the rule change difference and so forth.

So he might be a D'Antoni. Dunno. If I'm a player on the Sixers? I'm worried about my job. Trades could be next.
    YAY!

lebron is a certified coach killer.

Quote Originally Posted by crounsa810
    U would think that with all the available coaches, they would hire one instead of letting the assistant GM take over. Not so smart.
    What available coach is going to come to a new team where they have to learn all the players and figure how best to use them. It would be months before they figured that out and they'd essentially be a lame duck coach anyway. No, if a team fires a coach midseason then they'll almost always hire from within the organization with the understanding that the guy will probably be gone in the offseason.

Yeah but I don't know. I think they could find a coach that could fit in to the team even in the middle of the season. Look how many are available there's gotta be one who could do it.

WTF, Brand has been terrible. How can they blame Cheeks? These teams ain't playing this year