Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Default Re: Euroleague points per game leaders

Quote Originally Posted by Figlo
    Rubio

Euroleague: 6pts & 3ast 40%FG

NBA: 10pts & 7ast 50%FG

It's weird isn't it?
    I remember Bargs averages being worse in the EuroLeague compared to his NBA rookie season, too. Also, if NBA was vastly superior to the EuroLeague, why, when NBA teams play European teams lately, don't they blow them out huge every single time?

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch

100% Bosnian.
    He represent us, he basically is one of us

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman
    Spanoulis widely regarded NBA scrub is averaging almost 20 points a game shooting 60% on 2 pointers & over 40% on 3 pointers.

Weird isn't it?
    It's not weird. He doesn't have the athleticism, skill or basketball IQ to hang in the NBA. While Rubio obviously does.

If you don't have that it doesn't matter how well you can score the basketball against lower level competition.

I've never preferred the Euroleague to the NBA, but this whole "this scrub Spanoulis did this and that in the Euroleague and did nothing in the NBA" has got boring, even for trolling standards against some person. It can be easily pointed out that players with much better NBA careers/numbers fail to post better or even equal numbers in the Euroleague. If Spanoulis averaging 20 ppg on 60% FG is a sign of Euroleague's weakness, what is Vujacic averaging 13 ppg on 38%? The more athletic Jordan Farmar averaging 14 ppg on 50%? Of course, every good troll will convincingly ignore all this or, at best, will post more examples of NBA scrubs that post good Euroleague numbers, as if this will nullify what I've already posted.
    Matter of fact is, nobody should judge a player's value based on what he did in his rookie season, especially if he's an international player, playing for a good team and under a coach who has never been known for his cooperative spirit towards rookies and internationals. Hell, a much better team, the Spurs, allegedly asked Spanoulis to play for them and offered him a better role than the Rockets. How is this for a "scrub"?
    Freakin' Steve Nash, among the GOAT shooters and passers, averaged a meager 3/1/2 in his rookie season (on mediocre FG%'s as well). Another GOAT level shooter, Stojakovic? 8/3/2, on 38% FG. The GOAT European? 8/3/1. And no, it's not that important that Spanoulis was 1-3 years older than them. If Dirk develops in Germany and goes to the NBA at the age of 27-28, he won't suddenly drop 25/9, lead his team to a 67-15 record and win the MVP as a rookie, not even close. Same for the others.
    What these guys definitely had over Spanoulis was they were mentally stronger and more determined to succeed in the NBA. Spanoulis preferred to stay back in Europe. I'll hold his lack of determination against him, but not his supposed lack of talent, because he has plenty, and no scrub rookie season in the NBA will tell me otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    It's not weird. He doesn't have the athleticism, skill or basketball IQ to hang in the NBA. While Rubio obviously does.

If you don't have that it doesn't matter how well you can score the basketball against lower level competition.
    Are you serious now? Since when is the NBA putting that much emphasis on coaching, team play and basketball IQ? Because, last time I checked, guys like Iverson who shoot at 40-42% from the field and yet still have the nerve to take 25 shots per game only thrive in the NBA. Vujacic is taking less than half as many shots in Europe and is considered a chucker.
    Since when are good Europeans NOT known for their basketball IQ? And how did you notice the basketball IQ of a player you rarely, if ever, got to see play in the NBA?
    Skill? As I posted before, a guy that averages 20 ppg on 60% FG (and lots of assists, as well) in the 2nd best league in the world can't be unskilled, and supposedly more talented players than him that fail to do so have no excuse, in case you bring up the "it doesn't matter what you do in a much weaker league" excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Are you serious now? Since when is the NBA putting that much emphasis on coaching, team play and basketball IQ? Because, last time I checked, guys like Iverson who shoot at 40-42% from the field and yet still have the nerve to take 25 shots per game only thrive in the NBA. Vujacic is taking less than half as many shots in Europe and is considered a chucker.
    Since when are good Europeans NOT known for their basketball IQ? And how did you notice the basketball IQ of a player you rarely, if ever, got to see play in the NBA?
    Skill? As I posted before, a guy that averages 20 ppg on 60% FG (and lots of assists, as well) in the 2nd best league in the world can't be unskilled, and supposedly more talented players than him that fail to do so have no excuse, in case you bring up the "it doesn't matter what you do in a much weaker league" excuse.
    There have been plenty of players in the NBA who played at a very high level despite a lack of athletic ability. Especially at the point guard spot. Players significantly less athletic than Spanoulis have thrived in the NBA.

If he had the skill and IQ, he could have used that to his advantage. High IQ players are always an asset to a team. The rest of the league "doesn't emphasize" this? Great! That only means there is more opportunity to take advantage of that.

I feel devotion Fiba basketball's Avatar

I think that Spanoulis played bad in Nba because he wasnt used to be playing against more athletic players . If most unathletic pg from Euroleague came to Nba he would play the same because he would be use to play against more athletic players than him.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    There have been plenty of players in the NBA who played at a very high level despite a lack of athletic ability. Especially at the point guard spot. Players significantly less athletic than Spanoulis have thrived in the NBA.
    True. It wasn't me though that made the claims about athleticism. Spanoulis had decent athleticism, especially for a white guy, more than decent skill and bball IQ, but very low determination.

If he had the skill and IQ, he could have used that to his advantage. High IQ players are always an asset to a team. The rest of the league "doesn't emphasize" this? Great! That only means there is more opportunity to take advantage of that.
    Which is exactly why, even after a poor rookie season, he was still chosen by the Spurs, one of the smartest teams in the last *add whichever number >10 you want here* years.

Let me rephrase it like this: If a player managed to play for Zeljko Obradovic (one of the most perfectionist coaches you'll ever see) for many seasons (and left only after deciding himself to), that qualifies his bball IQ as high. Obradovic has cut/not expanded the contracts of some former/later NBA players throughout the years because of failing to adapt to the team's logic and systems, and Obradovic had been a part of his team long before Spanoulis, so it's not as if Spanoulis was some kind of non-negotiable to leave star player that didn't make it an easy option for his coach to waive him.

Loserville USA FireMcFailPlease's Avatar

whole lot of 8 or 9th players off the bench in the nba on that list

Banned

Anyone Notice that Sergio Rodriguez and Nicholas Batum are both top 3 in assists per game and Sonny Weems is fifth in scoring....

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

if euorleague posts in it it's just gonna have to get locked until Jeff starts giving a shit

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    Anyone Notice that Sergio Rodriguez and Nicholas Batum are both top 3 in assists per game and Sonny Weems is fifth in scoring....
    Did you also notice that Batum shot 40% from the field, and led the league in turnovers at 5 per game, while playing on a bad team?