Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Playing with people who can't play(dribble pass make a layup etc.)

Got Damn... Anybody else get mad as hell and feel like walking out playing these pick up games in the summer? Your wide open to go up for a dunk all someone has to do is pass it to you and they throw the baddest pass in the world that gets tipped and stuffs it up, someone who gets the ball and thinks he can drive it to the lane through 5 dudes and loses it on the first dribble, you start playing the point and you pass it and never get the ball back... dammmmm I'm mad as hell never again will I play with amateurs again it's not even worth it messes with my god damn emotions.

Even worse the guy who gets the ball and is wide open can take it to the rack and just shoots the ball... wtf is up with that?

NBA Superstar

Default Re: Playing with people who can't play(dribble pass make a layup etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Marv_Albert
    Your wide open to go up for a dunk all someone has to do is pass it to you and they throw the baddest pass in the world that gets tipped and stuffs it up
    I despise that. In my particular circumstances, our team would create a turnover and I'd be out in the open floor. A dunk would appear imminent. All I'd need was a solid chest pass from my teammate. However, there was this one guy who'd always throw underhand-scoop outlets that'd then take three times as long to arrive and shut down any previously available fast break opportunities. He thought he was being flashy and stylistic. Very frustrating.

Learning to shoot layups

A lot of times people are uncomfortable and nervous in the role and it makes them worse than they are. Worst thing u can do is coach amateurs in pickup basketball IMO. A: Because they never have had any real coaching or proper techniques taught to them.... unless it something simple like go under the screen let him shoot. B: They have a "I have x amount of skills i can do it all".

Basically if your clearly the best player on your team. They cant do everything you do, so all u can do is try to make them feel comfortable in their role and let them play to their strengths.

You be surprised how many people will air ball 5x in a row then because u actually gave them the ball instead of being selfish will hit the game winning 3 or something. But i understand where your coming from..but like u said its PICKUP so u know it is what it is.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by C_lake2802
    A lot of times people are uncomfortable and nervous in the role and it makes them worse than they are. Worst thing u can do is coach amateurs in pickup basketball IMO. A: Because they never have had any real coaching or proper techniques taught to them.... unless it something simple like go under the screen let him shoot. B: They have a "I have x amount of skills i can do it all".
    I agree with your opinion. When I play pick up I usually do not pick the best players on the floor. I kind of like being the underdog. Anyone can win a pickup game with a stacked team, its much more challenging to win with players that aren't so great.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
    I agree with your opinion. When I play pick up I usually do not pick the best players on the floor. I kind of like being the underdog. Anyone can win a pickup game with a stacked team, its much more challenging to win with players that aren't so great.
    I agree that a challenge is great. However, my favorite types of challenges don't come from playing with teammates who aren't good. Instead, the best case scenario would be two competent teams going head to head (which I know is not always possible). I suppose skill is all relative, but if I'm running with a team that is low on basketball logic (ill-advised passes in routine situations, extremely poor shot selection, etc.) it can be fun to go into take over mode and try to pull out a W but it's not preferable.

Essentially, being the man (and the 2nd man, and the 3rd man) is good for a challenge, but can also be quite frustrating.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I agree that a challenge is great. However, my favorite types of challenges don't come from playing with teammates who aren't good. Instead, the best case scenario would be two competent teams going head to head (which I know is not always possible). I suppose skill is all relative, but if I'm running with a team that is low on basketball logic (ill-advised passes in routine situations, extremely poor shot selection, etc.) it can be fun to go into take over mode and try to pull out a W but it's not preferable.

Essentially, being the man (and the 2nd man, and the 3rd man) is good for a challenge, but can also be quite frustrating.
    I usually run the point and try to only give players the ball when they have a good shot or have an advantage on their defender. Even if the other team is more skilled I can still play to my advantages

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
    I usually run the point and try to only give players the ball when they have a good shot or have an advantage on their defender. Even if the other team is more skilled I can still play to my advantages
    Right, I understand. And I knew there was a chance we both just had different definitions of low level basketball players. Low level to me are the guys who 1) Don't want to move on offense 2) Camp on the arc despite being horrible shooters and 3) Have a low chance of scoring at the rim even with a clear advantage on their defender. Yes, it can be fun attacking the offensive boards when you know your teammate's going to clank any look they get, but I still prefer semi-knowledgeable ball players. At some point, setting the table for a teammate all game only to watch them muff open looks is not as fulfilling as one would be led to believe, even in victory.

National High School Star

For a start there was a time when all of you couldn't or didn't know how to play. My main problem is with people who don't know how to play but don't make any sort or effort to get better or put any energy into at least trying. I have a pretty good knowledge of how to play and where to be, plus different moves and techniques. I constantly help my team by teaching and positively crittisizing their play. If the listen as put what I teach into motion to the beat of their abilities, I'm fine with that. But when they disregard it and believe they are already the best, then we got a problem. I myself and always seeking more knowledge and skills to get better

I don't have this problem because I always handle the ball...but...

Ball players learn from experience, and running the fast break doesn't happen that often. This makes it hard for inexperienced people to gain confidence and skill in running the break.

Of course it pisses everyone off when they are missed for an open shot/dunk.

I learned how to be a great passer by forcing myself to not shoot. I just told myself "no matter what, find an open man." This made me a hell of a lot better off screens and penetration.

More than anything, it pisses me off if I'm playing pick-up and a player is trying to do waaaay more than his skill level allows. It's so greedy. It makes me cringe.
    Last edited by Pushxx; 12-09-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by Ai2death
    For a start there was a time when all of you couldn't or didn't know how to play. My main problem is with people who don't know how to play but don't make any sort or effort to get better or put any energy into at least trying. I have a pretty good knowledge of how to play and where to be, plus different moves and techniques. I constantly help my team by teaching and positively crittisizing their play. If the listen as put what I teach into motion to the beat of their abilities, I'm fine with that. But when they disregard it and believe they are already the best, then we got a problem. I myself and always seeking more knowledge and skills to get better
    I agree 100% right here. If i play with you i dont care if your not any good. But I DO EXPECT you to play with energy and want to win. Yes at one point we were all inexpereinced low level players, but you have to want to do better for yourself. And i find out more times than not people dont care, and make excuses like " Im a football player, i jus play for fun".....

I play for fun to but its no fun in losing every game. Dont mind if we lose and we try but not giving any effort is inexcusable and honestly why the hell did u even come out

/rant

In Lithuania such problem is not possible

National High School Star

What's worse then playing with people who can't play, is playing with people who don't play D. I hate it when my team mates just sit in the offense and cherry pick. As PG I really hate passing to them and it's basically rewarding them for doing it, the only problem is if I don't pads to them, the team gets angry at me cause we're not getting the easy basket. -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Ai2death
    What's worse then playing with people who can't play, is playing with people who don't play D. I hate it when my team mates just sit in the offense and cherry pick. As PG I really hate passing to them and it's basically rewarding them for doing it, the only problem is if I don't pads to them, the team gets angry at me cause we're not getting the easy basket. -.-
    Dude stand your ground. F-k cherry pickers. Just don't pass to him and ignore him and the people that bitch.

If he doesn't wanna play defense, f-k that...

I'm a PG too and I don't put up with sh-t like that.

when u see they cant even dribble, it`s time to leave

it`s worse when they are just sub mediocre and they take bad shots that cost you the game

scrubs you can just quit early and not bother waste your energy and time, mediocre players are a different story

ya i just went totally off topic

Not airballing my layups anymore

The worst is the guy with no shot who puts it up every time he touches the ball. It shows a fundamental lack of respect and understanding for your teammates and the game. These are usually the people who are the hardest to reason with too, who get super defensive when you offer constructive criticism.

If you don't have self-awareness and a sense of what your strengths and weaknesses as a player are, I don't want to be on your team. If there are better shooters than you on the court, why are you putting yourself in that role?

My biggest strengths are as a scorer and a facilitator...I can score in a lot of different ways, but if there is a better scorer on my team I'll be feeding him the ball. I'm not a great ball handler under pressure, so I try not to put myself in those situation.

I'm just always like, how do you not know that your shot sucks? You have to know. If I couldn't make a jumper, I wouldn't take jumpers. If all I could do well is set screens and box out, that's all I'd do.

The other thing is with hustle and defense.....if you aren't good skill wise you can always make it up for it, but you have to offer something to the game. Guys who don't have game.....and don't play hard.....why are you even there?

I don't think you need to have had formal coaching to grasp these concepts either, it's just simple common sense and basketball IQ. One of my favorite people to play with was a friend who'd roll to pickup games with me who had never played organized basketball after like 5th grade probably, but he'd been a soccer player, and he almost played basketball like it was soccer....real funky and unorthadox game, but he was smart and a good athlete and really unselfish so he was awesome to play with even though he didn't do things "the right way". He'd throw up some butt ugly shots, but because he'd do things like crash the boards after his own shots, and transition real well between offense and defense....he totally made up it