Local High School Star SunsCaptain's Avatar

Default Catch and shoot or off the dribble?

Just a thread to see what your opinions are.

For me I shoot off the dribble I can shoot a shot from anywhere, not looking at the basket, fading, spinning, leaning. on a sprint, lean, lay-up, any scenario you can think of for shooting on the run and off the dribble...oh man its 100%

If I get a pass and know I cant dribble the shot gets somewhat worse. I am not a stationary player. When that pass comes and I cant dribble I have to either pump fake or post up or try to drive. For some reason I need to be in rhythm.

Another question on the same topic.... Do you guys prefer to dribble left and shoot right? Or dribble right and shoot right?

For me its dribble off the left hand gather to the right and shoot. That is money. For some reason dribbling from the right and shooting from the right isn't as good for me.

Left -> Right for me.
    Last edited by SunsCaptain; 04-05-2012 at 04:24 AM.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Default Re: Catch and shoot or off the dribble?

Quote Originally Posted by SunsCaptain
    Just a thread to see what your opinions are.

For me I shoot off the dribble I can shoot a shot from anywhere, not looking at the basket, fading, spinning, leaning. on a sprint, lean, lay-up, any scenario you can think of for shooting on the run and off the dribble...oh man its 100%

If I get a pass and know I cant dribble the shot gets somewhat worse. I am not a stationary player. When that pass comes and I cant dribble I have to either pump fake or post up or try to drive. For some reason I need to be in rhythm.

Another question on the same topic.... Do you guys prefer to dribble left and shoot right? Or dribble right and shoot right?

For me its dribble off the left hand gather to the right and shoot. T
    hat is money. For some reason dribbling from the right and shooting from the right isn't as good for me.

Left -> Right for me.
    I totally feel you on this one.Especially, I love to do this to shoot a fade away jumper(one legged like dirk), it just feel so natural. But other than that, I suck shit on pull up jumpers.I can shoot after some easy calm dribbling, but whenever Im putting some strong crossovers and pull up out of nowhere its just brick city.
    I would rate myself great catch and shooter, but bad pull up shooter.

PS. I once hit one legged fader to the left and 1 three pointer.One of the best shots I ever made...

Serious playground baller

I shoot off the dribble because I usually play point guard. I usually shoot right so I also like to dribble left and shoot right.

Yea I noticed as well that I am more accurate on left hand dribble pull up. I think its because your right foot is already forward and hence your shooting shoulder is aligned to the basket.

Its harder to do this on right hand dribble, thats why when I do the hesitation pull up, I do between the legs to the left not right, and it feels more effortless.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Jyap9675
    Yea I noticed as well that I am more accurate on left hand dribble pull up. I think its because your right foot is already forward and hence your shooting shoulder is aligned to the basket.

Its harder to do this on right hand dribble, thats why when I do the hesitation pull up, I do between the legs to the left not right, and it feels more effortless.
    And because its harder to get your hand under the ball off of a hesitation move when its in your right hand

NBA Superstar

I'll take a spot up jumper any day of the week over a pull-up off the dribble. I feel I am competent in both scenarios, but spot-ups are very much the better and higher percentage shot because my feet are already squared, there's a good chance I'm shooting because I have a clean look, and if the pass is right, I'm in rhythm.

However, regarding the right to left dribble pull-up, you guys may never believe me but over the years I've developed a strangely accurate one-step fallaway that some may refer to as being Dirk's move, but it actually came directly from this clip of Steve Francis, who pulls it off twice in this game (9 and 24 seconds): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOJSFki2qsA#t=0m9s . Somehow, it's a terribly accurate shot, perhaps more than if I were to correctly pull up for the routine jumper. I don't over-use it, and I still pull up like normal more times than not, but it's been a real enough move for others to refer to it as my shot over the years. Somehow, that maneuver squares me up and creates an insanely deft touch.

I always find it easier to do a pump then one dribble pull-up. It gets difficult to square up whenever you are going side to side but if you keep your dribble efficient and on a straight line it shouldn't be too difficult.

Also, you can learn to be in rythmn on a catch and shoot jumper. Give yourself a foot or so to step into the shot in order to keep a ryhtmn.

Catch and shoot for 3-PT shots.

Off the dribble for mid-range.