Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: We're flying Stealth Bombers over South Korea

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    I read an article that talks about if a war breaks out, how china would be involved but not how any of this think. Basically they'd be fighting a war against North Korean forces on their border who would invade china. North Korea would basically be in a situation of totally ****ed lashing out at everyone and everything. China also would be worried about unstable forces in their own region getting their hands on nukes. Just an utter total disaster.

What would happen basically is North Korea would lob artillery everywhere and do a lot of random damage to south korea, possibly china, and possiby japan. then the US bombers would come across the border and flatten everything. Then we'd need to move into the country, basically we'd paratrooper into the capital and be fighting door to door while we slowly moved up the country 100% blind while china yelled STOP in public and begged us to move faster in private at the same time they stacked troops on the border to keep koreans from flooding into china.

It would be BAD. It wouldn't be the end of the world like people predict (because i think people assume China would fight on N.Korea's side, no ****ing way). But it would be bad.

But it would never happen because the second it happens, N.Korea is no more, and if you were king of your own country, would you be rushing for it to no longer exist?
    pretty much this

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    nothing will happen. the second North Korea thinks of launching something they'd get blown off the map. They can't be that stupid as to actually mobilize against the US. North Korea puffing its chest by blowing up a warship and bombing some islands. It's a tragedy that people were killed in those attacks but in terms of overall threat to the United States specifically, it's kinda a ridiculous.
    The problem is that in North Korea decisions aren't exactly made collectively. Might be a strange comparison - but think of N.Korea as the Joker and the US as Batman.

US can blow North Korea off the map, but they're going to take serious heat for it in the international community - especially if attacks spillover into China.

Not to mention the people actively involved in the attack very likely exit the country before then.

I don't think anyone doubts the US capability to destroy shit, but some might care about it less. In a world where the US every action is highly scrutinized, having North Korea being destroyed might fit the agenda of the people who plan to attack them

   

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
    The problem is that in North Korea decisions aren't exactly made collectively.
    exactly... it's one little prick on top and a bunch of ass-kissers jockeying for position just beneath him. most of the rest are just zombies at this point.

US can blow North Korea off the map, but they're going to take serious heat for it in the international community - especially if attacks spillover into China.
    dude, dude... bush junior isn't prez, anymore. cowboy diplomacy ain't the order of the day at this point.

this would be WAY different than iraq... this would be a guaranteed international coalition event, i'm thinking... with china's arms mostly tied.

china has way bigger problems to worry about and obama isn't remotely stupid enough to pull a GWB. and the global economy sure as hell doesn't need a major war right now... or does it??

hmm

Decent playground baller

North Korea rocket units on standby to attack US bases
    Kim Jong-un ordered the rocket units to be put on standby after the US flew two stealth bombers over the Korean peninsula

guardian.co.uk, Thursday 28 March 2013 19.49 EDT

The US has flown two B-2 Spirit bombers on practice runs over South Korea, responding to a series of North Korean threats. Photograph: Reuters
    North Korea put its rocket units on standby on Friday to attack US military bases in South Korea and the Pacific, after the United States flew two nuclear-capable stealth bombers over the Korean peninsula in a rare show of force.

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un signed off on the order at a midnight meeting of top generals and "judged the time has come to settle accounts with the US imperialists in view of the prevailing situation", the official KCNA news agency said.

On Thursday, the United States flew two radar-evading B-2 Spirit bombers on practice runs over South Korea, responding to a series of North Korean threats. They flew from the United States and back in what appeared to be the first exercise of its kind, designed to show America's ability to conduct long-range, precision strikes "quickly and at will", the US military said.

The news of Kim's response was unusually swift.

"He finally signed the plan on technical preparations of strategic rockets of the KPA, ordering them to be standby for fire so that they may strike any time the US mainland, its military bases in the operational theatres in the Pacific, including Hawaii and Guam, and those in South Korea," KCNA said.

The North has an arsenal of Soviet-era Scud missiles that can hit South Korea but its longer-range missiles are untested. Independent assessments of its missile capability suggest it may have theoretical capacity to hit US bases in Japan and Guam.

The North has launched a daily barrage of threats since early this month when the United States and the South, allies in the 1950-53 Korean War, began routine military drills.

The South and the United States have said the drills are purely defensive in nature and that no incident has taken place in the decades they have been conducted in various forms.

The United States also flew B-52 bombers over South Korea earlier this week.

The North has put its military on highest readiness to fight what it says are hostile forces conducting war drills. Its young leader has previously given "final orders" for its military to wage revolutionary war with the South.

Despite the tide of hostile rhetoric from Pyongyang, it has kept open a joint economic zone with the South which generates $2bn a year in trade, money the impoverished state can ill-afford to lose.

Pyongyang has also cancelled an armistice agreement with the United States that ended the Korean War and cut all communications hotlines with US forces, the United Nations and South Korea.

"The North Koreans have to understand that what they're doing is very dangerous," U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel told reporters at the Pentagon.

"We must make clear that these provocations by the North are taken by us very seriously and we'll respond to that."

The US military said that its B-2 bombers had flown more than 6,500 miles (10,461 km) to stage a trial bombing raid from their bases in Missouri as part of the Foal Eagle war drills being held with South Korea.

The bombers dropped inert munitions on the Jik Do Range, in South Korea, and then returned to the continental United States in a single, continuous mission, the military said.

Thursday's drill was the first time B-2s flew round-trip from the mainland United States over South Korea and dropped inert munitions, a Pentagon spokeswoman said.

Victor Cha, a North Korea expert at the Centre for Strategic and International Studies, said the drill fits within the context of ramped efforts by the Pentagon to deter the North from acting upon any of its threats.

Asked whether he thought the latest moves could further aggravate tensions on the peninsula, Cha, a former White House official, said: "I don't think the situation can get any more aggravated than it already is."

Despite the shrill rhetoric from Pyongyang, few believe North Korea, formally known as the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, will risk starting a full-out war.

Still, Hagel, who on 15 March announced he was bolstering missile defenses over the growing North Korea threat, said all of the provocations by the North had to be taken seriously.

"Their very provocative actions and belligerent tone, it has ratcheted up the danger and we have to understand that reality," Hagel said, renewing a warning that the US military was ready for "any eventuality" on the peninsula.

North Korea conducted a third nuclear weapons test in February in breach of UN sanctions and despite warnings from China, its one major diplomatic ally.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...ndby-attack-us

Who here has popcorn?

   

do you even HAVE popcorn in china?

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    I read an article that talks about if a war breaks out, how china would be involved but not how any of this think. Basically they'd be fighting a war against North Korean forces on their border who would invade china. North Korea would basically be in a situation of totally ****ed lashing out at everyone and everything. China also would be worried about unstable forces in their own region getting their hands on nukes. Just an utter total disaster.

What would happen basically is North Korea would lob artillery everywhere and do a lot of random damage to south korea, possibly china, and possiby japan. then the US bombers would come across the border and flatten everything. Then we'd need to move into the country, basically we'd paratrooper into the capital and be fighting door to door while we slowly moved up the country 100% blind while china yelled STOP in public and begged us to move faster in private at the same time they stacked troops on the border to keep koreans from flooding into china.

It would be BAD. It wouldn't be the end of the world like people predict (because i think people assume China would fight on N.Korea's side, no ****ing way). But it would be bad.

But it would never happen because the second it happens, N.Korea is no more, and if you were king of your own country, would you be rushing for it to no longer exist?
    This right here is the crux of everything and the reason why it is somewhat different this time around. China has publicly rebuked North Korea several times now and for the first time, I feel like when they say "We are interested solely in peace in the region" they actually mean it. They stand to lose too much. I don't believe they have any interest in shipping Chinese troops into a conflict between North and South Korea this time around and I'm fairly certain Beijing has already made under-the-radar contact with Washington saying this.

Quote Originally Posted by Derka
    This right here is the crux of everything and the reason why it is somewhat different this time around. China has publicly rebuked North Korea several times now and for the first time, I feel like when they say "We are interested solely in peace in the region" they actually mean it. They stand to lose too much. I don't believe they have any interest in shipping Chinese troops into a conflict between North and South Korea this time around and I'm fairly certain Beijing has already made under-the-radar contact with Washington saying this.
    The fact is the worse North Korea acts the less influence China has. It essentially starts acting to piss off the US. It's basically saying LOOK AT ME US LOOK AT ME while China sits in the corner rolling it's eyes. China has no control at all.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

It is hard to know just how out of touch with reality lil Kim is...I mean I am starting to wonder if he really does think he could take down the US...

He at least has to be under the impression that he is scaring us with his threats...and that alone shows that he is out of touch with reality

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    It is hard to know just how out of touch with reality lil Kim is...I mean I am starting to wonder if he really does think he could take down the US...

He at least has to be under the impression that he is scaring us with his threats...and that alone shows that he is out of touch with reality
    He does. They all do...

Decent playground baller

He's unpredictable that's what makes him dangerous.

Cod needs some new material

   

nah... lil kim is acting completely predictably if you understand the situation he's in and understand basic facts of human nature.

if you were the NSA or a mediocre shrink, you would have seen all this coming many years ago and kept your fly's buzz in the president's ear... if you were the NSA, that is.

n. korea's situation is brutal... even with their death squads, labor camps, brainwashing, and critical lifeline to china. it doesn't matter if the petty puppet master is lil kim, junta du jour, or some other wooden chip trying to stand upright in the wind. sooner or later desperation always strikes in these situations.

i'm mostly an idiot in these affairs, and yet here i am trying to soothe a thread full of uptight chicken-littles. how crazy is that?

'What You're Doing Is Weird And Wrong,' Small Voice In Back Of Kim Jong-Un's Head Reports
    PYONGYANG—While performing his duties as Supreme Leader of North Korea Tuesday, Kim Jong-un reportedly heard a small voice in the back of his mind telling him that his actions over the last six months have been very strange and wrong.

Sources confirmed that the tiny voice, which spoke to Kim at various points throughout the day, quietly suggested that the four-star military general and Worker Party’s secretary is a weird person with out-of-whack priorities who acts in a way that makes little sense to anyone.

“You are a very odd man who does things that are bizarre and indicative of a mentally ill person,” the little voice reportedly said following a speech in which Kim issued apocalyptic threats to enemies in the West and predicted the destruction of America. “The things you say on a daily basis are not only extremely creepy and off-putting, but they are also very wrong. You should probably not be the leader of a country.”

“Stop that,” the voice continued as Kim issued another threat to the global community. “Stop saying these weird things. You’re making people frightened and uncomfortable.”

According to sources, the faintly perceptible voice located in the recesses of Kim’s mind continued communicating with the dictator during the presentation of a propaganda film depicting the nuclear annihilation of the United States’ Eastern Seaboard. The soft whisper told the North Korean leader that the film was not only strange-looking because it was clearly rendered from a video game, but also filled with factual inaccuracies. The voice went on to note that when Kim Jong-un endorsed the video and shared it with millions of people all over the world, it made him seem like he didn’t know what was going on and that something was deeply wrong with him psychologically.

The voice then openly asked the dictator whether any of this was registering at all.

I really think lil Kim is bluffing

To all of the people who have knowledge about NK, who are their allies? China? Russia?