NBA Legend and Hall of Famer SoCalMike's Avatar

Default The Sterling Effect

So, firstly, I am not a Clippers fan. I am a lifelong Lakers fan, but I am here to ask an honest question, so please read on.

Over the years, I have noticed that the Clippers have had good teams at times, only to have Sterling screw it up by being cheap and letting great talent get away. Ultimately, this history has caused the Clips to be one of the laughing stocks of the NBA (not last year!) because of Mr. Sterling's antics. I can only imagine that if you are a true Clipper fan, that this would be incredibly frustrating and painful.

Anyway, so the key question I have for the Clipper community is whether or not you feel comfortable for the long haul that Sterling has finally realized that spending money on players can actually help you make more money if you create winning teams.

With all the recent Clipper success, I just keep thinking that Sterling will do something stupid and screw up the whole thing.

So, do any Clipper fans wonder this too? Or, do you think that Sterling has learned his lessons.

3 Ball like Piatkowski dab0yech0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMike
    So, firstly, I am not a Clippers fan. I am a lifelong Lakers fan, but I am here to ask an honest question, so please read on.

Over the years, I have noticed that the Clippers have had good teams at times, only to have Sterling screw it up by being cheap and letting great talent get away. Ultimately, this history has caused the Clips to be one of the laughing stocks of the NBA (not last year!) because of Mr. Sterling's antics. I can only imagine that if you are a true Clipper fan, that this would be incredibly frustrating and painful.

Anyway, so the key question I have for the Clipper community is whether or not you feel comfortable for the long haul that Sterling has finally realized that spending money on players can actually help you make more money if you create winning teams.

With all the recent Clipper success, I just keep thinking that Sterling will do something stupid and screw up the whole thing.

So, do any Clipper fans wonder this too? Or, do you think that Sterling has learned his lessons.

I dont think Sterling actually cared about our ballclub until Mike Dunleavy was hired. Dunleavy used to work on Wall Street and he has alot to do with Sterling spending his money. Dunleavy has been very influential on Mr. Sterling's decisions because of the simple fact he used to work in the stock market and because he knows how to handle his money.

Saw a basketball once

Default think about it?

Quote Originally Posted by dab0yech0
    I dont think Sterling actually cared about our ballclub until Mike Dunleavy was hired. Dunleavy used to work on Wall Street and he has alot to do with Sterling spending his money. Dunleavy has been very influential on Mr. Sterling's decisions because of the simple fact he used to work in the stock market and because he knows how to handle his money.
    Ive ben a fan a long time and i must say that you are all wrong THINK ABOUT IT? You name me one player we have had- one that wanted to stay realy-two, that deserved max or even close to it.Every player that left the clipps has proved to Mr. sterling by their stats since they left that they arnt worth it. You must be smart to not wast money on average talent and trust your judgment.sterling is smart-smarter than people give him credit for. Thanks Mr. Sterling for waiting for the right time to spend your money on players that are worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by underdogg1
    Ive ben a fan a long time and i must say that you are all wrong THINK ABOUT IT? You name me one player we have had- one that wanted to stay realy-two, that deserved max or even close to it.Every player that left the clipps has proved to Mr. sterling by their stats since they left that they arnt worth it. You must be smart to not wast money on average talent and trust your judgment.sterling is smart-smarter than people give him credit for. Thanks Mr. Sterling for waiting for the right time to spend your money on players that are worth every penny.
    Well, you are the first one I have ever heard come up with this theory. Seems more like a theory of convenience that was created after the facts. Just about everyone else on the planet would disagree with this, I believe.

Donald Sterling is actually very smart, here's an article you should read:

http://clippersdaily.com/articles/070105sterling1.html

http://clippersdaily.com/articles/070305sterling2.html

Just because he wouldn't overpay players makes him cheap? I'd rather have cap space then be stuck with no cap space like the Knicks

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMike

I have been a Clips fan for a very long time and have wished repeatedly that Donald sell the team. Since Dunleavy has arrived he has been spending money. I hope he keeps it up and continues to spend wisely.

Made that high school varsity squad

This is my first time on this particular board, so much love to my fellow Clips fans out there...

Anwyays, the biggest misconception is something a couple people already brought up eariler....Where the hell is this great talent the Clippers let get away?

Ken Norman? Danny Manning? Charles Smith? Ron Harper? Lamond Murray? Fat Mo Taylor? Derek Anderson? Lorenzen Wright? Lamar Odom? Michael Olowokandi?

Of those players I've mentioned, probably the only one who had sustained success he left was Ron Harper, but he from a star on the Clips to a role player on the Bulls and Lakers. The rest of them either left the NBA a few years after they left Los Angeles or are still barely in the league.

But then again, this doesn't reflect poorly on Sterling necessarily, but on Elgin Baylor. Baylor is supposingly the one in charge of making trades, signing free agents, and drafting players. To me, up until a few years ago, I felt that Elgin Baylor should have fired years ago, and I still kinda feel that way now. It's looking more and more that Mike Dunleavy is making more of the personnel moves, and Sterling has trusted Dunleavy more and more than probably Baylor anyways, from my view. With that being said, by looking at the messes in New York and Portland (and Golden State and Washington to a lesser extent), I respect Sterling only for him not having a very bloated payroll and wasting money on marginal players.

Die Hard Clippers Fan adiedanny's Avatar

I agree with underdogg1. Obviously you are a Laker Fan and don't know too much about the so called talent we had. All the stiffs we let go never did and are not tearing up in The NBA. I'll tell you what, the Team really miss fired on Lottery talent. A majority of them became bench warmers or roll players and a finger count of them became solid role players.

Guys, please don't make this a "Lakers vs. Clippers" issue.. I was pointing out a very REAL issue and I asked for people's opinions. If you have never heard these concerns before, you are living under a rock. I have heard it for years on the sports talk radio stations here in southern california.

If you have a differing opinion, i'd love to hear it.... just don't fall back on the "us vs. them" theme... its lame. Bring me a better game than that.

If I were a Clipper fan, it would certainly be in the back of my mind as the team is going through some good times.

It was a fair and honest question. Nothing I have said is meant to be antagonistic.

Dunking on everybody in the park lawlerslaw100's Avatar

Thumbs up Kosher Toko

Donald T tasted victory last year and this guy is extremely competitive and
    cutthroat in his businesses. One of his best friends in the sports biz is
    Evil Al. Davis is a frequent courtside guest of the enigma. Plus Donald T
    got in the NBA biz to beat his friend Ol Rummy Doc Buss and with the
    past 2 being better for the Clips than the Fakers, Donald T will have a
    trophy if he continues to listen to his defacto GM Mike Dunleavy.

Default Re: The Sterling Effect

Bump.... the Sterling Effect strikes again....

Banned

Default Re: The Sterling Effect

One thing I got out of this Sterling scandal is that no matter how much certain fans annoy me, it's refreshing to share the same views with posters I normally hate on because of their favorite teams or players. Especially player fans.