Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned

Default Re: The Elephant Whisperer Is Dead. The Elephants F*cking Knew.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamar Doom
    Or how about the dog that belonged to the dead solider that goes up and lays, clearly depressed, by his owners coffin?

sorry in advance for making you cry

that is horribly depressing... As a dog owner this is even sadder I love my dog

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    um...how exactly does that explain them knowing when someone far away dies?

I like miller's "they have an amazing sense of smell" much more than that...and I don't rule out anything like that either, I'm just saying no one should rule out spiritual factors either, this isn't the only time something like that has happened.
    I thought that you were talking about the fact that they cared that the dude died.. and yea I would much rather take their sense of smell and general life sense as an explanation. Animals can identify people and things through smell better than we can through sight.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    [COLOR="Red"]I thought that you were talking about the fact that they cared that the dude died..[/COLOR] and yea I would much rather take their sense of smell and general life sense as an explanation. Animals can identify people and things through smell better than we can through sight.
    no of course not, the "magic" part is that they knew when he died without being told...and went to his home

that would be an extremely strong sense of smell, but maybe that is possible, IDK

Fresh Kid Turned Rotten Lamar Doom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlonzoGOAT
    that is horribly depressing... As a dog owner this is even sadder I love my dog
    People that aren't dog people will just never know. It's a higher truth

You weren't asking me but I have two cents on it:

"smarter" is tricky and the short answer is no. Other animals (we're animals too remember) can't build spaceships or make movies. But there's animals ahead of us in all the five senses (we don't see, hear, smell, etc the best on the planet)- I think most modern science asserts "the five senses" is a rudimentary way of viewing our senses anyway (basically we have more than 5 and the standard "sight, taste, touch, hearing, smell" categories are a simplistic and narrow learning mnemonic) but it stands to reason that these animals could have senses that we can't fully understand. Unfair to assume that because we're atop the food chain (and running this rock son!) that we're the only sentient beings.

You hear about these dogs and cats (who i think are probably a step below the "intelligence" level of elephants, dolphins, etc) at cancer clinics who know when a patient is about to pass. You hear about these lizards who gather for eclipses. It's wild (no pun intended), there's definitely some deeper understanding in the animal kingdom.
    Hey man, I love this story. And i've had a deeper appreciation for elephants ever since ManuteBolforever posted a nice article about their rituals. I agree, other animals are much more complex than most humans give them credit, and learning about their adaptability and rituals is fascinating.

However, the phrase "animals are a lot smarter than most humans" is so retarded that it almost makes sense, at least in this particular case.

NBA Superstar

i'm real skeptical they knew, in fact it seems more staged than anything like someone maybe led them there. i just can't see them organizing a tribute at all, its too much of a custom/honorary thing for an animal of any kind to do imo. i figure they got more important stuff to do like surviving...

Banned

THA TRUTH

Yeah, I've got a black lab like that one. They're really loving and sweet by nature and really easy going. I worked at a summer camp the last four years, and my parents told me for the first few weeks I was gone, he'd spend big parts of the day laying by the back door waiting on me; especially at night because I let him sleep in my room. They said once it got dark and later at night (usually around 10-11 o'clock or so) he'd start scratching the door and whimpering.

Dogs in general are the shit, and I don't get how some people don't like them, unless they were brutally attacked by one or something as a kid.
    Last edited by KG215; 07-10-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Fresh Kid Turned Rotten Lamar Doom's Avatar

still crazy

Elephants have figured out the language of the universe more than humans have.

Local High School Star TheeBeast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    Elephants killed him, wanted his whore wife to know she's next.

Wait, too soon?