Default Perfecting The Spin Moves

The spin move is something I really want to add to my game. Ive seen it used before and when executed correctly can be deadly. Ive practiced it by myself lately and Ive gotten the footwork down. But I want to be able to use it in games and catch my defender with it.
    How would I set up the defender?

I rule the local playground

Default Re: Perfecting The Spin Moves

Quote Originally Posted by MannyO
    The spin move is something I really want to add to my game. Ive seen it used before and when executed correctly can be deadly. Ive practiced it by myself lately and Ive gotten the footwork down. But I want to be able to use it in games and catch my defender with it.
    are you talking spin move while dribbling or during/after a gather?

Learning to shoot layups

i do it on a fast break usually. I use my non shooting hand to drive turn to my strong side so it gives me a better chance at finishing. But if your in an isolation your probably want to give him a couple hesitations then do a strong drive maybe 2 bounces into the drive.. spin make sure to let the ball go and not carry it then continue the dribble with your other hand

something along these lines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSCDrPPSdfY

hope it helped

Local High School Star devin112's Avatar

There's really 2 types of spin moves- spin and keep going straight or spin sideways.

The spin and keep going right is great to get past your man and head towards the rim and leave him behind you.

You can also spin to laterally, like driving to the right then spin to the left side.

biggest tip for the spin is to POUND the ball hard and fast, catch it and then spin on ur pivot really fast. Don't do a long high dribble and spin with the ball really far from your body, it's slows u down and doesn't give u a lot of control. Do a fast hard dribble then spin hard. I usually like to use a low bounce when I spin, quick hard and low dribble into the spin.

pivot and spin like a top, unless ur spinning laterally then just get separation

hope that helps

Serious playground baller

Micha Lancaster has some really good videos on spin moves on youtube. He probably has one of best spin moves in the biz

NBA Superstar

I think it'd depend on what kind of spin move you're talking about. I hardly ever use a spin without picking up my dribble directly after. Magic Johnson used to do so semi-frequently but it wasn't really something he used to catch his defender with. Instead, it was more or less a reactionary maneuver to a quickly approaching defender. This can be seen in the two examples below:

Magic Spin 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRn22IR--tY

Magic Spin 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPffjTGiRoo

The spin I use most often in basketball is sort of a drop-step spin in a secondary fast break scenario and every now and again off a dribble drive in the half court. Similar to Magic's move, my spin isn't necessarily something I go into an offensive possession planning to execute. Instead, it's a reactionary move to being grossly overplayed to one side.

For instance, sometimes on a fast break, a defender will be racing alongside of me while I have a live dribble. When I see they'll be able to beat me to a spot on my way to the basket, I'll play into that and sort of allow them to overplay me, thus opening up a spin opportunity. I'm struggling to find a fast break clip on YouTube at the moment.

I do sometimes spin in the half-court as well, though it's usually the secondary portion of a move. As in, the spin will be pre-empted by an in-and-out dribble or cross. Since the spin move is supposed to be direction change it only makes sense that you'll need to get your body moving in one direction to utilize the spin move that will take you in another direction. Here are some examples, notice the angle or direction each player is running prior to the spin - they're not running directly at the basket:

Dre Baldwin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdBRqyBQfcU

Russell Westbrook: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnsSRevo5Z8

Grant Hill (maintaining his dribble for later than normal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2DEd8uQrE8

In-and-Out's to Spins:

Tyreke Evans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47fh8KKB4HM

Tim Hardaway (a highlight I've been studying for almost 20 years): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImQmIy1rZB0

Oh I was referring to the spin move and gather type. Something like this:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQAvmpBuJn0

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8EzJgOD7WQ

I really want to learn this it would be a great addition to my game especially if a defender doesn't bite on my crossover I can spin. Any tips?

Oops didn't see the previous posts. Tyreke's spin move is crazy I love it. One thing I noticed about him is that we is so deceptive. He doesn't even look like he's trying but he catches the defender nearly all the time. Great crossover. Thanks for the help guys. Gunna Go practice this move some more

I've never been able to develop an elite spin move in the open court. I love using the spin move in the post. Instead I've perfected the Manu Ginobili behind-the-back dribble.

The one tip I can give is try to make your footwork and dribble as fast and concise as possible. Fit the entire spin move in as quick of a move as possible.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    I've never been able to develop an elite spin move in the open court. I love using the spin move in the post. Instead I've perfected the Manu Ginobili behind-the-back dribble.

The one tip I can give is try to make your footwork and dribble as fast and concise as possible. Fit the entire spin move in as quick of a move as possible.
    dribble spin moves are best used when you've faked a seal-out, and want to change direction.

It gives you a lot of momentum, so if there's contact you're not easily thrown off. It also allows you to protect the ball, and it prevents from the need to criss-cross your feet.

So it's pretty useful... of course like most other things in basketball it comes down to footwork, so practice it without the ball first, then with the ball.

National High School Star

I've only really used a spin move regularly. But I find it beat to actually use your defender like an object as roll of them. This has many advantages. I start the move either with a cross from right to left or an in and out move with my left, as they step up to steal or guard, I then place my right should against them and roll towards my right using my left on the ball, maintaining contact with the defender putting them on the back foot.

Well today I tried a spin move in a game and nearly snapped my leg off...
    I was feeling good, having a good game so I felt hey why not just try. I didn't make the defender bite so he probably knew I was going to spin so he cut me off and I tripped. I dont know why its not the same to fake on a spin as it is on a regular crossover. Maybe I have to practice more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiarip
    dribble spin moves are best used when you've faked a seal-out, and want to change direction.

It gives you a lot of momentum, so if there's contact you're not easily thrown off. It also allows you to protect the ball, and it prevents from the need to criss-cross your feet.

So it's pretty useful... of course like most other things in basketball it comes down to footwork, so practice it without the ball first, then with the ball.
    For sure. I don't think people realize how good NBA players are at the spin move. It's like breathing in the NBA...

I wish I could become elite with it. Don't get me wrong I can do it well but I'm no master!

Well today I tried a spin move in a game and nearly snapped my leg off...
    I was feeling good, having a good game so I felt hey why not just try. I didn't make the defender bite so he probably knew I was going to spin so he cut me off and I tripped. I dont know why its not the same to fake on a spin as it is on a regular crossover. Maybe I have to practice more.
    It's mostly because you're still thinking about the move as you're doing it and you don't have the muscle memory/quickness down with it.

Keep practicing!