Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 815161718

Thread: Atheists.

Default Re: Atheists.

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    I am telling you that if "YOU" didn't want to save her then "YOU" wouldn't..."YOU" did because "YOU" wanted to...(which is good in this case)

If those firemen's gut reaction is to save, then that is what "THEY" want...that is probably what alot of them took the job for...

also, I have a pretty good feeling that this is the type of greed that would be viewed as a very good kind of greed to have...

if it is true that "there is no such thing as a selfless act", then I am betting the greedyness of making others happy or saving lives is better than they greedyness of just pleasing yourself without helping others...

that saying is kind of unfair, due to the fact that we all only do things that "WE" want to do...no matter what it is
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9JcX2X7XnM

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CasterL
    I consider myself an agnostic thiest.

I think it is incorrect and arrogant for us to be atheists, especially on a scientific basis. some of the greatest scientists in history have believed in god or have been agnostic-thiestical types. einstein, stephen hawking, francis collins, etc etc.
    I think the word you're looking for is Deist.

It's unfair to throw that bit out there about some of the greatest scientists in history choosing to be deists...when it comes down to it, the question of whether there was a creator present during the singularity isn't about who's smarter and who's not. It's a judgment call arrived to usually from your life experiences. I can sit here and tell you some of the dumbest people in the world have been religious but that doesn't hold any weight.

With theists, it always comes back to one question: "then, who/what created God"? If you stick with the creation event as a religious person, you can't choose to ignore it when it comes to your own God.

At some point whether you're a non-believer or a believer, you need to conclude that at the very beginning something created itself...as far as we understand.

For example...what seems more likely to you? That some bottom-of-the-sea-dwelling one-celled organism spontaneously generated or that a dolphin did the same?

To me, the question about the origins of the cosmos is the classic chicken or the egg dilemma. But if I had a gun to my head, I would have to say "egg" every time.

Banned

double post

Last edited by Take Your Lumps; 05-18-2009 at 07:38 AM.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by step_back
    I'm definately agnostic,I don't believe in religous scripture but I do believe in a higher power and the spiritual world. To have the same belief as an Athiest I think is some what naive.
    i could argue it is more naive to believe in something the stupidest men alive are able to grasp. god is not some difficult concept, god is in fact an easy to understand hypothesis for a question that we cannot (yet) answer.

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

almost all NDEers say that "God" isn't really a being...
    God's "being" is non-being

and by definition-- MYSTERY

Well we will all find out what lies ahead soon. Then, you will who is right. That's the most messed up thing about this is someone is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker
    I'm religious unaffiliated and things seem to be going pretty well. Maybe if I prayed to god I would start getting some *****.
    Prayer can be a powerful thing my friend.

what happens to you when you flat-line in a hospital and live:

Near Death Experiences

Characteristics

The content of near death experiences may vary by culture [12]. Children, who typically do not have enough time to develop strongly towards one faith, had very limited NDEs. Examples of this include a boy simply having talked to his brother in his NDE and a daughter having a conversation with her mother.[13][14] The phenomenology of an NDE usually includes physiological, psychological and alleged transcendental aspects.[15] Typically, the experience follows a distinct progression:[10][16][17]

1. A very unpleasant sound/noise is the first sensory impression to be noticed (R. Moody: Life after Life);
    2. A sense of being dead;
    3. Pleasant emotions; calmness and serenity;
    4. An out-of-body experience; a sensation of floating above one's own body and seeing the surrounding area;
    5. Floating up a blue tunnel with a strong, bright light or garden at the end;
    6. Meeting deceased relatives or spiritual figures;
    7. Encountering a being of light, or a light (often interpreted as being the deity or deities they personally believe in);
    8. Being given a life review (the "life-flashing-before-your-eyes" phenomenon);
    9. Reaching a border or boundary;
    10. A feeling of being returned to the body, often accompanied by a reluctance.
    11. Feeling of warmth even though naked.

it isn't proof, but it is legit evidence, and with the thousands of people that have stories like this it would enough eye witness testomony for a Judge to rule that a higher power does exist...
    That's a rather dishonest conclusion to reach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvxFXkv7L24
    http://www.skepdic.com/nde.html

Rastafari

I am more of an agnostic than an athiest. I think there is some sort of unexplainable higher power which governs the universe on some level or another, but I dont think that we humans are currently capable of understanding it. That said, I dislike organized religion for a multitude of reasons, but mainly because it seems like an institution created only to imprison and control the minds of impressionable people.

Quote Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
    I am more of an agnostic than an athiest. I think there is some sort of unexplainable higher power which governs the universe on some level or another, but I dont think that we humans are currently capable of understanding it. That said, I dislike organized religion for a multitude of reasons, but mainly because it seems like an institution created only to imprison and control the minds of impressionable people.
    I think even your most religiously devout person would agree with this. Faith cannot be understood.