Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Total Recall (remake) - August 3rd 2012

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    i mean there really wasn't this untouched depth, or other things that needed to be explored IMO.
    There was, but in the Philip K. Dick story it is based on. Nothing he ever wrote is shallow in the slightest. They took his story and turned it into a Schwarzenegger action film. What did you expect?

7-time NBA All-Star

I always loved the original, and hate that all these remakes are being made. Especially for a movie like this that isn't very old, and I doubt they're going to top. When a movie is already made, I don't see the point in doing it again. Make a sequel if anything. That's just me, though. In fairness, it could be a good movie itself. I just don't see the point. Not everything should be remade, especially pretty recent movies. There's a place for remakes, but Hollywood got carried away years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebowsky
    There was, but in the Philip K. Dick story it is based on. Nothing he ever wrote is shallow in the slightest. They took his story and turned it into a Schwarzenegger action film. What did you expect?
    The Philip K. Dick story is 20 pages long. I'm amazed somebody could make even one movie from it, let alone 2.

Quote Originally Posted by embersyc
    The Philip K. Dick story is 20 pages long. I'm amazed somebody could make even one movie from it, let alone 2.
    Of course the whole alien Mice that want to take over the world subplot was totally untouched in the original...

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    As I expected, the early reviews say it is crap: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/total_recall_2010/

I was hoping I was wrong and this would be good, but everything from actors, to the screenwriters, to the director are downgrades from the original, so these reviews are not surprising.
    damn it is getting hammered

I had my hopes up for this too...

not interested any more

Raz
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Hollywood is getting weaker and weaker. Remake after remake.
    21 Jump Street? Miami Vice? Total Recall? New Spiderman? New Superman?

Upon many more. When will they remake Forrest Gump? Maybe a Cosby Show movie? How about a Full House movie?

Pathetic attempt at money grabbing. What happened to original movies - this spells the complete demise of Farrell's career as well.

LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Spiderman and 21 Jumpstreet were both good movies so as long as they keep it aroudn 50% success

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

Most Hollywood remakes arent even half as good. as the original.

Raz

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker
    Spiderman and 21 Jumpstreet were both good movies so as long as they keep it aroudn 50% success
    I won't watch either. Spiderman looks just the same as the Maguire/ Raimi ones. 21 Jumpstreet was an average show, and I can't watch anything that fat ass actor is in. The guy is so crass, and I love edgy comedians, I just find Jonah hill annoying as hell. He's a huge try hard.

Jumpstreet highest rated comedy of the year so that's your loss.

Anyway, not surprising, but a bummer Total Recall is getting the beatdown on RT. I was really hoping it'd be good.

Raz

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Jumpstreet highest rated comedy of the year so that's your loss.
    SMH at ratings. If I paid any attention to film ratings, I would be watching hot garbage like Finding Nemo and the Hangover.

Last really funny comedy I saw was Bridesmaids.

Da Mavs

Quote Originally Posted by Raz
    SMH at ratings. If I paid any attention to film ratings, I would be watching hot garbage like Finding Nemo and the Hangover.

Last really funny comedy I saw was Bridesmaids.
    Calling Nemo garbage, hell even the hangover garbage is hilarious.

Da Mavs

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    As I expected, the early reviews say it is crap: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/total_recall_2010/

I was hoping I was wrong and this would be good, but everything from actors, to the screenwriters, to the director are downgrades from the original, so these reviews are not surprising.
    Not surprised at all. The trailer just looked so meh. They spent $200 million on this while it already existed...I mean come up with something fresh using that cast and that budget.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

If you've read the short story "We can Remember it for you Wholesale" from Phillip K. Dick then you know the original Total Recall has very little to do with its original source material. Seems a pointless movie to remake as someone else said the short story it was "loosely" based on was only about 20 pages and it doesn't appear they are making it any closer to the source material. They are just updating an action movie that really doesn't need updating nor does anyone give a shit about having updated.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    If you've read the short story "We can Remember it for you Wholesale" from Phillip K. Dick then you know the original Total Recall has very little to do with its original source material. Seems a pointless movie to remake as someone else said the short story it was "loosely" based on was only about 20 pages and it doesn't appear they are making it any closer to the source material. They are just updating an action movie that really doesn't need updating nor does anyone give a shit about having updated.
    I wish they took the general idea, and then made drastic changes to the movies. As somebody else mentioned, sequels are better because they may at least attempt something new with the old idea. This just looked like the exact story scene by scene with minor twists rather than major ones.