Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: keep sleeping on the spurs

What constitutes "sleeping" on the spurs? Not acknowledging them as strong title contenders

Arcadia, CA

theyre not strong title contenders

Quote Originally Posted by macpierce
    theyre not strong title contenders
    that's my point, i think we all recognize they are very good, but a bit past their prime, and an extreme longshot for the title (like at the level of Dallas or Denver, where so many things would have to break right it's not really worth considering...)

Quote Originally Posted by spursdynasty420
    lol??? lakers will fall apart age wise faster then the spurs. the lakers will be irrelevant soon
    you're irrelevant

Da Mavs

It's pretty obvious the Spurs are a good team but they're in the same tier as the Mavs or OKC at this point. Duncan or Manu won't be getting any younger. They are however very well coached and their peak is likely a WCF exit like 2008.

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

lol??? lakers will fall apart age wise faster then the spurs. the lakers will be irrelevant soon
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by macpierce
    youre trying too hard bro
    Do some research and you won't look so stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by indiefan24
    you're irrelevant
    Like all of your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    that's my point, i think we all recognize they are very good, but a bit past their prime, and an extreme longshot for the title (like at the level of Dallas or Denver, where so many things would have to break right it's not really worth considering...)
    I don't think they're as much of a longshot as everyone here (with nearly zero insight at all) seem to think. ISH posters seem to have this overall very bogus menality that is rarely the case.

"Teams that have been good for a long time MUST drop off, and cannot win without horrible seasons". <<< This is false. Spurs have won 4 titles without a losing season over the course of about 10 years.

"Young teams with a good core of young talent have a lot of 'upside' and will improve every year and be contenders for years!" <<< This is ALSO false. It rarely happens. It does happen, but rarely.

ISH posters, and NBA fans in general like to "guess" with no insight and try to pretend they're intelligent and plugged in if it pans out. Fact is, in this case, they have no idea. Spurs had tons of injuries and still won 50, and still knocked off a strong team in the playoffs. At the end of the season they were considered a strong threat to get past the Lakers (everyone forgets this). Yeah they lost to the Suns. . .but they're bench players were red hot from three in a few of those close games. It happens.

Spurs will be one of the top 8 in power rankings this coming season. Most likely top 5. If their chances of winning a titles are somehow "done" while they will be rated so high, I'm not sure exactly what people here expect, #1 or #2 to "have a chance"? Gimmie a break.

Oh, note: Last season the Spurs were power ranked at #5 overall before the season started (ESPN), and #2 right before the playoffs after the season ended. Yes, numer two.
    Last edited by SinJackal; 07-23-2010 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SinJackal
    Agreed.

Like all of your posts.

I don't think they're as much of a longshot as everyone here (with nearly zero insight at all) seem to think. ISH posters seem to have this overall very bogus menality that is rarely the case.

"Teams that have been good for a long time MUST drop off, and cannot win without horrible seasons". <<< This is false. Spurs have won 4 titles without a losing season over the course of about 10 years.

"Young teams with a good core of young talent have a lot of 'upside' and will improve every year and be contenders for years!" <<< This is ALSO false. It rarely happens. It does happen, but rarely.

ISH posters, and NBA fans in general like to "guess" with no insight and try to pretend they're intelligent and plugged in if it pans out. Fact is, in this case, they have no idea. Spurs had tons of injuries and still won 50, and still knocked off a strong team in the playoffs. At the end of the season they were considered a strong threat to get past the Lakers (everyone forgets this). Yeah they lost to the Suns. . .but they're bench players were red hot from three in a few of those close games. It happens.

Spurs will be one of the top 8 in power rankings this coming season. Most likely top 5. If their chances of winning a titles are somehow "done" while they will be rated so high, I'm not sure exactly what people here expect, #1 or #2 to "have a chance"? Gimmie a break.
    People need to stop with arguing something may happen as it being
    "possible". Anything is possible. It's not LIKELY though unless they make some sort of change to their team. THeir main problem is the age/frailty of their stars, and every year older does not make that situation better. Yes, SA CAN win the title next year. To do that, they'd need to jump over LA and possibly MIA in the finals. Who realistically (not pie in the sky but a decent chance) sees that happening?

So if you are saying SA has a small chance to win the title, like 3-5% then i'm not sleeping on them because i agree.

People need to stop with arguing something may happen as it being
    "possible". Anything is possible. It's not LIKELY though unless they make some sort of change to their team. THeir main problem is the age/frailty of their stars, and every year older does not make that situation better. Yes, SA CAN win the title next year. To do that, they'd need to jump over LA and possibly MIA in the finals. Who realistically (not pie in the sky but a decent chance) sees that happening?
    Last season the Spurs were power ranked at #5 overall before the season started (ESPN), and #2 right before the playoffs after the season ended. Yes, numer two.

People need to get over this boring idea that there's a guarantee it's going to be a Lakers/Heat finals. Don't forget the top ranked Lakers for a 4 peat chance got smashed out of the playoffs by SA before. Last time the Heat won a title, they lost in the first round the next season.

The odds LA and Heat are both #1 seeds and make the finals are barely 5%. 5% is probably even too high. 2% maybe. I'm not saying SA is definitely winning a title, but to think they have nearly NO shot is ludicrous. Spurs have a better chance of getting to the conf finals or finals than every other team besides maybe 3-4. The only teams with better chances are Magic and Celtics (due to being in the east only), and Heat and LA.

Who else has a better chance when the Spurs obviously have the tools to get past any team? Jazz if Jefferson works out? Being #3-6 overall isn't a low chance. . .that's an incredible position to be in.

Last season the Spurs were power ranked at #5 overall before the season started (ESPN), and #2 right before the playoffs after the season ended. Yes, numer two.

People need to get over this boring idea that there's a guarantee it's going to be a Lakers/Heat finals. Don't forget the top ranked Lakers for a 4 peat chance got smashed out of the playoffs by SA before. Last time the Heat won a title, they lost in the first round the next season.

The odds LA and Heat are both #1 seeds and make the finals are barely 5%. 5% is probably even too high. 2% maybe. I'm not saying SA is definitely winning a title, but to think they have nearly NO shot is ludicrous. Spurs have a better chance of getting to the conf finals or finals than every other team besides maybe 3-4. The only teams with better chances are Magic and Celtics (due to being in the east only), and Heat and LA.

Who else has a better chance when the Spurs obviously have the tools to get past any team? Jazz if Jefferson works out? Being #3-6 overall isn't a low chance. . .that's an incredible position to be in.
    i don't think we disagree, i think the OP just has a higher opinion of the spurs than is realistic. We went through this pre playoffs, "WHY IS EVERYONE SLEEPING ON THE SPURS?" - because nobody felt strongly they could get through. Close is not through. Close is close. I think the difference between the spurs now and then is now, we'd be suprised if they won, and before, we were suprised they lost.

i don't think we disagree, i think the OP just has a higher opinion of the spurs than is realistic. We went through this pre playoffs, "WHY IS EVERYONE SLEEPING ON THE SPURS?" - because nobody felt strongly they could get through. Close is not through. Close is close. I think the difference between the spurs now and then is now, we'd be suprised if they won, and before, we were suprised they lost.
    Yeah I see what you're saying. I agree with you then. They aren't favorites or anything, but of a team that isn't LA or Miami, I don't think any team has a legitimate argument for having a better shot without saying "my team's in the east, so we have a better shot at the finals". That doesn't really mean it's a better team though :P imo anyway.

But it looks like we don't disagree after all. :P Senisible person on here for once.

Learning to shoot layups laker24's Avatar

the spurs uh!!! well wake me up after the first round exit.

Agreed.

Like all of your posts.

Oh, note: Last season the Spurs were power ranked at #5 overall before the season started (ESPN), and #2 right before the playoffs after the season ended. Yes, numer two.
    lol idiot

you better just hope the suns even make the playoffs this year. how do you think a spurs vs suns outcome would fair without amare?? LOL i cant WAIT
    funny because spurs fans are always saying amare sucks.

Don't forget the top ranked Lakers for a 4 peat chance got smashed out of the playoffs by SA before.
    look at the lakers' roster from the 2002-2003 and tell me if they had anyone outside of shaq and kobe.

The odds LA and Heat are both #1 seeds and make the finals are barely 5%. 5% is probably even too high. 2% maybe.
    ha how do you come up with this calculation? of course the *purs have a chance, every team in the NBA has a chance no matter how minuscule it is.