Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Who should Pistons draft in 2013 NBA Draft?

Austin Daye is a FA too. The Grizzlies didn't make a qualifying offer. I wouldn't mind bringing him back (as long as it isn't for too much money).

I'm on board for Iggy. We are sorely lacking in the veteran leadership area. I don't see that leadership coming from Josh Smith.

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

dd24 - we have always agreed about Daye - is still only 24 and will be very cheap you would think. Worth a shot as he still has all that untapped potential...

I think Smith is more a boom or bust signing than Iggy, who would be a much safer pick, but not going to set the league on fire. If Smith can successfully move full time to SF next to the twin towers, that could be a very, very devastating front court, and a defensive nightmare if you’re a team that likes attacking the rim.

Would give us a lot of lineup flexibility because Monroe can legitimately play PF and C and Smith can legitimately play SF and PF.

Dre + Monroe

Monroe + Smith

Dre + Smith

Gives us a few different looks.

Decent college freshman

I think signing Smith is less risky due to his age, but wouldn't hate Iguodala either.

What do people think the max potential of this lineup is?

Calderon Knight Siva
    KCP Stuckey/Singler
    Smith Jerebko/Middleton
    Monroe Charlie V Mitchell
    Drummond Kratsov(and maybe a Jason Collins type)

I'm not sure its a worse lineup than someone like Indiana or Chicago is rolling out there, if Drummond comes close to reaching his potential.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    I think signing Smith is less risky due to his age, but wouldn't hate Iguodala either.

What do people think the max potential of this lineup is?

Calderon Knight Siva
    KCP Stuckey/Singler
    Smith Jerebko/Middleton
    Monroe Charlie V Mitchell
    Drummond Kratsov(and maybe a Jason Collins type)

I'm not sure its a worse lineup than someone like Indiana or Chicago is rolling out there, if Drummond comes close to reaching his potential.
    I like Smith more than Iggy too. I think he's the better defensive player and he's more suited for SF than Iggy. I don't think it's the best position for either of them though. I see Igoudala as more of a 2 and Smith as more of a 4. With Smith he can play that spot and Monroe or Drummond can be at C which I see as more valueable. I don't think Calderon resigns, so that lineup will be a bit different. I also don't see KCP as the starter on the first game of the season. Anyway around it, that should be a lineup that would fight for a 8 seed into the playoffs. I've always said it, but that's about the worst spot you can be at in the NBA. You don't have cap space to get better and you don't have lottery picks to get better. That's exactly how you get stuck in mediocrity.

Decent college freshman

8 seed this year, sure, but I think its a tough argument to make that its ceiling is an 8 seed for years to come. You'd have to really not believe in Drummond, at the least.

NBA lottery pick

8 seed this year, sure, but I think its a tough argument to make that its ceiling is an 8 seed for years to come. You'd have to really not believe in Drummond, at the least.
    I think defensively that front line would be extremely intimidating. Scoring is what would really scare me. Smith doesn't always take the smartest shots ad he's not that good outside on the perimeter.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I think defensively that front line would be extremely intimidating. Scoring is what would really scare me. Smith doesn't always take the smartest shots ad he's not that good outside on the perimeter.
    True, but we would have a top 3 guards who could all potentially shoot 37%+ from 3 and Calderon can help guys like Smith and Drummond get efficient shots at the rim.

NBA lottery pick

True, but we would have a top 3 guards who could all potentially shoot 37%+ from 3 and Calderon can help guys like Smith and Drummond get efficient shots at the rim.
    It's really the guard play that scares me more than anything. We have no clue what we have with KCP. Knight may never be a true PG, but is at least a good outside shooter. Stuckey is more of a slasher and hasn't always been used right in Detroit. Calderon won't necessarily be a Piston.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    It's really the guard play that scares me more than anything. We have no clue what we have with KCP. Knight may never be a true PG, but is at least a good outside shooter. Stuckey is more of a slasher and hasn't always been used right in Detroit. Calderon won't necessarily be a Piston.
    Sure, but the question was bout a lineup including Calderon. Knight as a 3rd guard doesn't leave near as much to worry about. We already know he can shoot 3s.

8th seed this year, but when Monroe is in his 6th, 7th, 8th year and Drummond is in his 4th, 5th, 6th year - I expect these guys to be ABSOLUTELY dominating the entire league. They are indeed still very young and even very raw when you look at how far they can still develop.

I am happy with the pieces we have and think that if Knight can reach is potential, we have a contending team in 3 years time.

Decent college freshman

Yah, people underrated Monroe especially. He compares very well to guys like Aldridge and Lopez at the same age.

NBA lottery pick

Well, even though it's a draft thread we've been off topic for a bit and it would likely just be us in this thread to respond if we make a new one anyhow.... It looks like the Pistons won't be getting Iggy. The Kings offered him a huge contract. I'm sure Detroit isn't going to try to top that.

The latest rumor is Detroit wants to trade for Rudy Gay. They'd be sending the expiring contracts of Stuckey and CV to the Raptors. I actually think he would be a much better fit than Igoudala or Smith anyhow. He's expensive but it's a much shorter contract. I often wondered why the Pistons let Toronto get him instead of making the trade for him themselves earlier this season. I actually find it a bit odd that Toronto would let him go already. They have some really good young players. Anyway around it, I would gladly take him.

PG- Knight
    SG- KCP
    SF- Gay
    PF- Monroe
    C- Drummond

That's enough to get higher than an 8 seed into the playoffs as long as KCP can provide what we hope at SG. That's a lineup that would give us much better outside shooting and it would be one that could get up and down the floor fast. Hopefully we could resign Bynum to be a backup PG. There's teams showing interest in him. Singler could play the 2 or 3. There's always English who could be used if someone got hurt too. I wouldn't mind bringing back Daye if that trade went down too. He could play SF or be the stretch 4 that we would need.

Decent college freshman

Raptors turned us down and say they aren't dealing Gay right now

Sacramento pulled the offer from Iggy, but sounds like Denver has a bigger one on the table.

Is there any way we can do this trade for Gay, and sign Iggy as well?

Drummon
    Monroe
    Gay
    Iggy
    Knight

With KCP off the bench with ample minutes to develop him...?

That could be a very, very good team over the next 4 years if Dre and Monroe develop the way in which we want them too...