Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Default Re: Royce White: Releases Statement - Wants Private Bus At Times

Quote Originally Posted by ZeN
    I see what what your saying.

I personally feel that regardless of what you do, there is no cure.

No matter what medicinal products you take or therapy you experience.. If you have these issues, you are always a few catalyst situations away from rebounding to the foul state.

Which is why no matter what you do, it is important to adjust the lifestyle to things that will maintain a certain sense of equilibrium. Work on habits that will allow you to be stable, avoid things that set off the condition, and face problems with an open mind and willingness to change.

Unfortunately most issues like the one in the OP can only be solved by Shock. He will have to suffer in forcing himself to face reality, evaluate the situation, and come to terms with what needs to be done for his life to change.
    Right. I respectfully disagree. But... It would probably help for me to explain what I think "cured" means. When I say I think it can be cured, I don't see a cure as going back to exactly how you were pre anxiety disorder. I see a cure as now having the knowledge and understanding as to what they really are which increases your ability to cope when the symptoms do arise. Making them come far less frequently and with a much ity to the point where it's not even something you spend a lot of time overthinkink and worrying about compiling the problem and adding fear.

Sorry I'm on with my phone right now. But a brief correction cure meaning more understanding leading to less frequency and lower intensity when those symptoms do come back.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by C-Webb4
    Sorry I'm on with my phone right now. But a brief correction cure meaning more understanding leading to less frequency and lower intensity when those symptoms do come back.
    Yeah I definitely agree with that. Without understanding there can be no resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by blacknapalm
    but he's still going to be flying to most games. he's just taking a bus in driveable situations. when someone is suffering from anxiety, you want to gradually expose them to their stressor/trigger, not immerse them with no escape.

i don't know if that will work but i can see how it's an early sensible plan. as he gets more used to flying, he should be able to ditch the bus. i'm guessing that's the end goal here. it'll be interesting how this unfolds or if he'll go MIA again later in the season.

as far as the college distance thing, i know he drove with his grandpa from ames to louisville for the tourney. that's like 650+ miles...
    He's going to get to the games late ,not be with his teammates. It's a terrible solution. I don't get why he isn't taking time off to fix this, to learn to fly, to get medication, etc. But this thought that he'll just be separate from the team is no solution at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115

I actually think this makes some sense. I don't know how bad the schedule will be for the Rockets (in the future, maybe the NBA takes tis into consideration) but this makese sense.
    Well, firstly, there is NO CHANCE the schedule makers take one players circumstance and adjust the schedule to it. That would be ridiculous.

And even if they did (which they won't), what could they do? Houston is far from every other city except Dallas and San Antonio...and even those cities aren't that close. Everything else is a definite flight, and long flights too.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    He's going to get to the games late ,not be with his teammates. It's a terrible solution. I don't get why he isn't taking time off to fix this, to learn to fly, to get medication, etc. But this thought that he'll just be separate from the team is no solution at all.
    That's the thing that most people don't seem to understand. Anxiety is not like a torn ACL or a broken bone or something of that nature where you take sometime off, get it fixed up and healed up, rehab, and you're good to go. It's really somewhat of a continual longterm process. It's not like "ok go fix your anxiety and come back when you don't have it anymore." The truth of the is any team that picked him would be taking a risk. I think they must've had to take that into consideration before picking him and if not, that would be on them for not realizing the seriousness and the patience required for someone with such a problem.

update: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...945_story.html

Royce White finally got to focus on basketball Monday, joining the Houston Rockets after he missed the first week of training camp to form a long-term plan for his anxiety issues.

White, the 16th overall pick in the draft, has a deal with the team to travel by bus to some games this season, a compromise he says will help him cope with his anxiety, fear of flying and obsessive compulsive disorder over the long term.

“He’s got to catch up on what we’re doing,” McHale said. “It’s always hard when you’re a young guy and you miss early camp practice, when you’re trying to establish your principles and what you’re doing. But he’ll be fine.”

The Rockets decided he was too good to pass up. And over the summer, White flew with the team to Las Vegas and to the rookie orientation in New York City, suggesting that he had a handle on his aerophobia.

As training camp approached, though, White felt apprehensive about starting his first NBA season without a plan to cope with his disorder. He contacted the Rockets through his agent and the two sides negotiated their arrangement.

“I’m excited,” White said. “It’s a different plan than I’ve ever had going into a season. I’m happy that the Rockets are willing to work with me, and I’m excited to see what I can do under new circumstances.”
    “Royce is going to have a little bit of a different path in the NBA,” McHale said. “If your choice is to have a 10-hour bus ride, or an hour flight, everyone would want to take an hour flight. He’s just going to have to work his way through all that stuff.

“We’re here to help him and support him as much as we can,” McHale said, “but he eventually has to be responsible to your team and your teammates. That’s the biggest thing.”

On Monday, White easily answered questions in front of a throng of media. If anything, White said going public with his personal struggle has been cathartic.

“In a lot of areas, we’re actors,” White said with a smile. “The camera doesn’t frighten me. Planes do.”

He hopes the attention his situation has generated creates more awareness for mental-health issues and treatment.

“It helps for me, just to be honest,” he said. “One of the things that comes with anxiety is trying to hide from what you’re scared of and oftentimes, that is the spotlight. Being honest and having good feedback obviously helps me out.”

His teammates seemed happy to have White back, greeting him with high-fives and encouragement when practice began. If White can blossom, the Rockets think he can provide a strong — and much-needed — inside presence.

Local High School Star Mr Know It All's Avatar

As someone who has a profound fear of flying myself since I was young, I can honestly say I feel Royce White's pain and anxiety. I have a flight scheduled for a trip to England this winter, and I am already dreading and stressing massively over it.

In my opinion, or at least in my case, it is due mostly to a loss of control. You can throw as many statistics about the safety of flying as you want at me, but it still can't relieve that anxiety and complete lack of control that goes with putting your life in the hands of that pilot on that airplane. It's an irrational fear, there's no doubt about it, but a completely understandable one speaking from my own shoes.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    Maybe basketball isn't the ideal career for him....must be tough but still he's going to struggle if this is the case.
    Agreed he's going to have weeks where he's playing in NY one night and Houston (just using random examples) he'll miss a ton of games if he travels only by bus. Playing in the NBA flying is required dude needs to find another career.

I lost some sympathy for him when I realized he left college early. He knew going in that flying was apart of being an NBA player yet he left college with no degree so that he could equip himself for a career more suited to his illness. And anxiety doesn't appear to have curtailed his criminal activities.
    Last edited by bettalaylow; 10-10-2012 at 04:20 AM.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Know It All
    As someone who has a profound fear of flying myself since I was young, I can honestly say I feel Royce White's pain and anxiety. I have a flight scheduled for a trip to England this winter, and I am already dreading and stressing massively over it.

In my opinion, or at least in my case, it is due mostly to a loss of control. You can throw as many statistics about the safety of flying as you want at me, but it still can't relieve that anxiety and complete lack of control that goes with putting your life in the hands of that pilot on that airplane. It's an irrational fear, there's no doubt about it, but a completely understandable one speaking from my own shoes.
    I have a fear of flying and I played basketball at a small DI school even for my school flying was a requirement. This guy played at a big school how the hell was playing in college. But what finally helped me get over fear of flying was Xanax. I've done 18 hr flights sleeping like a baby. Before that I had to white knuckle it.

bump

so royce got to the game in detroit last night, he got a DNP-CD, i guess he flew

has anybody heard anything new regarding his fear of flying, like official statements from the team, or from white himself

im surprised nobody mentioned this, after all the fuss over him wanting the bus, and appearing to be unable to fly to away games

unless there was something i missed . . .

I think a lot of people are afraid to fly but what his anxiety does is it take that fear and amplifies it. I hope he has good teammates that can give him confidence. He seems like he could be one hell of a player. I was watching some clips on youtube and he has a similar body type as Charles Barkley.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    I think a lot of people are afraid to fly but what his anxiety does is it take that fear and amplifies it. I hope he has good teammates that can give him confidence. He seems like he could be one hell of a player. I was watching some clips on youtube and he has a similar body type as Charles Barkley.

Without being short...and his body is a lot more dense...he has some of those Barkley qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by LosBulls
    He needs to smoke some weed before every flight. I bet it would solve his problem.

Petition for the NBA to legalize weed for him plz.
    that's not true haha. Also weed stays in your system for awhile and would make him groggy for the next game.

I think he just needs to fly. If he has to fly to SOME games, he will get over his anxiety. I have anxiety, too, and lately it's become to where I don't fly. However, when I was young and I few often... I got used to it.

-Smak